Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 21, 19, 12:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Wiki Link
Welcome to the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi Wiki!
Notes: All prices are in US Dollars and are exclusive of taxes unless specified (by ++)

EXTRA CHARGES - BE AWARE FOLKS!
• A compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement of US$488++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 24 December 2019
• A compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement of US$800++ per adult and US$150++ per child applies for stays on 31 December 2019
This lamb to the slaughter approach will force a couple to cough up an extra $3176.63, or a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) $3915.83, if you want to celebrate Xmas and New Years here

The following section is a P-take and warning all rolled into one. Be prepared to be shocked and fleeced, all at the same time.....

The Rip-off Section
1. Yacht transfer: At a mere 22.8km from Male, Ithaafushi originally started charging $378++ per person return but then (and even before the resort opened) went up to $350++ per person PER WAY. That's practically double the price; $1724.80 all up for 2 passengers and almost as much as a single night's stay in a base villa!
2. Should you be unlucky enough to have to pay for breakfast, watch out for the $35 you'll have to fork out for a single egg!
3. A 106,000 dollar bottle of wine: Click here for a picture of the wine menu. Keep reading the next couple of pages to see reactions
4. $135 shisha! Check out this post
5. $64 for a bowl of noodles. Click here for the menu
6. Nearly a thousand dollars for a couple to sit in a bamboo cage on a pole at the restaurant Terra with nothing to look at after sunset
7. Compulsory Christmas Eve Gala Dinner supplement (see above)
8. Compulsory New Year's Eve Dinner supplement (see above)
...and a few corporate-greed-bashing posts for good measure and entertainment value: Click here and here

Tax Information
• 10% Service Charge (levied by resort. For info on this and how it's distributed, see this post)
• 12% T-GST (Tourist Goods & Services Tax, levied by the Maldivian government, current as of Oct 1, 2014)
• Total tax is 23.2%, not 22% as one would think. Example; $100 + 10% = $110, then add 12% on to $110 for a total of $123.20
• • Tip: To work out prices before the 23.2% taxes, multiply by 0.81169, i.e; 123.2 * 0.81169 = 100
• A new Green Tax of $6pp/pn (levied by the Maldivian government) has been introduced starting from 1 November 2015. Points/Redemption bookings are exempt from the tax for up to two guests per room
Note: The $8pp/pn Bed Tax (previously levied by the Maldivian government) was abolished on Dec 1, 2014

Transfers To and From Resort
• How: WA Ithaafushi is located in South Malι Atoll, southwest of Velana International Airport [MLE] (also known as Malι International Airport, previously known as Ibrahim Nasir International Airport)
• Private yacht transfer (50 mins from Malι): $350++ per person per way ($1724.80 return inclusive of taxes for 2 passengers). If the yacht is not available, a speedboat will be provided by the resort. If this happens, you may be refunded the yacht transfer fee. See this post for more info
Note: Original quoted price was $378++ per person return but they thought that was too cheap and basically doubled it. Also note that the quoted transfer time on their website is 30 minutes but actual travel time is 50 minutes
See this post for a detailed review of the yacht transfer (Courtesy of jphripjah)

Alternative transfers to the WA and alternative destinations / resorts
• See this post for a success story in booking a very reasonably-priced transfer

• Transfer to / from Conrad Maldives Rangali Island: A private seaplane transfer from the Waldorf to the Conrad, taking approximately 25 minutes, is approximately USD 8,125++

Resort Information / F&B / Spa / Activities
• WA Ithaafushi is made up of three islands (95% man-made)
• The resort has 11 restaurants / bars
• There are 2 standalone OWVs (Over Water Villas) and 121 villas in total
• Click here to visit the resort's website for more information
• The kids club (one of the biggest in the Maldives) is for children between 4 to 11 years. Click here for detailed information and here for the schedule. Click here for a comprehensive set of pictures (Courtesy of Traveler Dave)
• Click here to visit the resort's listing on TripAdvisor
• Tennis courts: See this post
• For a map of the resort click here * Note that this map is orientated north and so the SUNRISE and SUNSET written on it are incorrect. Also note that you receive a black and white map when you arrive and this is not as good nor as detailed as the one posted here. For comments on the quality of the map, click here

Resort Information - Menus
• Some restaurant menus are available in PDF format on the resort's website. Click here to visit the relevant page on their website
• For menu pictures: Part 1 and Part 2
• Dining Programme / restaurant opening times: See this post and the post below it
• IVD (In Villa Dining) menus: See this post
• Yasmeen - Set Menu B

