Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!
Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

EXTRA CHARGES - BE AWARE FOLKS!
• A compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement of US$488++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 24 December 2019
• A compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement of US$800++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 31 December 2019
This lamb to the slaughter approach will force a couple to cough up an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) $3915.83, if you want to celebrate Xmas and New Years here

Expected Opening: July 01, 2019 (according to official website, see below for link)

There is currently not a lot of solid information on this resort, its prices, room types and amenities. More information will be added bit by bit as it becomes available

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A new Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
How: WA Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, southwest of Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport) and can be reached by speedboat. There may be an option of private yacht transfer (30 mins from Malι) but this is presumably to be announced at a later date

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands
• The resort has 10 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years
• Click here to visit the resort's website for more information

Prices - Accommodation:

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700

***** Upgrade Cost*****
Oct 2019
Reef Villa $200++
OWV $400++

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)
RV (Reef Villa, presumably Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, presumably also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)

Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)

Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: TBA
• Tel: +960-4000-300

Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)

Pictures (resort under construction):
• January, 2018 Link to post
• June, 2018 Link to post
• Approx October, 2018 Link to post
• January, 2019 Link to post
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 8, 19, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PPE with Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by englisha View Post
Although that's exactly what they do over the festive season in the conrad Maldives
Exactly - and it is actually even more if you count taxes and service charge, of which award stays are exempt! The all-in non-prepay cash rate with HIlton Honors discount for a base water villla at Conrad Maldives during my upcoming festival season stay is $3,600 / night all in or about $75k for the entire 21 night stay. I booked 20 nights on points (total 1,520,000 points) and one with a free night award. I ended up buying some points at 0.5 cents/point during the latest promo and ended up utilizing them for about 10x price at about 5 cents/point - one of the few times buying Hilton points proved to be a good value. It might be silly, but I’ll definitely take it
escape4 likes this.

Last edited by brandonpkt; Feb 8, 19 at 9:01 pm
Old Feb 8, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT
unpopular opinion here, but ive seen quite a view videos & pictures of the new Waldorf and i simply cant see why anyone would pay upwards of $1,800 to stay in an island that is overbuilt, ugly and essentially everything that the maldives shouldn't be. ive been to the maldives 5 times (visiting 5 different islands) and ive yet to see a resort island that looks as unnatural as the Waldorf (except for maybe Centara Ras Fushi & the Sheraton!). its very clear by the unique shape off the island that a lot of the sand has been artificially pumped, and the island does not appear to have any sort of big blue lagoon that is typical of maldivian resort islands. the water villas are built in extremely long lines with a very narrow lagoon infront of them which in my opinion will make swimming not so enjoyable as the reef drop-off is so close by.

yeah the rooms are really nice but you can get nice rooms in dubai or other locations.. what makes the maldives a special destination is the sheer natural beauty of the island and its surroundings, and the Waldorf appears to lack all of that. while the conrad (or, even better, non US hotels such as Anantara Kihavah, Amilla Fushi, Vakkaru etc ), are seemingly less luxurious, they provide for a much more quintessential maldivian holiday.

i mean look at this aerial image. yes its still under construction but i cant see it getting any better...
Old Feb 9, 19, 3:50 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
And I would not expect the standard award price to be 95000 points..
95,000 is the max standard award price. If it is more than that it would be considered a premium award.
Old Feb 9, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Online booking is open. I could not find standard rewards offered at any time...all premium rewards. Rates in Sept appear to start at $1800...jumping to $2200 in October. Good luck to them - not clear to me how they'll fill rooms at those rates while the resort recovers from development, landscaping fills out and the staff figure out what the hell they're doing.
sambo150 likes this.

Last edited by ocdb8r; Feb 9, 19 at 5:37 pm
Old Feb 9, 19, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by ocdb8r View Post
Good luck to them - not clear to me how they'll fill rooms at those rates while the resort recovers from development, landscaping fills out and the staff figure out what the hell they're doing.
LOL. I have to say I agree with you although mainland China is a huge market and they will be seriously pushing the resort there, especially as the last week of June and all of July and August are school holidays there and during those 2 months up to 2/3 of the tourists in the Maldives are mainlanders. I live there so I'm going to start asking my travel agent friends if they've heard of this new resort yet and what kind of packages they are doing. There will no doubt be some good deals but whether they'll offer them to the ROTW is another story. A couple years back there were some deals for the Conrad that were only available to Chinese customers in mainland China (required Chinese pax w/Chinese passports, not just booked through those agents) so let's see how it plays out on that front.
sambo150 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
unpopular opinion here, but ive seen quite a view videos & pictures of the new Waldorf

i mean look at this aerial image. yes its still under construction but i cant see it getting any better...
In all fairness I think you should have used this pic instead

