Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Is this worth it to get Diamond-

Since award stays count towards status, my trip to the Big Island has me within about 5 nights of making Diamond. 2 or 3 nights I'll get with an upcoming business trip.

My question- Do you think it's worth it to spend a few thousand points on "free" nights in a local Hampton or something so that I can earn Diamond?

I haen't worked out the point values yet to see what's available, but in theory- I am thinking that what I would spend with point stretchers I will make up quickly since Diamonds earn points at a faster rate.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:29 pm

Take it from a Diamond

DEFINITELY
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Can't comment on the diamond upgrade value (I'm a lowly gold and prob. destined to be for some time)

If you go with the free nights route, note that the Silver Spring/Colesville Road Hilton is on a category 1 pointstretcher (6K) through the end of the month. Far and away your best value in the D.C. area.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's definitely worth it. You may find that a no-show at a cheap location is a better use of $ or points to get the last couple of stays/nights:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/009244.html

FYI - The Reno Hilton has recently had $29/night specials.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Is this worth it to get Diamond?</font>

Only if you wish to someday redeem points.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Without a doubt it's worth it. I'll never give it up.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:56 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I recall reading in a past thread from earlier this year that award stays can only count towards status based on stays, and nights on awards don't count for elite status. I have used many GLON awards this year, but I have been working on the assumption my 30 nights don't count towards status nights even though they are in my yearly tally. My 5 award stays on GLONs do count for status.

Is this correct?
Old Dec 2, 2003, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I dont think anyone has said this in this thread yet, but...

...take it from a Diamond member without a doubt, it is definitely worth it.

-----------------

Despite my poor attempt at levity, I seriously and truly mean it.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have received stay credit for award stays at least six times this year, but on number of stays, not nights.

Nights doesn't really matter to me, I'll do it in stays, and according to their silly software I have well over 400 nights this year (actually way less then that)
Old Dec 3, 2003, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Diamond is pretty cool. I believe most of the Diamonds on this board get it pretty quickly and easily through business and/or leisure travel. Although some have stated that the benefits/upgrades are hard to come by, my success rate has been about 95% worldwide.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I have no idea how exactly awards stays are supposed to count toward status. Mine have counted in the stay and night columns, but I don't know if what is displayed is what's used to calculate requalification.
Old Dec 4, 2003, 8:45 pm

I would go for it. I have been upgrade 90% of the times to a better room and/or suite.

You really notice it when you stay at the HGI. I'm 100% upgraded at all HGI's to suites. Free highspeed makes it a place of choice.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrades, Diamond Desk, and best of all for me is NO blackout dates.

3 years running as a Diamond and I dropped Marriott gold, and I'm not looking back.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 4:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
I'd be real interested in getting Diamond just to see what real difference it would make for me. I'm not bragging, just saying I'm very happy as Gold.

I'll give you the details from 2003, and would love to hear from Diamonds how I might have done better (other than more bonus points). Notably, these are ALL reward stays, so I'm not having any issues with availability:

DT Denver, 4 stays, huge suites and breakfast every time, they greet me by name when I walk up to the counter

HI&S PHX/Tempe - upgraded to suite

Pointe H Squaw Peak - upgraded to casita and breakfast coupons for all, with liberal usage policies (OK at lunch, gift shop, etc.)

DT Rosemead/Montebello - suite upgrade and breakfast

What am I missing out on?

[This message has been edited by Rut Dog (edited Dec 12, 2003).]
Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:12 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
Absolutely go for Diamond!

I wouldn't burn the points for cheap rooms though.

This is why I like being Diamond.
Friday night stayed at the Doubletree at SEA on an AARP rate of $62. Received two $10 chits for food at check in for hotel dining. Ate dinner at their restaurant Seaports (Highly recommended) when I got my bill at check out they had credited me for $24 instead of $20 (no idea why). Upgraded us to the suite on the top floor on the end (deck wrapped around two sides). A co-worker wanted me to pick up a tin of Doubletree cookies ($10) for her husband who loves the cookies. So I asked them to add a tin to my bill. The desk clerk insisted on comping them to me. Plus free shuttle to and from airport.
All on a $62 stay. Yes I like being Diamond, No change that to, "I LOVE BEING DIAMOND".
I was so impressed that I just changed a February reservation elsewhere over to this hotel.

------------------
"A day without FF Miles is like a day without SUNSHINE"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.