Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page > Online check in and room upgrade Hilton

Online check in and room upgrade Hilton

Old Jan 13, 18, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: hilton
Online check in and room upgrade Hilton

So you get the option to check in online prior to any suggested offer upgrade based on for example gold membership for HH

So if you choose your room and check in does this mean you do not get your upgrade if it became available ?

Confused - I shall reach gold very soon so just getting prepared for it

Tnx PP
Old Jan 13, 18, 2:09 am
2018 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Silver;KLM Flying Blue Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I found this to be an issue in the past as it was better to check in at the hotel for upgrades purposes. Recently however it seems to be improved. You do get a message when you check in via the app that because of your status and if there is availability, you will be upgraded.
And hotels do upgrade. I have been upgraded 4 out of 4 stays recently
Old Jan 13, 18, 3:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, HH Diamond, VA Gold
There's a lot of threads on this with plenty of differing views. Airlines are first come but when it comes to Hiltons check in my rule is unless it is a hotel that knows you it is best to wait until your room has been upgraded unless you know the hotel will be full and upgrades will be unlikely then choose the best room you can otherwise you may get the worst one left.
Old Jan 13, 18, 4:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge 2018 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: OW Sapphire (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Gold
It used to be a problem, but in 2017 I nearly always check-in online, usually on the morning of my arrival. 4/5 I see that the "My Stay" section is updated and show the upgraded room. Then the remaining are split between having to pick a room of the same category I booked but nevertheless be upgraded when I arrive or not being upgraded.
Old Jan 13, 18, 5:03 am
2018 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Please ignore

Last edited by earlyriser; Jan 13, 18 at 6:04 am Reason: Oops wrong thread
Old Jan 13, 18, 5:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, loads more at "member" level
I've found that it matters when you do the online check-in. If you try immediately the check-in period opens my experience is you don't get upgraded. Trying much later (like the morning of the day of arrival) often shows me only one room available in the app, an upgrade, which presumably has been pre-allocated by someone at the hotel.
Old Jan 13, 18, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by abat View Post
I've found that it matters when you do the online check-in. If you try immediately the check-in period opens my experience is you don't get upgraded. Trying much later (like the morning of the day of arrival) often shows me only one room available in the app, an upgrade, which presumably has been pre-allocated by someone at the hotel.
This is exactly my experience. There is almost always a selection of standard rooms if I check-in online when prompted by the app, waiting until the day of arrival always yields a better selection.

Search this Thread