Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: brodielayne
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!

Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

There is currently not a lot of solid information on this resort, its prices, room types and amenities. More information will be added bit by bit as it becomes available


Expected Opening: July 01, 2019 (according to official website, see below for link)

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A new Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
How: WA Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, southwest of Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport) and can be reached by speedboat. There may be an option of private yacht transfer (30 mins from Malι) but this is presumably to be announced at a later date

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands
• The resort has 10 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years
• Click here to visit the resort's website for more information


Prices:

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700


***** Upgrade Cost*****
Oct 2019
Reef Villa $200++
OWV $400++


Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)
RV (Reef Villa, presumably Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, presumably also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)



Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)


Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: TBA
• Tel: +960-4000-300


Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)


Pictures (resort under construction):
• January, 2018 Link to post
• June, 2018 Link to post
• Approx October, 2018 Link to post
• January, 2019 Link to post
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 13, 19, 2:24 pm
  #436  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Gouna , Hurghada (HRG)
Programs: IHG:Plat Amb QR:Gold HH:Diamond
Posts: 346
Originally Posted by Stivelio View Post
. I would like to highlight that our confirmation letters, does not indicate the transfer rates.
While true the links in the confirmation E Mail don't work and the basic message doesn't mention the rates .If you print out your confirmation from the website it does indicate transfer rates as $370 ++ return ! I don't think that contesting the mistake is cheap . I live beside the red sea and I am aware of yacht charter costs and even at a return price $370 is high for a shared boat that could transfer 10 people very comfortably for 30 minutes .$3000 will get you a 70-120 foot yacht for a day ! I hope they honour the mistake and I can use the $370 to treat myself to an appetiser in the restaurant (Probably) .
sambo150 likes this.
crombiestone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:26 pm
  #437  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, MN
Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Posts: 715
I don't think anyone in this thread is being cheap and are fully aware that the Maldives cost $$$$. But I don't think many want to be totally hosed over on a boat transfer. Heck being from MN give me an 18' Alumacraft with an OB Evinrude and good to go!
Hawkeyefan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 3:06 pm
  #438  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Programs: AA, UR, SPG, Hilton - Diamond, IHG - (Plat Amb) Spire Amb
Posts: 796
Originally Posted by andyyac1 View Post
Cmon guys. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who want to be valued guests. Ive been a loyal repeater to the Conrad Maldives and others for a decade now. I know the Maldives inside out.

The yacht transfer is exactly that... a stunning multi million dollar yacht from what I can tell. Jeez... if you are .....ing so hard about this you should definitely stay at home. The Maldives is very special, very expensive part of the world.

If you start threatening and being super cheap...they will shut down the opportunity we have. I gladly pay the seaplane every time X3 people because it is an event, and the logistics are super expensive there.

Please please guys don't be cheap.... or if you're looking to save money...Hawaii is much closer and cheaper. Or try Ohio maybe?
How about you don't try to dictate to others to just allow themselves to be hosed with breach of contract. The reservations specifically state 370 + taxes per person return trip which is the same verbiage we have seen with the Conrad and is understood to be round trip. To try and change it after we have booked is breach of contract. Are you implying that just because we have discretionary money to spend on going to the Maldives, we should accept breach of contract?
Carl Christensen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 3:32 pm
  #439  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SAN
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen View Post
How about you don't try to dictate to others to just allow themselves to be hosed with breach of contract. The reservations specifically state 370 + taxes per person return trip which is the same verbiage we have seen with the Conrad and is understood to be round trip. To try and change it after we have booked is breach of contract. Are you implying that just because we have discretionary money to spend on going to the Maldives, we should accept breach of contract?
Lets be fair. There is not one instance of a breach of contract here. Until they deny someone, as far as I am concerned they have honored their end of the deal. I have a quoted confirmed email/“contract”. I expect they will honor it.

This resort looks to be an awesome experience. I choose to concentrate on that.

TD

andyyac1 likes this.

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Feb 13, 19 at 3:55 pm
Traveler Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 5:26 pm
  #440  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by andyyac1 View Post
Cmon guys. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who want to be valued guests. Ive been a loyal repeater to the Conrad Maldives and others for a decade now. I know the Maldives inside out.

The yacht transfer is exactly that... a stunning multi million dollar yacht from what I can tell. Jeez... if you are .....ing so hard about this you should definitely stay at home. The Maldives is very special, very expensive part of the world.

If you start threatening and being super cheap...they will shut down the opportunity we have. I gladly pay the seaplane every time X3 people because it is an event, and the logistics are super expensive there.

Please please guys don't be cheap.... or if you're looking to save money...Hawaii is much closer and cheaper. Or try Ohio maybe?

