Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

H Hotel Los Angeles, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

H Hotel Los Angeles, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Just curious why would anyone choose the Curio over the Homewood? It’s more expensive, the breakfast is non-existent. You don’t qualify for the appetizers Homewood has, and the quality of the rooms really aren’t that much better. So why even stay at Curio?
Fitness center is nicer? Top floor? To be honest both are nice and you make a good point. I have enjoyed every Curio I've stayed in, but the Homewood is also a better deal.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Fitness center is nicer? Top floor? To be honest both are nice and you make a good point. I have enjoyed every Curio I've stayed in, but the Homewood is also a better deal.
Yeah just don’t get it. Seems to me you’re just paying a lot extra for no benefits and a lot of fluff and the “prestige” of being able to tell people you stayed at a Curio (albeit in LA!)
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Boutique like, can be better

H Hotel Los Angeles

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

H Hotel Los Angeles

15, St 246, Chaktomuk, Daunpenh, Phnom Penh, KH

Boutique like, can be better (15 Photos)

H Hotel Los Angeles

I had a rather longish overnight stopover at LAX before continuing my journey and therefore just decided to stay close to the airport.  When choosing for a reasonably priced property within the Hilton group, I came across this property which is part of the Curio Collection - which I was surprised to see that it is located close to LAX instead of the usual locations (e.g. Beverly Hills area and the likes).

The hotel is located just about 2 mins by car from Terminal 1/6 (basically just after the area with those afamous cylindrical light structures of LAX).  Maybe for guests with light luggage, you might even be able to walk from the terminals to the hotel.  I am not sure how long is the wait time for the shuttle (based on some of the reviews I've read), but I waited less than 10 mins before the shuttle arrived at the pick up area.  (According to the hotel staff on my return, the shuttles are supposed to go every 15 mins).  The shuttle serves both the Homewood Suite (which is in the same complex) and the parking garage just behind the hotel.

Other than that, I would say for the usual tourist or even for the business traveller (unless you're there for work at one of the companies at the airport area), there is not much around the hotel.  Parking at the hotel (or rather the garage close to the hotel) cost approx 40$ per day, which is quite expensive.  There is a Subway and a car rental agency within the same complex of the hotel.

Check In

I did an online check-in and received my digital key, so basically upon arrival at the hotel, I skipped the front desk and walked straight to the elevator and my room.  

I was actually quite impressed with the lobby area -shared by both H hotel and the Homewood Suite.  It was modern, chique and very welcoming with lots of lights.  For me it was my style of interior deco.

Access to the elevator and room is controlled by your digital key (or physical key).  The elevator is the new generation type of smart elevator where you first select your floor and it will direct you to the right elevator.  For me this seems to be a good smart system - although I am not sure in busy times, how efficient it will be.  

H Hotel_lobby.jpgH Hotel_lobby2.jpgH Hotel_lobby3.jpgH Hotel_lobby4.jpg

H Hotel_Lift.jpg

Room

The room in general was spacious and well appointed.  Decoration was modern and to a certain extend quite plain and simple.  After the lobby, I would say I was a bit let down by the decoration in the room - though it was functional.

I was not sure if I received an upgrade, but the room did have views towards the airport (I choose this room myself based on the map during online check-in).  The reason I was not sure if I received an upgrade or not was because the hotel does sell rooms with an airport view for a higher price - so not sure if my room was the more expensive airport view room or just a less nicer airport view room.  

There was 2 bottles of water provided in the room (not sure if this was due to my status or a norm), coffee/tea making facilities and a laptop size safe.  For the coffee, it was a Nespresso machine, however, I guess for cost saving purposes, the hotel provided some generic type of pods - which is far inferior to the real Nespresso pods.  I had to use the decaffineated pods (which were the real Nespresso pods) and the generic pods to get some taste.

There was a long working desk and a nice daybed type sofa.  There was also a small sofa at the foot of the bed.  The bed for me was just right - not too hard or soft.  Temperature control in the room was very good - and for me the most important, even at high fan setting, it was very quiet which is quite seldom (at least compared to Hilton's) so hopefully this is a norm for especially newer hotels.

The bathroom size was on ok - there was a walk-in shower (sadly with again a fixed shower head - norm in the US) with the toilet situated in a closet size area next to it.  There was 2 sinks.  Toiletries were from Temple Spa.  Temperature and shower presuure was good.

Internet and TV options were ok - reasonable internet speed and the TV had quite a few options including connecting your own device (which I did not try out).  

As for sleep quality - it was a mix bag, mainly due to noise isolation.  I did get lots of external noise coming in, which I was quite surprised as I had expected that if you build a hotel next to an active runway and a major road, this would have been taken into consideration.  Nearly the whole night long you can hear planes taking off - especially the bigger planes.  The noise from road traffic was audible too, but this was limited to certain hours as it died down eventually into the late night/early morning.  I am not sure how it would be if the room was facing away from the airport runway view. From the hotel inside itself, I did not really hear much noise nor any from the room next door - good wall isolation?