Originally Posted by rvlcr View Post
and i simply cant see why anyone would pay upwards of $1,800 to stay in an island that is overbuilt, ugly and essentially everything that the maldives shouldn't be.

ive been to the maldives 5 times (visiting 5 different islands) and ive yet to see a resort island that looks as unnatural as the Waldorf (except for maybe Centara Ras Fushi & the Sheraton!). its very clear by the unique shape off the island that a lot of the sand has been artificially pumped, and the island does not appear to have any sort of big blue lagoon that is typical of maldivian resort islands. the water villas are built in extremely long lines with a very narrow lagoon infront of them which in my opinion will make swimming not so enjoyable as the reef drop-off is so close by.

yeah the rooms are really nice but you can get nice rooms in dubai or other locations.. what makes the maldives a special destination is the sheer natural beauty of the island and its surroundings, and the Waldorf appears to lack all of that.
Well, maybe the SAii Lagoon Curio comes into the essentially everything that the maldives shouldn't be category.

I agree with the fact that there is a serious lack of natural flora. The fact that a lot of the resort's area is mostly reclaimed land certainly makes it feel artificial. Conrad has tons of what this resort doesn't. I'll go once just because it's new and it will be interesting, however I don't expect it to hold my interest for multiple visits like Rangali does.

Regarding the lagoon, I have to disagree with you there. Where the main islands are situated there is a perfectly normal lagoon. The six boats in the picture above are in the lagoon and it's plain to see that the water isn't that deep even right in the middle. The water in the middle of Rangali's lagoon between the 2 islands is deeper than that.
As for swimming and beaches, you have to take into consideration the size of the resort and then calculate roughly how wide the beaches are and how far out the depth increases. For example, the middle section of the resort with the beach villas (the strip where the Welcome Centre is located) looks to have at least 10m of beachfront and then 30 or 40m of reasonably shallow water before it gets to any dropoff / deep water. The BVs on the other side of the resort are a different story, however.
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:06 pm

Added a Pictures (resort under construction) section to the wiki to show, in chronological order, the resort and how it has evolved.
Also changed opening date to reflect latest change.

And here's a nice pic from of one of the news articles. Seems real enough and will no doubt have some of us salivating until we get there, LOL

Old Feb 10, 19, 12:16 pm

The more recent photo does make it look congested with not much land mass. Hard for me to imagine WA lagoon being as spectacular as CR's - especially from Vilu .... very torn between trying WA or staying with the no shoes, sand floors, remote felling at CR .. oh, decisions, decisions .....
pineapple_09 and sambo150 like this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 12:26 pm

No harm in trying both! I think the colour(s) of the water isn't going to be a problem.....it's what's on the other side(s) that's going to spoil the view.
And another thing. Why the heck have they not made a fully overwater restaurant. Baffles me, considering Rangali has 2.
llfoster likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Hilton Diamond
Standard reward availability is posted now....and its 120,000 points a night. So much for the 95,000 cap
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Hilton Diamond
Just booked 26-31 December for 480,00 points, reservation went through smoothly!
jphripjah likes this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:43 am

Under 500K for 5 nights is not too bad, considering. And thanks for the heads up!

Hmm...just called the telephone number and it's switched off or out of coverage area. Must be a mobile. Surprising for 1:46 in the afternoon. Having a nap maybe?
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
120k Hilton pts for WA is similar to 60k Marriott pts for St.Regis. So overall I think I am not shocked or outraged at 120k and the cap being lifted. I have 6 nights booked at WA following 6 nights at St.Regis in order to compare!
Old Feb 11, 19, 3:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
How does it make sense that it can go to 120K / night?
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
How does it make sense that it can go to 120K / night?

I guess it doesn't have to make sense. It's what they charge. Better than no standard award availability.

I just canceled my Rangali Island reservation and booked 5 nights here for 480,000 in early July. Plus using a free night certificate for the sixth night. And possibly another free night certificate for a seventh night if it arrives next month and there is still availability.

As a heads up, when I called to apply the free night certificate to the room the phone agent initially thought it was an invalid night to use the certificate, premium room only, because she saw 120,000 and had never seen that for a standard award before.
alanslegal likes this.

Last edited by jphripjah; Feb 11, 19 at 4:20 am

Search this Thread