Call me sensitive or whatever - but I find it inappropriate for you to be calling anyone 'cheap'. The issue is definitely not being cheap, rich or whatever in between.

Just because this Waldorf Astoria is in the Maldives, an expensive resort or they simply provide a 'stunning multi-million dollar yacht' does not make it right or OK for them to offer one thing, which the guest has accepted, and then for them to switch it into something else - often at the guests' detriment.

The resort has provided in their confirmation emails that it is $370++ round trip per person - if they want to charge something else, be upfront about it, and then we can our own informed decisions to accept that or not. This is absolutely not about being cheap, it is about the (potential) guest not being baited in or mislead.

If you still think that is OK, what is stopping them from saying the standard rooms were loaded incorrectly, it is actually 140,000 per night - pay the 20,000 per night difference or we'll cancel your booking and return the points. Or that your cash rate is $2,588+ instead of $2,188++ and so on.
alanslegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 6:09 pm
  #441  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: BUF
Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Posts: 865
given that the resort is only 25km from the airport, anyone give any thought to arranging a transfer not through the hotel (if thats allowed)? places like this - https://www.atolltransfer.com/private-speed - come up, at $25 a mile, or $600RT. As a couple, that would be $300 each
sarahluv, Sinter and sambo150 like this.
freeloader is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 9:14 pm
  #442  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,908
Originally Posted by andyyac1 View Post
Cmon guys. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who want to be valued guests. Ive been a loyal repeater to the Conrad Maldives and others for a decade now. I know the Maldives inside out.

The yacht transfer is exactly that... a stunning multi million dollar yacht from what I can tell. Jeez... if you are .....ing so hard about this you should definitely stay at home. The Maldives is very special, very expensive part of the world.

If you start threatening and being super cheap...they will shut down the opportunity we have. I gladly pay the seaplane every time X3 people because it is an event, and the logistics are super expensive there.

Please please guys don't be cheap.... or if you're looking to save money...Hawaii is much closer and cheaper. Or try Ohio maybe?
If you know the Maldives inside out you would know that TMA is a monopoly (that type of transportation was basically a price-fixed monopoly even before the merger) screwing travellers for the seaplane ride, plain and simple. We accept it and have done for ages. With this yacht transfer the fact of the matter is that it's principle, not the amount. They are trying to double-screw us and that's just not acceptable for us 'average folks', those of us who are not multi-millionnaires, anyway. Who cares if the boat costs millions, it's a long term investment that's part and parcel of opening a place like this. Your post is so ridiculous in that you yourself are happy to be screwed over at every turn and expect everyone else to be as well. And you call us cheap for having principles! That's arrogant and sad at the same time.


Originally Posted by Traveler Dave View Post
Lets be fair. There is not one instance of a breach of contract here. Until they deny someone
True, but they intend to deny (everyone) and intend to breach. That's the problem. The fact that the breaches will commence on the first day someone checks out doesn't make what they are doing right.
What they should say is "We will honour what is in the confirmation email from the Hilton system as that is a formal contract (not what we continue to reiterate / try to enforce / demand in our emails back and forth)."
coolbeans202 and sambo150 like this.
MaldivesFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:01 pm
  #443  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 513
I don't care about the fact that they didn't print the transfer cost on the email. So, naturally, as I always do (and believe others do too), I check the details of the email and then look for further information from the online booking. That clearly says what I expect to get, a return transfer. If I were to subsequently get an email especially after I had just finished booking my entire family on a flight to get to Male (or worse, 3 days before my arrival upon reserving the boat) and then told by Hilton that my boat transfer was going to be double price {**due to their error, not mine**} then I would be quite livid in the least. I don't even need to have booked my flight yet to have lessened these 2 points.

This to me, is a matter of not only principle but brand name integrity. I agree with Maldivesfreak. Their mistakes are their problem not mine. And any lack of due diligence on Hilton corporate or WA 's part is strictly between those two and should not concern nor affect the patron - particularly with a property of this caliber.
sambo150 likes this.

Last edited by scwam; Feb 13, 19 at 11:53 pm
scwam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 19, 11:42 pm
  #444  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,841
where in the automated confirmation email does it say it is 370 rt?
yerffej201 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 1:32 am
  #445  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,908
How do you know it cost a billion dollars to open this resort? Care to provide a source for that figure? And the rooms are astronomically priced? Really? What are you basing that on?

There are plenty of properties who play dirty tricks on guests - whether it be openly or not openly - and try and rip them off, intentionally charge extra fees, try and get around rules, sometimes even to make it impossible to do redemption stays and blatantly lie to guests about availability (take the St. Regis Vommuli as an example of the latter two). That's not getting into the black from the red, that's called greed. By not opposing it, you approve of it and that's why practically everyone here is rallying against you. I don't plan on being a well-behaved, non-complaining, easy-to-cheat and manipulate guest that greedy corporations love. If everyone had your attitude to being blatantly ripped off or to breaching of a contract, they (the greedy corporations) would be doing even more to cheat, rip off and dupe their benefactors. It's only because people stand up for themselves and others that this kind of thing is kept to a level which is fairly uncommon among top properties. It's only because of massive complaints that prices sometimes do get lowered down to a reasonable level. Fact.

