Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

When Hilton club lounge staff are over-attentive...

Old Jan 22, 18, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass

Is it just me or would others find it a little annoying to have someone try to take an empty plate away when the last fork-full of food is still on its way to your mouth? I asked the young lady to come back a little bit later when I had finished eating and she seemed quite surprised...
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:04 pm

I would thank her for trying to make your lounge experience pleasant, recognizing she is likely not highly-paid. A little recognition of effort goes a long way.
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
I would thank her for trying to make your lounge experience pleasant, recognizing she is likely not highly-paid. A little recognition of effort goes a long way.
Agree. Is this really a problem?? Really?
Fleck and Snickerdoodle like this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I have had it happen in restaurants, too. I write it off as a first world problem. The alternative, sitting with empty plates that don't get removed, is worse IMO.
Snickerdoodle likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have had a few of these ( usually in busy lounges) but i just politely say I am still eating ( taking a break) and he or she apologies and I thank them.

Not a problem

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 22, 18, 3:35 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother View Post
Is it just me or would others find it a little annoying to have someone try to take an empty plate away when the last fork-full of food is still on its way to your mouth? I asked the young lady to come back a little bit later when I had finished eating and she seemed quite surprised...
This happens to me quite often and yes it is quite annoying. It's not just empty plates that they take away - sometimes I haven't even finished eating but only a small morsel remains on the plate so they assume that I'm done. Also, I am quite happy to reuse my plate and cutlery, but I am forced to get a new set if I don't want to get more food immediately after finishing...

Once I was making a gin and tonic and I thought I would pour the gin from the bottle and bring it back to my table first. Then I went back to get the cans of tonic, but they had taken away the glass in the meantime.

I don't say anything and if they want to double their washing-up workload and throw away food that's their problem, but I have learned to hide my plate behind my laptop if I don't want it to be taken away.

I was at a banquet at a Four Seasons once and they were so over-attentive that if I even let go of the spoon or fork, the bowl or plate was taken away regardless of whether anything had actually been eaten yet.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:27 pm

At one US Hilton, there was (is?) a lounge attendant that made certain that you were not leaving without tipping. Not really the kind of attention I want, once or twice a day, every day.
Old Jan 22, 18, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Where did you actually find a US lounge these days
happychic and sallyerd like this.
Old Jan 22, 18, 11:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
At one US Hilton, there was (is?) a lounge attendant that made certain that you were not leaving without tipping. Not really the kind of attention I want, once or twice a day, every day.
That would open a whole different can of worms....
Lucky I never came across that in my travels. I decide when to tip...

Globalist
Old Jan 23, 18, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
This happens to me quite often and yes it is quite annoying. It's not just empty plates that they take away - sometimes I haven't even finished eating but only a small morsel remains on the plate so they assume that I'm done. Also, I am quite happy to reuse my plate and cutlery, but I am forced to get a new set if I don't want to get more food immediately after finishing...

Once I was making a gin and tonic and I thought I would pour the gin from the bottle and bring it back to my table first. Then I went back to get the cans of tonic, but they had taken away the glass in the meantime.

I don't say anything and if they want to double their washing-up workload and throw away food that's their problem, but I have learned to hide my plate behind my laptop if I don't want it to be taken away.

I was at a banquet at a Four Seasons once and they were so over-attentive that if I even let go of the spoon or fork, the bowl or plate was taken away regardless of whether anything had actually been eaten yet.
well technically when eating at buffets you are supposed to use a clean plate each trip....
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD, LF HH Diamond, IHG Plat/AMB
I find this more common in China. A smile and a quick word normally suffices, but some parts of China where English is poor, I just let them do what they want.
Old Jan 23, 18, 3:16 am

Lounge staff are damned if they do and damned if they dont.......
Fleck and BlueZebra like this.
Old Jan 23, 18, 6:05 am

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by neo_781 View Post
well technically when eating at buffets you are supposed to use a clean plate each trip....
Absolutely true...making an attentive staff member valuable as a reminder, and enforcer.
Old Jan 23, 18, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why this is a Hilton or even a lounge or a hotel problem. Not even sure it is a problem.

Or this ought to be merged with the people who rant that their dirty plate sat for 2 minutes and was not removed.

If you don't want a service just politely say something. It should not be a massive problem.
Old Jan 23, 18, 6:43 am

Is it just me or would others find it a little annoying to have someone passive-aggressively spam the Flyertalk boards because they're unwilling to express a simple service request to another human being in person?
BearX220, Sisosig, Fleck and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: