Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Even More New Hilton Honors Benefits in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Full details

FAQ

Yes, Points + Points and Points + Miles earnings are going away, it's replaced with status-based bonuses. Base and silver member earnings winds up worse off. Gold earning wind up a teeny tiny better off. Diamond earning remains unchanged.

Only nights roll over to help with qualification in the following year, not stays or points.
Print Wikipost

Even More New Hilton Honors Benefits in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:55 am

Have I misread this somewhere? As a Diamond member that usually qualifies through stays (and not nights or points), am I better off cancelling all my Hilton stays in Q1 of this year and staying with Hilton from April onwards (100% points bonus rather than 50%). I tend to use the points from my business stays to fund my leisure stays so it looks like I can earn more from April onwards (?)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by RichH6109
Have I misread this somewhere? As a Diamond member that usually qualifies through stays (and not nights or points), am I better off cancelling all my Hilton stays in Q1 of this year and staying with Hilton from April onwards (100% points bonus rather than 50%). I tend to use the points from my business stays to fund my leisure stays so it looks like I can earn more from April onwards (?)
you would miss the Q1 promo which is good if you stay in low/medium price properties
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
if your current earning preference is for Points + Points you will receive the same bonus (100%). We will no longer be able to select different earning options.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jan 9, 2018 at 7:01 am
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko
if your current earning preference is for Points + Points you will receive the same bonus (100%). We will no longer able to select different earning options.
Thanks. I think I must have misunderstood the original Points + Miles option (I've only ever been Points + Points), I thought this offer was doubling the amount of Hilton points earned per stay.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:41 am
cjd

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
But if it's true (and are we sure?) that there will no longer be any additional promotions (double points, the current 2,000 per stay, etc.) your points earning will always be the same...as if there were no promos going on. And since for the past forever there has almost always been an additional promo going on, this does lessen your points earning potential.
Eujeanie, this announcement has nothing to do with the promotions which Hilton Honors runs every few months. Although never guaranteed, hopefully, the promotions will continue as they have done for many years now. I can even remember back many years to when they actually gave free night certificates after several stays. Sadly those great promotions seem to have long disappeared!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cjd
Eujeanie, this announcement has nothing to do with the promotions which Hilton Honors runs every few months. Although never guaranteed, hopefully, the promotions will continue as they have done for many years now. I can even remember back many years to when they actually gave free night certificates after several stays. Sadly those great promotions seem to have long disappeared!
Are you sure about that? I interpret the new superimposed bonus (the 10,000 and 30,000 pts at 40 and 60 nts, respectively) to be "the" bonus going forward. I agree about the straight earnings being changed (remaining flat since diamond will get more but the pts & pts are going away)...I find it hard to believe they will have other bonuses on top of that 10,000/30,000 one - and unfortunately that one is out of reach for many travelers.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by cjd
.... Personally, I rarely used Points + Miles, much preferring Points + Points, so this change has no effect on my points earning.
I found Points + Miles to be an excellent way to inject a new lease of life to dormant Frequent Flyer mileage accounts and ensure that I do not lose any miles due to lack of activity.
jefftiger and florens like this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
But if it's true (and are we sure?) that there will no longer be any additional promotions (double points, the current 2,000 per stay, etc.) your points earning will always be the same...as if there were no promos going on. And since for the past forever there has almost always been an additional promo going on, this does lessen your points earning potential.
I haven't read anything in the post or anywhere else that leads me to believe that ongoing promotions will be eliminated. I'm not sure where this belief came from, other than cynicism. To be clear, I'm not saying this cynicism is unwarranted.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
I don't see what benefit that would get you. The 100% bonus simply replaces the lost double-dip points so as a diamond your earnings are the same. Also, your first quarter stays will still count toward elite qualification and the nights will count toward the new 40 night bonus point system.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I strongly disagree. If I desperately *need* a room and every hotel is sold out, being able to get one, even at a higher-than-I'd-usually-pay rate, is a very valuable benefit. I certainly don't expect hotels to free up deeply discounted rooms for me on a whim when they are otherwise completely sold out.