H Hotel_bath.jpgH Hotel_bath2.jpgH Hotel_bed.jpgH Hotel_bed2.jpgH Hotel_viewroom.jpg

Dining

As an elite member, I was offered a 10USD credit for breakfast if I had chosen outside of the list of options for the HHonors breakfast items (1 item).  Breakfast was at the main restaurant of the hotel - which was also very nicely decorated.  Service was friendly.

Only small complain here is I find it so terrible that every single item gets monetized.  For example, in the list of items for HHonors member, it is only the food it complimentary and if you want any drinks, you pay for it - charging 3.50$ for a cup of tea is to me basically daylight robbery - even if taking into account, the labour, electric cost, tea bag cost, etc.  The same for the coffee.  

H Hotel_bar.jpgHHotel_menu.jpg

Overall

All in all, I would say this is quite a unique boutique like hotel for an airport property - especially with the well thought off decoration around the whole lobby area - which I am sure will age nicely.  
Other than that, I did see that they had what was called a transfer room/lounge which I suspect might be used by guests having a late flight but can't stay in their room without additional charges to have a shower before heading off to the airport for their flight.  I did not ask about the usage of this facility or purpose of the transfer lounge.  

For me I will return to the propert if the price is right, but will most probably choose another room away from the runway (sad since it is nice to have that view, but since hotel is for a good nights rest, choices have to be made).

H Hotel_hall.jpgH Hotel_hall2.jpgH Hotel_shop.jpg

Boutique like, can be better

Would you like to write a review on the H Hotel Los Angeles?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Awesome review! Breakfast benefit reminds me of the Duniway in Portland, where the voucher covers the food, but coffee is definitely extra.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:07 pm

So concensus H Hotel or Hilton LAX??? Staying only for a night
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Awesome review! Breakfast benefit reminds me of the Duniway in Portland, where the voucher covers the food, but coffee is definitely extra.
The thing that is really the kicker there is I am pretty sure even the most basic concept of a "Continental Breakfast" includes coffee/tea.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Joroy70
So concensus H Hotel or Hilton LAX??? Staying only for a night
H offers a stylish, new room; a rooftop bar/kid play area with great views of LAX and a bit of L.A.; but a pretty dismal breakfast for Gold/Diamond members. Hilton if much larger, older rooms (though recently refreshed), has an executive lounge.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Just staying at the H hotel and got upgraded to one of the corner rooms with excellent airport view. (Diamond)
Overall a very nice hotel. Much nicer than the hilton.

Btw: there's a reasonable parking garage with in&out privileges just on the back of the hotel. 25 bucks per 24h
Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I stayed at the H Hotel back in November. The first room that they assigned me should have been taken out of service. A/C wasn't turning on, smoke detectors were bagged over and taped. I went back to the front desk with photos (I didn't want to be blamed for the smoke detectors being bagged and taped, although with the really high celings, I wouldn't have been able to reach them even if I stood on the bed). I was assigned a new room, and all was well. The room rate was definitely on the high side, and there were no benefits as a silver. The Homewood actually had a much higher room rate (Homeood was $229/night whereas the initial rate for the H was $189, eventually dropping down to the $139 that I paid). I was going to stay at the Hyatt next door being a mid-tier Hyatt elite, but I was traveling with a friend and decided that we shouldn't split up. The rooftop deck was quite nice though. I'd definitely stay here again if I could get the lower rate.

Ironically, I was denied for a BRG claim, so I booked at a higher rate ($189), but since it was not prepaid, I simply rebooked/changed my reservation every time the rate dropped, and by the time I checked in, the rate I actually paid had dropped down to the rate I was trying to file the BRG claim for ($139). With California taxes tacked on, it still came close to $200/night.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:19 am

Stayed here for one night last month. Left too early, so can't comment on the breakfast, but used the F&B credit on dessert in the restaurant the night before. No problems in applying the credit.

Nice room with views of the LAX sign. Only complaint was the A/C stopped working at some point during the night. Didn't bother changing rooms as we were leaving in a few hours anyway.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
The H Hotel now adds a $10.72 “LA ORD Fee” to guests’ folios at checkout. I pressed the front desk agent to remove the fee, which she explained was a new tax.

The fee was not disclosed on my booking; further, it is not disclosed when booking a room through Hilton’s app. Looking into this further, it appears the H Hotel has copied Marriott and other nearby hotels in charging this fee.

The fee is not a tax. The fee is also subject to the “Transient Occupancy Tax” and the “LA Tourism Assessment.” You’ll pay $1.71 in tax on top of the $10.72 fee.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/11/07/...-new-junk-fee/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.