Wiki Posts
Search

Changing reward redemption rates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Changing reward redemption rates

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a trip that will include several hotel stays. The trip is in 7 months. In planning for this trip, I was monitoring Hilton reward redemption rates for certain properties. A couple of days ago, the rate went from 60,000 points per night to 190,000 for the same dates. That is a dramatic shift and as I am planning on earning rewards to pay for these hotels, a shift like this will affect whether or not I stat at the property. I don't want to waste time trying to save up Hilton points if the rate remains this high.

Does Hilton do this often?
Do the rates often come back down?
any advice on how to deal with these kind of variables when trying to stay at a Hilton?

Thank you in advanceadvance.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
It sounds more like the room type that you were looking at has now sold out and only premium room rewards remain. Try messing about with other dates at the hotel to see if this is the case
Brendan, aww3583 and Cymro like this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snevillio
It sounds more like the room type that you were looking at has now sold out and only premium room rewards remain. Try messing about with other dates at the hotel to see if this is the case
Yeah, I called Hilton and that is what they said. They weren't really willing to say whether not these rates become available again. I tried changing the dates and it did not seem to really make a difference...
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
try doing a 1 night stay search for points and check off flexible dates, you should then be able to see when the standard redemption rate is available.
TSparky likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jaybett4
Does Hilton do this often?
Yes, when room type(s) for the standard award are sold out for the night, premium awards are available for the other room types.
Do the rates often come back down?
Maybe, but I would not expect it.
any advice on how to deal with these kind of variables when trying to stay at a Hilton?
When you see the room available at a points cost that you are willing to pay, book it. Rooms booked with points are cancellable free of charge in most cases. Of course, if you do not have the points in hand, you are out of luck if the points cost changes, since you can't book it unless you have the points.
It is just like an airline fare. Just because it is available today for $100 (or 60000 points) does not mean that it will be available tomorrow for $100 (or 60000 points).

Given your situation and the fact that the standard rooms are sold out seven months in advance, I would look elsewhere. Do not expect to save up points and then make your reservation shortly before the stay.

Last edited by jbeckett; Sep 6, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:17 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The 60000 rate will probably return when someone else cancels a room they have booked for that date. How likely that is, only the hotel knows.

If you are looking at the paid rates, they have probably jumped from something like $250 to $500 at the same time as the points cost went up.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The points go up and down steadily now with this program. If you see a property and you are okay with the number of points, book it. If you were okay with 60,000 points then you needed to book it.

You also need to be careful with rebooking if the points cost falls. Sometimes when you cancel and try to rebook, for some reason, your cancellation does not become immediately available and then you are in a bit of a lost situation.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's almost certain that someone snagged the last standard room and now you're just seeing premium rooms.

Premium rooms at Hilton can be a total joke - e.g., Standard room 60,000 points, Deluxe room that's 20 sq ft larger 190,000 points. It's been that way for a few years now.

The latest incarnation of the program also has dynamic pricing on the standard rooms, but that's not what you're seeing here on the 60k vs 190k availability.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You are looking for a room 7 months out so there is a very good chance that standard redemption will be available again. Availability changes all the time, so check availability often!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You are looking for a room 7 months out so there is a very good chance that standard redemption will be available again. Availability changes all the time, so check availability often!
Thanks. Will do.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Yes, when room type(s) for the standard award are sold out for the night, premium awards are available for the other room types.

Maybe, but I would not expect it.

When you see the room available at a points cost that you are willing to pay, book it. Rooms booked with points are cancellable free of charge in most cases. Of course, if you do not have the points in hand, you are out of luck if the points cost changes, since you can't book it unless you have the points.
It is just like an airline fare. Just because it is available today for $100 (or 60000 points) does not mean that it will be available tomorrow for $100 (or 60000 points).

Given your situation and the fact that the standard rooms are sold out seven months in advance, I would look elsewhere. Do not expect to save up points and then make your reservation shortly before the stay.

I am going to monitor and look at alternatives until I am ready to book. Great information. Thank you!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
What are the dates and property? Outside of a few aspirational vacations I couldn't tell you the last time I booked anything 7 mos in advance . Unless we're talking about a room during the Super Bowl or some other time of extraordinary demand I'd say it's highly likely that a standard room/award will pop back up between now and then.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What are the dates and property? Outside of a few aspirational vacations I couldn't tell you the last time I booked anything 7 mos in advance . Unless we're talking about a room during the Super Bowl or some other time of extraordinary demand I'd say it's highly likely that a standard room/award will pop back up between now and then.
I'm not looking to book yet. I am just trying to get an idea of which hotel chains I should focus on to collect the necessary points. However, I am going to Japan in April. It seems to be a very popular time of year because of the blooming cherry blossoms.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hilton Honors is changing from "here's how many points you need to target" to "pay what we tell you to".

As a result, it's not really a programme for saving up points for something aspirational.

Keep in mind that popular hotels in Japan in April will fill up far earlier than you expect. If you don't have the points yet you are going to struggle. Book some flexible rate hotel stays as a placeholder.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hilton Honors is changing from "here's how many points you need to target" to "pay what we tell you to".

As a result, it's not really a programme for saving up points for something aspirational.

Keep in mind that popular hotels in Japan in April will fill up far earlier than you expect. If you don't have the points yet you are going to struggle. Book some flexible rate hotel stays as a placeholder.
I'm noticing that. I found some good Hyatt ootions. I will be booking them in the next month or so. Hopefully the Hyatt hotels will not change too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.