Where I've been disappointed in the "diamond force" is in how frequently it's not available when I need it. With Marriott, for example, the platinum guarantee is available at any sold-out hotel (with very, very few exceptions). HHonors hotels seem to be able to get out of the benefit by claiming they are oversold by a very small percentage.
I've had poor luck over the years with Marriott's Plat Guarantee. Properties can game their way out of that one too, and when I've called Marriott they've said the hotel opted out due to "extreme demand". Well, duh, of course there's extreme demand: that's the only reason I'd ever need the guarantee!! If it were the Super Bowl, I'd (kind of, maybe) understand. But for me it's been random stuff...smaller-town hotels that opt out even when they're nowhere near a major world event that we (kind of) understand there being rationale for an opt-out.

One of the things I've liked about Starwood over the years is that I can usually get rooms at semi-big events. Oktoberfest, Rose Bowl, major city marathons ("prime" hotels for them), etc. Both Marriott and Hilton have fallen short in those kinds of cases - whether I was willing to pay or redeem points for rooms.

And yeah, I totally understand the paid guarantee is at rack rate. That's fine and completely understandable. My room rate is potentially causing them to walk someone else, so it's gotta be high. I just wish it was valid anytime, anywhere, no exceptions, with 48 hours' notice. Otherwise, it's not a real guarantee.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:34 am
cjd

Are you sure about that? I interpret the new superimposed bonus (the 10,000 and 30,000 pts at 40 and 60 nts, respectively) to be "the" bonus going forward. I agree about the straight earnings being changed (remaining flat since diamond will get more but the pts & pts are going away)...I find it hard to believe they will have other bonuses on top of that 10,000/30,000 one - and unfortunately that one is out of reach for many travelers.
True, there are now new bonus levels at 40 nights, 50 nights, 60 nights etc every 10 nights for the real road warriors. However, I do not see anywhere, where it states the normal ongoing bonus promotions will now be stopped. Hopefully that won't happen. Time will tell!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cjd
True, there are now new bonus levels at 40 nights, 50 nights, 60 nights etc every 10 nights for the real road warriors. However, I do not see anywhere, where it states the normal ongoing bonus promotions will now be stopped. Hopefully that won't happen. Time will tell!
Perhaps any new bonus promotions will focus more on rewarding/incentivizing the customers who do not feel the love from these changes to the Honors program.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't think quarterly promos will go away. As long as Marriott and Starwood are doing them, Hilton has to do them too. Something...

My point is that thanks to point inflation, the 2018 promotions must be better than the 2017 promotions or I'm less likely to participate. Simply repeating promotions is not enough. Of course, "better" is analyzed through the lens of my own stay pattern, which makes it hard for hotel promos to please everybody. I don't have a big problem with Hilton's more-simple promos (as compared to Marriott's that often require "primer" stays and multiple stays to get anything), but 2k per stay is on the very weak end in terms of total reward. (For my stays, anyway.)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:25 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Saw a few questions about promotions. We will continue to run our Hilton Honors promotions (i.e. Points Unlimited). Specific to airline promotions - for those members who choose to convert their Points into miles, we will continue to work with our airline partners and offer stay-based airline promotions.

Also rollover nights - only nights rollover, not qualifying stays or Points. Any excess nights at the end of the year above 60 would rollover to the next status year. Elite rollover nights are only valid for the next calendar year and will expire thereafter. They must be used in the following calendar year from when they were earned.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Saw a few questions about promotions. We will continue to run our Hilton Honors promotions (i.e. Points Unlimited). Specific to airline promotions - for those members who choose to convert their Points into miles, we will continue to work with our airline partners and offer stay-based airline promotions.

Thanks,
Lauren
Great! Apologies for my cynicism. Thanks for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.