Miscellaneous Information
• Villa pool depth: See this post
• Best snorkelling spots: See this post and this post
• Complimentary water (in villa): See this post
• Walking / getting around the resort: See this post
• Sunset / Sunrise at the resort: See this post and this post
• Power outlet configuration: See this post

Elite member benefits:

Hilton Honors GOLD MEMBERS:
  • Full breakfast at Tasting Table
  • In-villa VIP welcome Champagne, sweet and savoury amenities
  • Complimentary daily afternoon delights (see here for pic) with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley
  • 50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30
Hilton Honors DIAMOND MEMBERS:
  • Full breakfast at Tasting Table
  • In-villa VIP welcome Champagne, sweet and savoury amenities
  • [Diamond only benefit] With a selected 60-minute massage, enjoy a complimentary additional 30-minute at Waldorf Astoria Spa
  • Complimentary daily afternoon delights (see here for pic) with a fine selection of beverages crafted by mixologist and sommelier from 16:00 to 17:00 at Peacock Alley
  • 50% special offer on selected beverages at Nava Beach Club from 22:00 to 23:30

Accommodation:
At opening the resort defined Beach Villas as the lowest category of accommodation (only this category bookable with points). The next highest category was Reef Villas then above that, the Overwater Villas. Note: villas on the Private Island do not count.
This will change in 2020. Quote from the resort "Please be informed that for next year we have changed our villa category. Kindly note that the Reef Villa will be our base category, next will be the Overwater Villa and then the Beach Villa. Basically the Beach Villa will be a higher category compared to reef Villa and Overwater Villa."
See this post for the conversation related to this. Pricing has changed as well to reflect this. See below for 2020 pricing.
Note that as of August 2019 the BV is still available to book on points in 2020. This may change, however.

Prices - Accommodation (2020):

***** March 2020 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2630
• Overwater Villa USD 2430
• Reef Villa USD 1930

Prices - Accommodation (2019):

***** July 2019 Figures *****
• 2 Bedroom Beach Villa with Pool USD 3850
• 2 Bedroom Over Water Villa with Pool USD 4350

***** October 2019 Figures *****
• Beach Villa USD 2100
• Grand Beach Villa USD 2300
• Reef Villa USD 2300
• Grand Reef Villa USD 2500
• Overwater Villa USD 2500
• Grand Overwater Villa USD 2700

***** Upgrade Costs - Jul 2019 *****
• Two Bedroom Beach - US 2000
• Two Bedroom Grand Beach - US 2200
• Two Bedroom Reef - US 2200
• Two Bedroom Overwater - US 2400

***** Upgrade Costs - Oct 2019 *****
• Reef Villa USD 200
• OWV USD 400

Villa Types and Abbreviations used in this thread (listed in order from most basic to most luxurious)

-- BVs (Beach Villas) --

BV (Beach Villa)
GBV (Grand Beach Villa)

-- RVs (Reef Villas) --

RV (Reef Villa, the Garden Villa category shown in the pre-opening promo video)
GRV (Grand Reef Villa, also a type of Garden Villa shown in the pre-opening promo video)

-- OWVs (Over Water Villas) --

OV (Overwater Villa)
GOV (Grand Overwater Villa)
SMR (Stella Maris Residences)

Villa Selection
• See this post and this post
• Privacy - Beach Villas: For pics, info and opinions, see the following posts; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Travel & Safety Information
• The Maldives is listed in Category 1 (the highest category) on the WHO Zika virus classification table. However, don't let that scare you because as of April 13, 2017 there has only been one confirmed case of Zika in the Maldives
• Click here for information related to the single Zika infection in the Maldives (reported in January of that year)

Contact
• General Enquiries: [email protected]
• Reservations Department: [email protected]
• Tel: +960-4000-300

Weather:
Note: since the resort is close to Mahibadhoo (where there is a weather station), I have added this info from the Conrad Maldives thread as both resorts are close by and the weather will be the same as far as forecasts go (MaldivesFreak)
• General info on weather in the Maldives: Link 1 Link 2 (Maldivian government website)
• Recommended Android weather app: eWeather HD. See this post for detailed info on the app, settings, tips and general weather info (Courtesy of MaldivesFreak)
• Want to get an idea about the weather in the month of August? Click here to read a post from a FT member that spends 2 weeks at Rangali during this month (Courtesy of Splotly)