If John complains due to being overcharged, cheated, having a contract broken or whatever, it has absolutely no reflection on Jack, Jane and Jill who don't. Don't pretend there is some kind of negative reflection on everyone else and that there is blame to be attached to others. That might, on the surface, look as if it's useful for your argument but in reality it's falsely assigning blame on others and a poor way to make others feel guilty for something they should not feel guilty for.

If you are so oblivious to how much money hotels like this are making, then you need to do some research. So please don't come in here wailing "Oh, those poor 5-star hotels. They have to make a profit, you know. Boo hoo!" ROFLMAO! Hilton LLC made 1.3 billion in 2017 and the upper-echelon property owners are doing very well too, thank you - especially in the Maldives. They are not strapped for cash by any means nor is there the need to gouge guests for twice the price of what the going rate is for an arguably better service.

Now onto something more interesting. Are they going to have a seaplane service in the future? It looks as if they have a seaplane jetty. I wonder if TMA are going to start a service there in the future. I'll keep an eye out for this on TMA's website.

Second, I have received a reply back from the resort to say that the website will have menus, info on spa treatments, prices etc, mid-February. Since it's that time, I certainly hope they will add the content soon. I have asked for the following;

1. Season information with dates
2. Approximate / expected opening date
3a. List of all villa types, maximum occupancy and associated prices for all seasons
3b. Any details of opening promotions
4. A map of the resort (I have seen the promo video and notice that the villa categories / naming conventions are different from what has been posted here on FlyerTalk. I will add the map indicating villa numbers and categories to the wiki so everyone is clear about the layout and terminology - we need this for villa selection)
5. A full list of Gold and Diamond benefits
6a. Male airport lounge information (will there be a lounge and will it be using the Conrad Lounge temporarily at opening?) and prices for use on return journey if applicable
6b. Speedboat transfer times and prices Erm, well.....
7. Information on water sports, activities, excursions etc (if they have an Activity Planner in PDF format I will host it externally and link to it in the wiki)
8. Spa brochure with information and prices
9. A Positioning Brochure or similar in English with pictures of rooms, facilities and introduction of the resort in general
10. Restaurant menus and prices for breakfast (if not included) / HB / FB etc

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 15, 19 at 12:07 am Reason: remove personal commentary & responses
MaldivesFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 1:57 am
  #446  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 35
Map

Delete
sambo150 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 2:35 am
  #447  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,908
sambo150 Forget that. I thought I found one too but it wasn't.
sambo150 likes this.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 14, 19 at 8:57 am
MaldivesFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:30 am
  #448  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Posts: 1,531
The resort can offer X,Y,Z that's their discretion, just don't change it to A,B,C after a guest accepting X,Y,Z . There is absolutely no way / zero way you can defend that. The resort will love you because they can now say your room rate is 140,000 or whatever amount instead of 120,000 - and you will accept it because you tell yourself that you are getting an astronomically high priced room anyway. Why not email the resort today and tell them you will send them another 100,000 for free - because the room is still worth it.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 15, 19 at 12:09 am Reason: deletion of quoted post
alanslegal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:48 am
  #449  
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Homeless
Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Posts: 1,503
If I was the GM of WA I would offer the $370 RT to those that booked already and eat the "loss" and move on with my life. Not worth creating bad will before I am even open just to save a few dollars.

In terms of the cost of the yacht transfer after they fix the wording of confirmation e-mails, my opinion is that they are free to charge a very high price if they would like to. It's a free market and if customers come anyway, then good for them. If customers pick a different resort because of the price of the yacht transfer, they are not stupid, they will reduce the cost.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 15, 19 at 12:10 am Reason: remove reference to deleted post
escape4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 19, 4:53 am
  #450  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SAN
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
If I was the GM of WA I would offer the $370 RT to those that booked already and eat the "loss" and move on with my life. Not worth creating bad will before I am even open just to save a few dollars.

In terms of the cost of the yacht transfer after they fix the wording of confirmation e-mails, my opinion is that they are free to charge a very high price if they would like to. It's a free market and if customers come anyway, then good for them. If customers pick a different resort because of the price of the yacht transfer, they are not stupid, they will reduce the cost.
Well said!

TD
Carl Christensen likes this.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Feb 15, 19 at 12:10 am Reason: edited quoted post
Traveler Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread