New Hilton Cancellation Policy

Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hotel cancellation policy change - Hilton and Marriott

Just read this online. Apologies if this has been posted already.

The article states that Hilton will institute a 48hr cancellation policy for all Hilton managed properties in US and Canada starting on July 31st.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...724-story.html
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:50 am

New Hilton Cancellation Policy

I understand this isn't new in the industry but Hilton's recent change to 48 hour cancellation policy has me seriously considering a change. I'm not sure where I'd shift to as quite a few of the brands have similar policies, but leaning toward IHG based upon research of the hotels in areas I travel to mostly. I don't cancel a lot but the nature of business travel ultimately requires it on occasion. For the most part, most of the Hilton's I stayed at had a cancel by 6pm day of travel that worked well for me.

I get the hotel's position but to me it's just a part of being the hotel business. I'm surprised they don't factor loyalty status in their cancellation policy.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rob0225
I understand this isn't new in the industry but Hilton's recent change to 48 hour cancellation policy has me seriously considering a change. I'm not sure where I'd shift to as quite a few of the brands have similar policies, but leaning toward IHG based upon research of the hotels in areas I travel to mostly. I don't cancel a lot but the nature of business travel ultimately requires it on occasion. For the most part, most of the Hilton's I stayed at had a cancel by 6pm day of travel that worked well for me.

I get the hotel's position but to me it's just a part of being the hotel business. I'm surprised they don't factor loyalty status in their cancellation policy.
You may have already made up your mind, but I am finding that the 48 hour rule is not consistent with all rates. Corporate, AAA, MVP, and AARP often still have 24 hours or even 11:59pm the day before check-in. You may want to try using them.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You really need to research the specific rates at which you book. Most decent-sized corporate deals include 24 hours (or less). But, also be careful of jumping ship and giving up things you do need. The business is moving towards 48+ hours and you may displeased with a move followed by a change of policy.

It is also worth determining how much this hits you. Some people really do need last minute cancellation and others simply wait until they must make a decision. Others do not often change, but still worry that if they get hit 1-2x/year, it is a disaster in a large business.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:36 am

Also consider how individual properties enforce these rules. I just had to cancel at the Palmer House. My reservation became non-cancellable 48 hours in advance. I called about noon the day of arrival, after having already electronically checked in and requested a digital key. No problem -- I just explained what happened and they cancelled the reservation without penalty. I am DIA and I probably have 2-3 stays there a year, so that may make no difference. But in the rare instances when I've had to cancel past the deadline, I have found calling the hotel directly and explaining things always gets the reservation canceled without a penalty. Maybe we should have a list of properties that do and don't allow this somewhere in the HH forum.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:22 am

Well, I blame the Blogs which teaches readers to make multiple reservations and cancel after an upgrade is scored. And since upgrades are involved, it meant there are "loyal" members abusing the system first.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It isn't just the blogs, it is also people who book anything they might possibly need and then cancel last minute. That inventory spoilage, if it cannot be resold, is a loss paid for in higher rates.

People used to do this on WN. So much so that it joined other air carriers in prohibiting multiple bookings and anything which it deems the passenger not likely to fly.

Perhaps the long-term middle ground is for properties to sell a third room rate, e.g. with a 24-hour cancellation. Cheapest would be fully prepaid with no cancellation, the 48/72 hour would be #2 and a more expensive premium for those who want 24 hours or perhaps some even closer time in. It's something which ought to be paid for by those who want it and not carried by those who don't.
fpmurphy likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rob0225
[...] leaning toward IHG [...]
You might want to look in the IHG forum for comments about its new web site before deciding to switch.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PayItForward
Well, I blame the Blogs
Originally Posted by Often1
It isn't just the blogs, it is also people who book anything they might possibly need and then cancel last minute.
This is a revenue move. They are able to do it because occupancy is so high. Corporate customers with buying power can still negotiate better cancellation terms.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Oh when will the people learn that they get what they deserve. Changes in cancellation policies are driven by the behaviour of the consumer, just like everything else.

I expect a 6pm day of arrival cancellation policy. Not because I am likely to cancel but because .... happens sometimes. But I do not consider a change in business plans as part of that. I'm talking about an illness or family emergency etc. Those are emergencies, a change in business plans is not. Why should the hotel take the loss for a change in your business plans? It's your change, not theirs, so why should it not be your loss?

Now I, the traveller who does not think a change in business plans is an emergency which justifies you not paying a cancellation fee, has to deal with hotels changing their policies because of those travellers who do expect the hotel to eat the loss.

I'm in some agreement with Often1. There should be different categories you can book. But I would differentiate them based on type of traveller. Business travellers should be given a 24/48 hour cancellation period. Non-business travellers should be given a 6pm day of arrival cancellation. How does that sound to anyone? It may be impractical to enforce but it certainly puts things in a different light as to who should get preferential treatment! It seems to me that those who are least likely to cancel at/near the last minute should be the one to get preferred treatment.

Someone wrote above that they see cancellations as just being part of 'the cost of doing business' for the hotel industry and they can recoup it in higher rates. In other words, the hotel should allow the cancellations and then recoup it in higher rates for the people that have not cancelled. OK, how about, each morning when you check out, the hotel shows on your room bill, how many cancellations the hotel had that night and how much they are adding to your room cost to cover those cancellations. Happy with that? You are paying more because someone else was a no-show. Or how about accepting responsibility for your own actions. If you cancel, you pay for the room anyway and you just chalk it up to your 'cost of doing business.' Either you pay for someone else's inability to control their business travel or you pay for your own inability to control your business travel. Which would you prefer?

The hotel industry has decided that they are going to have you pay for your changes in plans. I'm glad to hear that, I won't be paying for them in higher room costs when I don't cancel my reservation.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 15, 2018 at 8:52 am Reason: Attempted bypass of the profanity filter. Please use a different word. Thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The majority of my cancelations are because of prices. I want to reserve a room, but hope that the pricing comes down. Many properties adjust rates down 1-2 weeks before the stay. Rebook night at lower rate, then cancel old booking.

I do sometimes book prepaid rates, when the deal is really good. However, I find that 75% of the time, I can beat the prepaid rate because the price drops later. This seems especially true of my USA bookings. Having a 24 hour cancellation policy works best. The only time I’ve ever canceled less than 24 hours is because of flight cancelations.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
The hotel industry has decided that they are going to have you pay for your changes in plans. I'm glad to hear that, I won't be paying for them in higher room costs when I don't cancel my reservation.
Hotels utilize yield management software which allows them to predict cancels and no-shows, and virtually all properties overbook because they expect a certain percentage of guests to cancel or no-show. With a 48 hour cancel, they get slightly better predictability of those numbers, but that's not at all what these changes are about.

The change in cancel policies reflect hotels taking advantage of a strong market to increase revenue, plain and simple. This blame game stuff is off the mark.
markko and birdiedouble like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 14, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The majority of my cancelations are because of prices. I want to reserve a room, but hope that the pricing comes down. Many properties adjust rates down 1-2 weeks before the stay. Rebook night at lower rate, then cancel old booking.

I do sometimes book prepaid rates, when the deal is really good. However, I find that 75% of the time, I can beat the prepaid rate because the price drops later. This seems especially true of my USA bookings. Having a 24 hour cancellation policy works best. The only time I’ve ever canceled less than 24 hours is because of flight cancelations.
Totally agree. I've learned that far out prepaid is a sucker's deal as prices always drop along the way.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:31 pm
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

Since the new 48+ hours policy went into effect I have made exactly two emergency day-of-arrival cancellations, both due to very bad weather that made travel impossible. In both cases I called the Diamond Desk and had them rebook me in a different Hilton. The Diamond Desk was understanding and I was not charged any penalty. I liked the flexibility of the old policy because occasionally I changed my plans. Now if my plans are uncertain I don't book until last minute, and sometimes Hilton has priced themselves out of my market and they lose my business. It would be nice if Hilton Honors would offer Diamond Members two or three penalty-free last minute cancellations per year so that those of us who are fairly loyal have some peace of mind for when disaster does strike.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I was unaware that you were allowed to book several weeks ahead of time a non refundable room and then if closer to occupancy date , call and get the lower price, I have had hotels do this automatically on flexible rates still outside of the cancellation period , but I dont book non refundable several weeks out. ( I find AAA or MVP or AARP is a little more with a lot of options)

Is this industry standards or Hilton official policy or an informal courtesy that is generally extend to you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.