Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Reagan National Airport {US-VA}

Hilton Garden Inn Reagan National Airport {US-VA}

Reply

Old Jan 19, 18, 9:05 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/FAY)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
Posts: 28,739
Arrow Hilton Garden Inn Reagan National Airport {US-VA}

Location: The hotel is located on Jefferson Davis Blvd. right next to the Hampton Inn (which it in fact shares a shuttle with). Two blocks to to the north is the Crystal City Metro. Two blocks to the east are a number of chain restaurants and a block away is a 7-11 and a seedy looking strip club.

Hotel: The hotel is the former Radisson DCA which makes it an atypical HGI design. The lobby is much larger and has an open concept snack shop next to the check in desk. There's a full bar in the large restaurant which also serves dinner from 5-10. There's a business center just off the lobby. For a newer hotel the elevators are oddly small. Do note that you have to call for the shuttle and I hope you aren't stuck on hold for ten minutes like I was. The shuttle with notice will also drive you within a mile of the hotel.

Check In: The staff here was not the friendliest but I got checked in quickly.

Room: Perfectly comfortable with a really nice bathroom and a step up from the standard HGI. Outlets near the bed, large TV and decent soundproofing so I was happy.







Breakfast/Other: Breakfast is from 6-10:30 Monday through Friday and 7-11:30 on Saturday and Sunday. The breakfast spread was standard HGI Fare: Omelet bar and cooked to order stuff plus bacon, sausage, potatoes and eggs. Service there was good. Oddly there are no breakfast coupons given, but my charges were properly deducted at check out. However, my Premium Wifi charges were not.

My rate was $122 and this is definitely a good option for DCA minor service issues nonwithstanding.
CMK10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 18, 8:13 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 19,699
Yay walk-in shower!
DenverBrian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:26 pm
  #3  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 113
Just a warning to add, because if DCA's schedule, the shuttle stops running before midnight. Be prepared to take a taxi, lyft, or uber if your flight is delayed or if you return a car late.
mathprof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 2:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 65
Had a recent stay here and was pretty disappointed.
  • Front desk thanked me for being a Hilton Honors member but no mention of diamond status and no upgrade.
  • The room was pretty basic and amenities were limited (ie No toothbrush, no shaving kit, etc).
  • Location was good for the cost. The metro station is a short walk away and the main DC attractions are only 3 or so stops away.
  • Breakfast was good. Standard buffet with eggs cooked to order, waffle maker, cereal, pastries and fruit. There wasn't really a clear process for the free breakfast though. We would usually tell the waitress who seated us but still ended up getting the full bill at the end of our meal and would have to have it corrected.
  • We ordered room service one night and it was pretty bad. The steak I ordered rare was cooked to medium-well and the pasta primavera had a hair in it. Room service has 20% gratuity added automatically plus a $2.50 delivery charge.
  • I left out the iron and ironing board on my first morning there because we had to rush out for a tour. Housekeeping didn't touch it and left it out our entire stay.
  • I received my check-out email at 12:39am the day of checkout and it showed a billing of $600+ despite using points for the entire stay. Had to go to the front desk to have it fixed.
I'm not a very picky guest but this was a really disappointing Hilton stay. I've been on a streak of good stays and this was a stark contrast. DC area has tons of Hilton options and this was definitely one of the cheaper ones but I will look elsewhere next time. There's a Hampton Inn right next door that looks comparable and it's slightly closer to the metro and probably a little cheaper.
Doctorslices is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 8:12 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Gold, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Posts: 81
What upgrade? This is a HGI...

Don't know why people expect an upgrade when there is really nothing to upgrade to! Seriously, as a gold if I get an "upgrade" (which is only really offered at Hilton or Conrad) I am happy but it doesn't matter. It is a HGI---which offers Gold and Plat free breakfast. That is all you're going to get. These aren't luxury properties, just Hampton Inns +. And as HH's says, any upgrades are "space available". Any "amenities" are available from the front desk via a call or visit. They assumed you would not want the ironing board messed with. If I use it I always put it back...are they supposed to read your mind?...shees just put it back. Room service at a HGI? Serioulsy there are tons of restaurants within 10 minutes walk! Go see the neighborhood.

I stayed at this property when it first opened as a HGI about 18 mos ago. Nice but was noisy due to street in front (lots of noisy motorcycles and autos on this street) and garbage bins in back, which is the same problem at the Hampton next door. Close to Metro and inexpensive (at the time about 1/2 the cost of any other Arlington Hilton brand hotels) which was what I needed!

Last edited by wolfie52; Sep 11, 18 at 8:28 pm
wolfie52 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:13 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,789
Originally Posted by Doctorslices View Post
Breakfast was good. Standard buffet with eggs cooked to order, waffle maker, cereal, pastries and fruit. There wasn't really a clear process for the free breakfast though. We would usually tell the waitress who seated us but still ended up getting the full bill at the end of our meal and would have to have it corrected.
No problem at breakfast three weeks ago. Signed the bill, added a cash tip, hand wrote "Diamond Breakfast" on the bottom, and nothing appeared on my final bill. I was informed at check-in that the breakfast would be removed from my bill, but that was probably because I couldn't recall how this property handled breakfast from my earlier 2018 stay and asked about it.

Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
Don't know why people expect an upgrade when there is really nothing to upgrade to!
This property actually has at least six different suite configurations for sale. Having said that, I've been there at least twice this year and just don't think about upgrades when I think about HGI. I've had unsolicited upgrades this year at Hilton Alexandria and Hilton Dulles.
tom911 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 9:43 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
Don't know why people expect an upgrade when there is really nothing to upgrade to! Seriously, as a gold if I get an "upgrade" (which is only really offered at Hilton or Conrad) I am happy but it doesn't matter. It is a HGI---which offers Gold and Plat free breakfast. That is all you're going to get. These aren't luxury properties, just Hampton Inns +. And as HH's says, any upgrades are "space available".
Fair enough. I didn't realize HGI's didn't have the room upgrade perk and wasn't expecting much anyways on a 5 night stay. I mentioned this more of an FYI for other members who want to know their chances of an upgrade. As tom911 mentioned though, there are several room and suite configurations.

Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
Any "amenities" are available from the front desk via a call or visit.
I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't have a toothbrush in the bathroom. Is this common at HGI?

Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
They assumed you would not want the ironing board messed with. If I use it I always put it back...are they supposed to read your mind?
Assumed I didn't want the ironing board messed with? That seems like an odd assumption, especially 4 days in a row?

Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
Serioulsy there are tons of restaurants within 10 minutes walk! Go see the neighborhood.
We were walking pretty much nonstop the entire trip and tried many local restaurants. Sometimes after a busy day of walking, you just want a meal you can eat in your underwear without going anywhere else. I think the quality of the room service food is fair game for a review thread.

I'm not trying to trash the property. It wasn't a horrible stay. There was just a lot of small things that gave a bad impression. I just wanted to share some updated info for other members. It was pretty much the cheapest points property within a reasonable distance to DC. Maybe I should have just tempered my expectations more.
Doctorslices is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 4:21 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DEN
Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,564
Originally Posted by Doctorslices View Post
I left out the iron and ironing board on my first morning there because we had to rush out for a tour. Housekeeping didn't touch it and left it out our entire stay..
This one has me wondering. Where are you finding hotels that will put the ironing board away?

My experience (Hiltons, Doubltrees, HGIs, Hamptons, Marriotts, independent hotels) is that once I take the ironing board out, it stays out until I put it away.

I can't remember that last time I've taken the ironing board out and had housekeeping put it away.
missamo80 likes this.
bse118 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:06 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
This one has me wondering. Where are you finding hotels that will put the ironing board away?

My experience (Hiltons, Doubltrees, HGIs, Hamptons, Marriotts, independent hotels) is that once I take the ironing board out, it stays out until I put it away.

I can't remember that last time I've taken the ironing board out and had housekeeping put it away.
Interesting. Maybe it's a US thing? I guess the Asian properties spoiled me. I still don't understand why everything else would get returned to its place except the ironing board.
Doctorslices is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DCA/RIC
Programs: AA PLT/LTG, HH LTD
Posts: 952
Originally Posted by Doctorslices View Post
Fair enough. I didn't realize HGI's didn't have the room upgrade perk and wasn't expecting much anyways on a 5 night stay. I mentioned this more of an FYI for other members who want to know their chances of an upgrade. As tom911 mentioned though, there are several room and suite configurations..
The HGI brand is the most consisent of the HH brands in IMO by providing the same atributes at each hotel, and providing the room that was booked (without upgrade).

Originally Posted by Doctorslices View Post
I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that didn't have a toothbrush in the bathroom. Is this common at HGI?.
YES.

I am sure I have stayed in some rooms that provided those but can't remember the last time I did, and I would bet it was not a HGI. But as another pointed out, the front desk staff will hook you up with an emergency set to account for IROPS or foregttting to pack.

I am curious as to why our experiences are so different? Are you new to HH or just spend most of your stays in Asia and outside North America?
isle-hawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,508
Originally Posted by Doctorslices View Post
Had a recent stay here and was pretty disappointed.
  • Front desk thanked me for being a Hilton Honors member but no mention of diamond status
I see that as a feature, not a bug. I hate being thanked for being (fill in the blank) status, whether at hotels, airlines, whatever. Maybe it's just me.
KoKoBuddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:09 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
I am curious as to why our experiences are so different? Are you new to HH or just spend most of your stays in Asia and outside North America?
Most of my stays have been outside of North America. However the only HGI I've been to before this one was the HGI Downtown Phoenix but I got a great upgrade there (and a toothbrush in the room )

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy View Post
I see that as a feature, not a bug. I hate being thanked for being (fill in the blank) status, whether at hotels, airlines, whatever. Maybe it's just me.
I know what you mean but I just figure if they mention Diamond there's a higher possibility for an upgrade.
Doctorslices is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:42 pm
  #13  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Snohomish, WA
Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,375
Originally Posted by Doctorslices View Post
Most of my stays have been outside of North America. However the only HGI I've been to before this one was the HGI Downtown Phoenix but I got a great upgrade there (and a toothbrush in the room )

I know what you mean but I just figure if they mention Diamond there's a higher possibility for an upgrade.
Hilton brand standards require that the front desk thanks you for your status when you check in. Every Hilton property, every brand, is supposed to do this worldwide.

Toothbrushes are not a thing in US hotel rooms. Typically you have to ask the front desk for one.

As others have mentioned, upgrades are not a benefit at Hilton Garden Inn properties.

Neil
missamo80 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 3:10 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Hilton brand standards require that the front desk thanks you for your status when you check in. Every Hilton property, every brand, is supposed to do this worldwide.

Toothbrushes are not a thing in US hotel rooms. Typically you have to ask the front desk for one.

As others have mentioned, upgrades are not a benefit at Hilton Garden Inn properties.

Neil
At HGI, they typically have toothbrushes at the front desk, if you need one.
missamo80 likes this.
formeraa is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: