Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
I don't call or email in advance, I simply add a note when making the reservation to the effect of "Suite upgrade requested if available" which takes ten seconds at most.

If I'm not preupgraded to a suite then I will ask again at check-in.

This has resulted in a suite upgrade (or 2-BR at Homewood Suites) approximately 95% of the time for me.
Thanks for that tidbit, I will try that. The closest I have come to asking is when if I happen to be coming back to another stay at the hotel within the next few weeks and often that will prompt a proactive, "Oh what day is that so we can make a note of it" and I will usually yield something above average when I return
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
And it was a Q4FN
I miss those. *sniff*
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:22 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Been a Diamond for the last 5 years, and my only real upgrades seem to be at the Doubletree Shanghai Pudong...3-5X a year for the last 2+ years and EVERY time I'm upgraded to a suite. The generic 'welcome letter' for Diamonds explicitly says that "as a Diamond member, you're entitled to a suite upgrade". It's as automatic as it comes (and why I've always stayed there since it became a Doubletree).

Everywhere else on the planet in the HH Family--RARELY, if ever. I actually have had better and more frequent upgrades as a Marriott Gold and a ICHG Platinum. Upgrades seem automatic at Crowne Plazas--usually to suites, but because they don't give away Club Level rooms, I don't book with them very often.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I find I get suites more often at properties I regularly visit. So I am never sure if it is my frequent guest to their property doing the trick or a combination of Diamond and frequency to their property. Have had impressive upgrades at every brand (even Hampton Inns) but my reading of the T&Cs doesn't lead me to expect suites (just that they can upgrade you if they feel like it) so perhaps my lowered expectations keeps me happy.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is Diamond worth $316

I will be 3160 base points short of Diamond at the end of the year. Is it worth it for me to spend $316 to make Diamond?

I'm not a business traveler.

Plans for 2015: Conrad Rangali 10 nights on points.

A total of 6 nights at the Conrad Singapore

Maybe 5-12 nights in French Polynesia

Probably another 3 nights in Singapore at the Conrad.

I'm Gold now
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:32 pm

I'm guessing that if any single one of those long stays in those properties/regions gets upgraded to a suite or such, you're going to reap (much) more than $316 in book value.

Of course, you could also have bad luck. I'd check the treatment of diamonds at each property you're specifically interested in.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: HH D
I'd say yes, I think I would spend $360 with a schedule like that. I am almost always treated very well with great room upgrades as a Diamond, both outside North America as well as within. However, I mostly travel on low occupancy days, which makes it easier to be rewarded with an unsold suite or so.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
With your planned international stays, the answer is yes.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:28 pm

I would definitely spend that with your upcoming trips to secure Diamond.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:37 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
At the risk of appearing to just boost my post count, and repeating what's said above...YES, for that little amount, despite the nay-sayers here, IMhO it's worth it.

You'll get a bump in earned points (the increased percentage from Gold vs Diamond), and don't forget the fractions of a cent per point that you'll earn on that $316 spend.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Agree with everyone else so far. Now if all of your upcoming stays were solely in the USA, I would not spend the money.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by manneca
I'm not a business traveler.

Plans for 2015: Conrad Rangali 10 nights on points.

A total of 6 nights at the Conrad Singapore

Maybe 5-12 nights in French Polynesia

Probably another 3 nights in Singapore at the Conrad.

I'm Gold now
Most seem to miss out the fact that you are NOT a business traveler. But my recommendation is still yes, by flipping it the other way around:

The Diamond status gives you more leverage to get things right, if your stays don't turn out the way they should be. The last thing the hotel GM wants is to have a Dimaond making an official complaint to Corporate. (Worse still, the Diamond writing here on Flyertalk... )

Given your travel preference (Conrad), I would assume that you don't care about the points (they are worth nothing these days, by the way). Personally, I am a business traveller but I no longer care about the miles and points anymore - ALL of them are so depreciated that they are not worth much anymore. I'm here just for the status, to be sure that if I start complaining, at least the GM listens... Isn't that sad these days in the hospitality industry???
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
Most seem to miss out the fact that you are NOT a business traveler.
Point not missed. I'm strictly a leisure traveler these days, and I really appreciate a nice Executive Lounge found mostly outside the USA; nice Diamond perk.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Value & worth questions are hard to answer on FT. We don't know -- and should not know -- your circumstances. If $316 is what you drop at the bar after work, it's definitely worth it. If $316 is the amount you need to prevent your house from being foreclosed, i's not worth it.

Point is, that only you can make the determination. Do you care about a suite?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
Most seem to miss out the fact that you are NOT a business traveler.
I don't understand this comment at all. None of the previous comments had anything business-travel-specific. They all spoke to the value of suites, etc. at high-end international destinations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.