Pictures - Resort under construction:
• January, 2018 :Link to post:
• June, 2018 :Link to post:
• Approx October, 2018 :Link to post:
• January, 2019 :Link to post:

Pictures & Videos - Post-opening:
• General pics of the resort (July, 2019) :Link to post: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• The Stella Maris exclusive! :Link to post with links to videos: (Courtesy of alanslegal)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #1 :Link to post: (Courtesy of alanslegal)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #2 :Link to post: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• Breakfast buffet at Tasting Table - Post #3 :Link to post: (Courtesy of Traveler Dave)
• IVD(in villa dining) :Link to post: (Courtesy of Stivelio)
• Terra (views from all 7 'cages') :Link to post: (Courtesy of jphripjah)
• Terra and Family Pool :Link to post with link to video: (Courtesy of alanslegal)
• Reef Villa with sunset view :Link to post: (Courtesy of Stivelio)
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 10, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
Talking

Originally Posted by ARLT View Post
in case anyone is wondering how to transfer between the conrad and waldorf:

Further to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that we can arrange a private seaplane transfer from Waldorf to Conrad. The travel time will take for approximately 25 minutes, the rate of the private seaplane transfer is approximately USD 8,125 per way subject to 10% service charge and 12% goods and taxes.
thanks for sharing this!! I think this time i will stick with WA only ...
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
Wow, didn't realize the dropoff would be so significant. Is it typical for the dropoff to be so close to the shoreline?

Clearly I need to go rewatch Finding Nemo
Really just depends on how the resort is built and the size of the island it is built on. For example (from looking at google satellite images only) the drop off at the Conrad is much further away for some portions of the rooms vs closer for others but nowhere near as extreme as the WA. I imagine you would need to be a pretty good swimmer to enjoy snorkeling at the WA, the currents should be stronger around the drop off (please correct me if I am wrong). Life vest for me!
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by mikewhyatt View Post
Really just depends on how the resort is built and the size of the island it is built on. For example (from looking at google satellite images only) the drop off at the Conrad is much further away for some portions of the rooms vs closer for others but nowhere near as extreme as the WA. I imagine you would need to be a pretty good swimmer to enjoy snorkeling at the WA, the currents should be stronger around the drop off (please correct me if I am wrong). Life vest for me!
Life vest for everyone.

Even for me who is a pretty strong open water swimmer, I'll still have a ankle strap with a 30m line and a lifejacket floating on the end. That way I can free dive down to have a look around; but should the worst happen and I stray into a rip, I've got a life jacket to reel in and put on.
Old Jul 10, 19, 7:57 am

anyone know the fishing rules for the area? planning on doing the sunset fishing trip anyways but wanted to know if i can walk out from the room and fish that drop off
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Just a couple of points;

Someone asked about "shisha costs", it is $110++ and located at at the Nava Bar however it can be brought to your villa etc.

Happy hour 10pm-11:30pm at Nava Bar is only a Gold/Diamond benefit - so non Gold/Diamond guest pay full price. It is 50% drinks - selected cocktails (4 choices), selected beers, selected spirits, soft drinks etc. Should be enough to keep most happy.

And back to my crappy map edits;

I asked the ocean sports where the guided snorkelling day/night tour is and it is the blue line marked below, along the drop point.

Someone asked about Beach Villa preference, I have suggested a couple of preferences prior to this; but after a 6 days here and riding my bicycle around to/from villa and pools / restaurants etc I think I will ask for a BV south facing in the 600's first. Why? the greenery around 600s appear much more denser than than the 200's (which I was I originally liked). The south facing 600's have panoramic outlook and nothing in the distance. During the day you get the WA yacht come and go from time to time but you don't get any other boat traffic. At night, you look into the distance and there is very little lights from other islands / structures (that can be seen from some north / north east facing villas. If I can't get that, I would ask for a north east / lagoon facing BV in the 200s. I paddled into the lagoon earlier and sat there in front of the 200s and thought I would be OK with this view; there weren't many many people enjoying water sports but the location is close to the family pool (which has been mostly empty and highly enjoyable) and the gym/tennis courts. Plus I would think you would get a decent sunrise or sun visibility.

