FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Points on points stays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1886770-points-points-stays.html)

Points Payne Jan 7, 2018 2:20 am

Points on points stays

New here -

I have a few questions when you book a stay using points

Do you get points for the stays if the room is booked using points not cash ?

When you use points does that effect your status level ? So if I use 80k of points and I would be on gold for example would that reduce my points and change my level to silver ?

Tnx

Filthy Monkey Jan 7, 2018 2:59 am

You will earn points on a points stay if you charge incidentals to your room e.g. Dinner, drinks, room service etc. Points will be earned only on the cash portion of your bill, but you may also earn bonus points, depending on the incentive available at the time. Right now, for example, you will earn 2,000 bonus points per night, plus 1,000 points for your MyWay benefit and 10,000 bonus points for every 5 stays, so you could, in theory, stay for free in a 5,000 point, category A hotel, as long as you bounced between two hotels for alternate nights for at least 5 stays and charged incidentals on each stay.

Spending points has no impact whatsoever on status.

craigthemif Jan 7, 2018 4:18 am

Most people don't earn status via points either. (and bonus points won't ever count)

You earn points based on $$$ spent. But Hilton Honors is a bit out-of-the-ordinary in that you can earn bonus points from promotions for award stays.

I recommend you have a look around Flyertalk - especially the FAQ thread - as there is a lot of useful information to be found. You might end up more confused if you rely on replies to this thread from those trying to be helpful, but not knowing your exact situation.

PayItForward Jan 7, 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Points Payne (Post 29260423)
New here -

I have a few questions when you book a stay using points

Do you get points for the stays if the room is booked using points not cash?
Answer: You get your Gold welcome amenity points (if that is your preference) and points on incidentals on most brands but some brands (e.g. Hampton) do not earn points on incidentals. Also, if there is any promo going on, you could also get promo points even on award stays provide the terms are met.

When you use points does that effect your status level ? So if I use 80k of points and I would be on gold for example would that reduce my points and change my level to silver ?
Answer: When redeeming a stay, the points used do not change your status earnings for that calendar year.
e.g. 2018 - 1 stay / 2 nights / 5,000 points and Points available = 125,000.
Redeeming a one night (80,000) stay would
(Pre-stay) 2018 - 1 stay / 2 nights / 5,000 points and Points available = 45,000.
(Post-stay) 2018 - 2 stays / 3 nights / 5,125 points and Points available = 48,125.

On a hypothetical 80,000 point Conrad hotel night, notice that there was minimal impact to the year earning points (5,125) and the Points ("bank") was reduced first by 80,000 points and later increased by 3,125 points
(Assuming $10 incidental: 10*10*125%, 1,000 welcome points, 2,000 points per stay)

Tnx

tjs10 Jan 7, 2018 10:07 pm

Yes, according to the current Hilton Honors T&Cs (effective 1 March 2017) Reward Stays section, paragraph 15:

15. Members will earn Points (and miles if Earning Style Option selection is for miles) for combined Points and money Reward Stays on any money spent on eligible folio charges at Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts Hotels, Conrad® Hotels and Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels and Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Tapestry Collection by Hilton™, Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn® and Hilton Grand Vacations®. Members will earn Points (and miles) for incidental charges only for full Points Reward Stays at Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts Hotels, Conrad® Hotels and Resorts, Canopy™ by Hilton, Hilton Hotels and Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Tapestry Collection by Hilton™, Embassy Suites™, Hilton Garden Inn® and Hilton Grand Vacations®. Members will not earn Points (or miles) for incidental charges during any Reward Stay at a Hampton by Hilton™, Tru by Hilton™, Home2 Suites by Hilton® or Homewood Suites by Hilton® hotel.

However, good luck getting them to award you any FF points on stays, despite what their own T&Cs state as their IT is currently not set up to be able to post the miles you are entitled to.
Despite Hilton Honors confirming that the T&Cs were correct, I was advised back in September 2017 that IT dept were "working on a fix" but, as of earlier this week, an ETA could still not be given for resolution.

In the end, Hilton compensated me for the FF points I was entitled to by awarding me with the equivalent number of Honors points to be able to convert them to FF miles myself (at 10:1 ratio), however YMMV.

DrRodneyMcKay Dec 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Digging this thread up from the depths to verify: when they say members will earn points "on any money spent on eligible folio charge" on points and cash bookings, do they consider the cash part of the booking an eligible folio charge?

cjd Dec 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay (Post 31850418)
Digging this thread up from the depths to verify: when they say members will earn points "on any money spent on eligible folio charge" on points and cash bookings, do they consider the cash part of the booking an eligible folio charge?

Yes, you get points on the cash part of "points and cash stays." You also get any promotion points and Elite bonus points based on that cash spend.

Points Scrounger Dec 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay (Post 31850418)

Yes! The cash part is treated as a "room rate" for point-earning purposes; so, $150 + 20,000 points as an example would be 1500 plus elite and promo points.