Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Why Hilton Has No Springhill Suites Clone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:03 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

I was just curious, why does Hilton not have a Springhill Suites clone? Before anyone says that the Embassy Suites is close enough, not really. Embassy came first, and it's usually seen in urban locations (a two-room suite is more space than a suite that boasts 25% more space than the average room). Anyone says the suites at Hampton or HGI, okay, but that isn't close enough.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Would Home2 Suites not be considered closer to Springhill Suites than Embassy Suites?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Would Home2 Suites not be considered closer to Springhill Suites than Embassy Suites?
Comparing the Hilton portfolio to Marriott's, I'd align Homewood Suites with Residence Inn, and Home2 Suites with Springhill.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:41 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Home2 Suites is more on the level of Towneplace by Marriott.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Will Stonehocker
Home2 Suites is more on the level of Towneplace by Marriott.
Well, that's ultimately the answer: Hilton doesn't market a Springhill clone because it has fewer than half as many brands as Marriott. The latter group markets 30+ flags, and who can tell the difference between half of them? Seriously, to the layperson, what distinguishes Residence Inn from Springhill Suites from Townplace?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by MS02113
Well, that's ultimately the answer: Hilton doesn't market a Springhill clone because it has fewer than half as many brands as Marriott. The latter group markets 30+ flags, and who can tell the difference between half of them? Seriously, to the layperson, what distinguishes Residence Inn from Springhill Suites from Townplace?
Yes — and who distinguishes a Ritz Carlton from a Fairfield Inn, anyway?!?

Okay — now that we got that laugh out of the way...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:42 am

I was just curious, why does Hilton not have a Springhill Suites clone?
Can you name some specific differentiating features of this brand that you feel Hilton fails to offer?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's not much brand consistency across the limited service properties generally . . . there are HGIs that IMO equate to Springhill Suites, particularly the Springhill Suites that are not new construction.

I will say though that the Springhill Suites San Diego Bayside is the nicest limited service property I've ever seen (by a large margin), and all the chains would do well to study what Marriott has done there. It is equally attractive to business travelers and vacationing families.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Yes — and who distinguishes a Ritz Carlton from a Fairfield Inn, anyway?!?

Okay — now that we got that laugh out of the way...
MS makes a valid point. The average American leisure traveler would be at a loss to distinguish one limited service suites brand from another.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Amelorn
MS makes a valid point. The average American leisure traveler would be at a loss to distinguish one limited service suites brand from another.
I have no hesitation in saying that 30 different hotel brands — which Marriott International currently has in its portfolio — is way too many for the average traveler to want to understand the differentiation.

One can even argue that point with the brand portfolio of Hilton, for that matter...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:56 pm

I have no hesitation in saying that 30 different hotel brands — which Marriott International currently has in its portfolio — is way too many for the average traveler to want to understand the differentiation.

One can even argue that point with the brand portfolio of Hilton, for that matter...
For many years, Hilton had been managing its brand portfolio conservatively. Each of its offerings was reasonably well defined, save of course for the catch-all DoubleTree. But CEO Christopher Nassetta seems intent on expanding into smaller and smaller niches, which will no doubt lead to confusion. The properties look nice, but what is Canopy's core proposition? We now have two "collection" brands—Curio and Tapestry—with a third in the works. Where does it end?

So long as the individual properties are high quality, the branding doesn't much matter. But the obsessive compulsive in me would like to see Hilton establish a manageable number of well-defined concepts and execute on them consistently.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I knew Marriott had a large number of brands but I had no idea it was that huge, it's worse than the Mercedes Benz range! I've not heard of half of them, even with someone who keeps my ear close to the ground when it comes to travel! Sure, it's not helped by the Starwood merger but there's so much overlap...

Maybe it's because I'm not a hotelier or branding expert but I think that the Marriotts/Hiltons of this world should be able to pigeonhole any of their properties into no more than say 8 brands. If that doesn't work and it's a unique property then don't brand it, or just call it XYZ by Hilton/Conrad whatever...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just curious, why does Hilton not have a Springhill Suites clone?
You have to understand the history of SpringHill Suites.

It started out as Fairfield Suites, and then got renamed. (It later changed a bit to distinguish itself more from Fairfield Inn, but the point is that's how it started.)

So the reason Hilton doesn't have an equivalent because it didn't have a Hampton Suites to rename, and nothing quite like SpringHill Suites was ever created as a "brand from scratch".
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MS02113
Well, but the counterquestion would be:

Why does Marriott have no Hilton Garden Inn clone? (Courtyard with its goofy bistro is certainly not it.) You can't explain that with the 30+ brands explanation!

Ie, every hotel program may have something that isn't quite cloned at other hotel programs, but that "something" is different at every hotel program.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, but the counterquestion would be:

Why does Marriott have no Hilton Garden Inn clone? (Courtyard with its goofy bistro is certainly not it.) You can't explain that with the 30+ brands explanation!

Ie, every hotel program may have something that isn't quite cloned at other hotel programs, but that "something" is different at every hotel program.
Didn't Hilton try to clone Marriott's W chain and get sued? They still have no hip Hilton brand for young party goers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.