Now for Reef Villas, I think the 300s north facing would be my preference, the greenery is more dense than 400/500 islands, i felt it was more private (ie could not or harder to see some decks riding by) there are some decks on the 400s and 500s that are visible riding my bicycle past. plus it is more true north, and since i mentioned that there are some distant islands to the north/north east, the 300s I would think would be less impacted.

Anyway that's my final impression on BV/RV room types and why.

Old Jul 10, 19, 8:16 am

I'm out! Going to cancel my points reservation for next month Aug 10th to Aug 17th. If anyone is looking for those dates next month then hopefully the 2-bed beach villa should go back into the bucket once I cancel. I've got until around July 23rd to cancel. I'm going to cancel because I've got an Agoda booking about to charge my card in 3 hours for Faarufushi. Plus, I'm also looking at a good deal on Vakkaru and hopefully can make a final decision within 3 hours from now. After 6 months of nightly research on our first trip to the Maldives, my wife decided she didn't like the look of W.A. It just hasn't matured. I kind of regret it because I've never stayed at W.A. and now have diamond status. However, we've reviewed tons of videos via Youtube, Instagram, personal photos of people through Instagram, the chefs' creations, etc., and everything leaves us to believe we want a more Maldivian experience (if you can even get that from a 5* hotel). I'm not sure if I should book Vakkaru or just keep Faarufushi. In either case I'm down to the wire. Anyone who wants to take up the dates, pm me and we can plan a cancelation time. Although I'm sure it will take 24 hours to update in their system.
MaldivesFreak and mikewhyatt like this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Just cancelled a 10 night award stay (King Beach Villa) from 21-31. Dec. 2019.came back to inventory immediately and is still available.
If someone is interested.
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:38 am

Oh my.... $110++ for one session of Shisha? For those of you who don't know in Egypt one "session"/bowl pack is about $1.50 USD, in the states it's usually $20USD, at upscale clubs the max I have ever paid is $60USD. The retail cost of a hookah is $250-300 for a TOP of the line hookah (which can be reused hundreds of times), the cost of the shisha tobacco is $1-2 per bowl pack and the charcoal cost is $1-2. I could stomach the wine prices, but holy crap for someone who enjoys smoking hookah daily, I will never be visiting the WA. They have not created some out of the world resort here, there are many comparable properties in the Maldives that have better offerings. The end for me.
MaldivesFreak likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
Just a couple of points;

Someone asked about "shisha costs", it is $110++ and located at at the Nava Bar however it can be brought to your villa etc.

Happy hour 10pm-11:30pm at Nava Bar is only a Gold/Diamond benefit - so non Gold/Diamond guest pay full price. It is 50% drinks - selected cocktails (4 choices), selected beers, selected spirits, soft drinks etc. Should be enough to keep most happy.

And back to my crappy map edits;

I asked the ocean sports where the guided snorkelling day/night tour is and it is the blue line marked below, along the drop point.

Someone asked about Beach Villa preference, I have suggested a couple of preferences prior to this; but after a 6 days here and riding my bicycle around to/from villa and pools / restaurants etc I think I will ask for a BV south facing in the 600's first. Why? the greenery around 600s appear much more denser than than the 200's (which I was I originally liked). The south facing 600's have panoramic outlook and nothing in the distance. During the day you get the WA yacht come and go from time to time but you don't get any other boat traffic. At night, you look into the distance and there is very little lights from other islands / structures (that can be seen from some north / north east facing villas. If I can't get that, I would ask for a north east / lagoon facing BV in the 200s. I paddled into the lagoon earlier and sat there in front of the 200s and thought I would be OK with this view; there weren't many many people enjoying water sports but the location is close to the family pool (which has been mostly empty and highly enjoyable) and the gym/tennis courts. Plus I would think you would get a decent sunrise or sun visibility.

Now for Reef Villas, I think the 300s north facing would be my preference, the greenery is more dense than 400/500 islands, i felt it was more private (ie could not or harder to see some decks riding by) there are some decks on the 400s and 500s that are visible riding my bicycle past. plus it is more true north, and since i mentioned that there are some distant islands to the north/north east, the 300s I would think would be less impacted.

Anyway that's my final impression on BV/RV room types and why.

I’ll give my own impression on villa selection in a few days. I will point out though that there are no 400s villas. In fact no villa numbers have a 4 in them at all. Hence 202, 206, 208. Chinese superstition I guess.
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by scwam View Post
I'm out! Going to cancel my points reservation for next month Aug 10th to Aug 17th. If anyone is looking for those dates next month then hopefully the 2-bed beach villa should go back into the bucket once I cancel. I've got until around July 23rd to cancel. I'm going to cancel because I've got an Agoda booking about to charge my card in 3 hours for Faarufushi. Plus, I'm also looking at a good deal on Vakkaru and hopefully can make a final decision within 3 hours from now. After 6 months of nightly research on our first trip to the Maldives, my wife decided she didn't like the look of W.A. It just hasn't matured. I kind of regret it because I've never stayed at W.A. and now have diamond status. However, we've reviewed tons of videos via Youtube, Instagram, personal photos of people through Instagram, the chefs' creations, etc., and everything leaves us to believe we want a more Maldivian experience (if you can even get that from a 5* hotel). I'm not sure if I should book Vakkaru or just keep Faarufushi. In either case I'm down to the wire. Anyone who wants to take up the dates, pm me and we can plan a cancelation time. Although I'm sure it will take 24 hours to update in their system.
I think that's a good call. I plan on waiting at least 6 months before visiting. I think the vegetation will be much better after a year.
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:36 am

wow, vakkaru appears to be within UNESCO biosphere. should hopefully see some nice marine creatures

Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
Wow, didn't realize the dropoff would be so significant. Is it typical for the dropoff to be so close to the shoreline?

Clearly I need to go rewatch Finding Nemo
no - for most resorts in Maldives, anyway. this is actually what the Maldivian atolls are famous for.
which is why it is a major geographical disadvantage for WA.
a recent TripAdvisor reviewer made this point as well.

if you have been to conrad (presumably?), you can actually walk very far out easily. even more so when it's low tide.

generally, it's quite easy to tell where the dropoff is from a drone pic, that would be the area where the water suddenly turns from turquoise to dark blue.
WA has lots of dark blue water all around it on its map.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
Life vest for everyone.

Even for me who is a pretty strong open water swimmer, I'll still have a ankle strap with a 30m line and a lifejacket floating on the end. That way I can free dive down to have a look around; but should the worst happen and I stray into a rip, I've got a life jacket to reel in and put on.
excellent idea. will keep that in mind for future.
yeah, i always get a little nervous myself when going too far out, and near the drop off, and currents start being strong. even in life jacket.
which is why they always advise to buddy up when going snorkeling.

another advice i have for snorkeling would be the mask you use.
if you use the full face mask, make sure you buy a legit one - none of those china-made imitation crap.
people have suffocated and die from it before.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
another advice i have for snorkeling would be the mask you use.
if you use the full face mask, make sure you buy a legit one - none of those china-made imitation crap.
people have suffocated and die from it before.
the problem is the design itself it does not allow you to circulate the air properly so excess CO2 gets built up in the mask. Same reason why traditional snorkels cannot be greater than 14" long.

stick to the traditional mask and snorkel. You'll be able to equalize a lot easier as well too
pineapple_09 and Cynicor like this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by htran88 View Post
the problem is the design itself it does not allow you to circulate the air properly so excess CO2 gets built up in the mask. Same reason why traditional snorkels cannot be greater than 14" long.

stick to the traditional mask and snorkel. You'll be able to equalize a lot easier as well too
yup. and you cannot free dive with it.

but some people cannot get used to biting mouthpiece and breathe without panicking.
so the ffm offers an alternative to them.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
yup. and you cannot free dive with it.

but some people cannot get used to biting mouthpiece and breathe without panicking.
so the ffm offers an alternative to them.
Once I used the FFM I will NEVER go back to a traditional snorkel. Buy the FFM and try it out in a controlled environment at home. Your pool. A friends pool. I did purchase several from Amazon and found the one I liked best. Returned the others. Having the “correct” one does help.

Not sure how deep people want to free dive, but have gone 20+ feet with no issues. I SCUBA so no need to dive deeper when snorkeling for me.

If you look in the WA activities list I posted a week or so ago it mentions snorkeling with something I had never heard of. So I Googled it. Looked interesting so I bought one. Tried it in the pool at home and loved it. Going to try it out in the ocean tomorrow.

https://www.powerbreatherusa.com/

TD

Old Jul 10, 19, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm out! Going to cancel my points reservation for next month Aug 10th to Aug 17th.
For what it’s worth, I’m hearing that the resort expects to be busy from last week of July all through August and especially mid-August from around the 8th -15th due to the Muslim Eid holiday.

scwam likes this.

Search this Thread