Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond 48-hr Guarantee Still a Thing?

Old Jan 5, 18, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

Looking for a room downtown Atlanta for a weekend a few months from now (I know, not 48 hours, but still should be a 'guarantee') and several hotels are popping up as sold out for both cash and points. In the past, before 48 hours out, rooms were always available for points or for at the least a very inflated rate. Has that changed?
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's still a thing but if a hotel is over a certain % overbooked they can stop offering guaranteed rooms.

Neil
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
It's still a thing but if a hotel is over a certain % overbooked they can stop offering guaranteed rooms.

Neil
That seems to defeat the purpose of having a 48-hour room guarantee to me.
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Hilton Honors Terms and Conditions

• Guaranteed reservations availability, subject to the restrictions stated herein, at hotels within the Hilton Portfolio when paid reservations are made before midnight hotel local time, two or more days (48 hours) prior to intended arrival. RESTRICTIONS: This guarantee does not apply to reservations paid for in part or in full by Hilton Honors Points, or free night certificates issued by Hilton. This guarantee does not apply to a hotel when that hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by 10% or more (meaning, 110% or more of rooms are reserved). For certain hotels within the Hilton Portfolio, this guarantee does not apply when that hotel becomes overbooked on inventory by 2% or more (meaning, 102% or more of rooms are reserved). Consult with the individual hotel or view hotels with the 2% cap to determine whether the 2% limitation applies. This guarantee also does not apply to any hotel during Extraordinary Demand Dates. The term "Extraordinary Demand Dates" are dates determined by the hotel and Hilton Honors, in their sole discretion, that are consistently popular reservation dates for guests, such as during major events in the area or New Year's Eve. This guarantee applies to only one room reserved with a valid credit card and occupied by the Diamond Elite Member. Please note that this guarantee does not impact the rate, and the reservations made under the guarantee will be subject to the hotel's prevailing rate for the accommodations requested. In the event the Member does not arrive as scheduled, or does not call to cancel and obtain a cancellation number, the credit card will be charged one night's room and tax. The 48-Hour Reservations Guarantee applies to reservations made online at a hotel Website, through Hilton Reservations and Customer Care, through the Diamond Special Services Department, or with the hotel directly. Promotional Rewards are not applicable for reservations booked under the 48-Hour Reservations Guarantee. The 48-Hour Reservations Guarantee may periodically be restricted in Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton hotels due to the extended stay nature of guest stays at the Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton brands. The 48 hour guarantee does not apply at the Conrad Maldives Resort & Spa, Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort and Spa, Ho'olei at Grand Wailea, Kingston Plantation Condos, Royale Palms, Conrad Koh Samui Resort & Spa or Hilton Grand Vacation.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 4:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Another completely worthless benefit that Hilton CLAIMS they offer. Think about the concept of the 48 hour guarantee....you are never going to need it for a room at the Embassy Suites in Fargo, ND in February. You are going to need it for Monday night in Atlanta for the Championship game. You are never going to need it for Phoenix is August, you will need it for NYE in New York City.
Complete joke really
jamesteroh, hi55us, B3nder and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 7:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have noticed this lately. Might just be me, but a couple of years ago there were always 48hr diamond guarantee rooms available when sold out; recently when I've looked, there's been nothing. Could be coincidence.

But yeah, its not a guarantee at all, is it?
dmarge18 and B3nder like this.
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA PLT/1mm
Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
I have noticed this lately. Might just be me, but a couple of years ago there were always 48hr diamond guarantee rooms available when sold out; recently when I've looked, there's been nothing. Could be coincidence.

But yeah, its not a guarantee at all, is it?
I too noticed the same thing. I haven't really paid much attention to this "benefit" before but when I just now tried to book a (usually inexpensive points or cash) airport HS at RIC on a Saturday a few weeks from now and not provided an option at all I wondered what about this so called 48 hour guarantee. It is just a marketing gimmick apparently. Up 'till now I have not been as upset as many here of the Diamond give-aways. But have to think with so many they cannot support this advertised benefit lie anymore. For the many not familiar with RIC, it is a small/medium size airport with little to nothing around it except the airport and a NASCAR racetrack with no race that weekend and all the other hotels around it show available rooms.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Mar 8, 18 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Saw several Diamond guaranteed rooms for a night in Albuquerque last week.
Old Mar 10, 18, 1:03 pm
jtr

Programs: AC E50K, HH Diamond
one of the more frustrating "non-benefits" you earn as a diamond! even if you find a 48-hour guarantee, the rate is likely going to be completely ridiculous (in my experience, anyway!).
Old Mar 11, 18, 12:06 pm

I get it is frustrating when a company says guarantee, and then has terms that let them wiggle out of said guarantee, but doesn't there have to be a limit on offering availability?

There are plenty of examples of where cities are truly at full capacity for hotels. My assumption is that Hilton offers this guarantee knowing that they might have to walk other people, right? Well, if they know there is no place to put them they can't keep offering rooms to elites. Or at remote resorts where there would be real pushback if they tried to completely change people's vacation plans at the very last minute.

Maybe they should call it something cheeky like 'Almost Always 48-Hour Guarantee' or something.
Old Mar 11, 18, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have used it plenty of times.

I understand we "want everything" but the T&C make it clear and I could only imagine what happens if 15 diamonds use the guarantee at the same hotel at the same time.

There will be "I wasn't given a room even though i booked a diamond guarantee" thread.

I don't understand why people expect blanket treatment just for them because "status". A hotel has a fixed number of rooms. It isn't like they can add another one

Use it when you can, when you can't, you can't
Old Mar 11, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
I have used it plenty of times.

I understand we "want everything" but the T&C make it clear and I could only imagine what happens if 15 diamonds use the guarantee at the same hotel at the same time.

There will be "I wasn't given a room even though i booked a diamond guarantee" thread.

I don't understand why people expect blanket treatment just for them because "status". A hotel has a fixed number of rooms. It isn't like they can add another one

Use it when you can, when you can't, you can't
Reminds me of the joke about the guy who wants a room, and is told, "I'm sorry, sir, but we are fully booked and have no rooms available."
The man replies, "You mean to tell me that if Queen Elizabeth showed up you wouldn't find some way to accommodate her?" The hotel guy says, "Oh, well, if Queen Elizabeth arrived we'd definitely find a room for her." So the guest says, "Well she's not coming, so I'll take the room you were going to give her."
Old Oct 6, 18, 11:44 am

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond-HertzGold
I booked one for the first time in Vegas later this month. So...does that mean I have the room? I'm confused.
Old Oct 6, 18, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by wunderpit View Post
I booked one for the first time in Vegas later this month. So...does that mean I have the room? I'm confused.
What are you confused about? Do you have a reservation? If so, a diamond guarantee reservation is just like any other Hilton reservation that you have.
Old Oct 7, 18, 2:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
This still exists, i have used it several times recently. Rates not too out of the ordinary either.

I will also say in the past i have used this several times to get around Minimum night stay requirements at places. (An example was at a popular beach location where they required a 2 night stay to release a room, and i only wanted 1 night).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: