Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stc
Let's see, Executive Lounges that are open on weekends, more Executive Lounges ...

(Yes, Hyatt probably does have some Executive Lounges that are open on weekends, but I've never found one ...)
Ok, given I just started staying at Hyatt's I can't comment. But I found lots of Hilton hotels with closed lounges on weekends.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I'm moving from HH to Hyatt, and wondering what you more does HH offer than Hyatt? Other than properties. I never get suite UG's with Hilton anyway...
Well the properties is the main reason I stay with Hilton. If Hyatt had as many properties as Hilton, I would have no problem making the switch. In LA, Hyatt is the exception and has the andaz in the area I like to be in where Hilton has no properties, but in any other city I am in, Hilton has at least on property in the area I want to be at and Hyatt usually has none.

For people who like airline miles, the double dipping is a great benefit. I used to love the benefit when Southwest had RR 1. Now I don't use it, except for in cases like now where you can get Delta MQMs (which aren't much but still help to pad the rollover).

If you have a lot of expensive hotel stays but not enough nights to make diamond at Hyatt, Hilton can be at an advantage there if you have $10K in charges a year.

Hyatt does offer a guaranteed 4 p.m. check out even for me as a PM which is nice and they also offer guaranteed room availability and it seems to be a lot better than Hiltons. I was considering a LA trip a couple weeks ago and all the hotels in the city were sold out and Hilton was claiming extradordinary demand and wasn't allow diamond force on their rooms, but as a PM with Hyatt I could have received a room at the Andaz (was $350 a night but was still a room if I REALLY needed to be in LA)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Well the properties is the main reason I stay with Hilton. If Hyatt had as many properties as Hilton, I would have no problem making the switch. In LA, Hyatt is the exception and has the andaz in the area I like to be in where Hilton has no properties, but in any other city I am in, Hilton has at least on property in the area I want to be at and Hyatt usually has none.

For people who like airline miles, the double dipping is a great benefit. I used to love the benefit when Southwest had RR 1. Now I don't use it, except for in cases like now where you can get Delta MQMs (which aren't much but still help to pad the rollover).

If you have a lot of expensive hotel stays but not enough nights to make diamond at Hyatt, Hilton can be at an advantage there if you have $10K in charges a year.

Hyatt does offer a guaranteed 4 p.m. check out even for me as a PM which is nice and they also offer guaranteed room availability and it seems to be a lot better than Hiltons. I was considering a LA trip a couple weeks ago and all the hotels in the city were sold out and Hilton was claiming extradordinary demand and wasn't allow diamond force on their rooms, but as a PM with Hyatt I could have received a room at the Andaz (was $350 a night but was still a room if I REALLY needed to be in LA)
Good summary. I couldn't agree more on properties, huge benefit for Hilton. Double dipping is a valid point too, but you could look at it as Hilton redemptions are more expensive. 50% more, hard to say.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You should have told them you were a Diamond VIP guest

Did you bring your giraffe and demand they kick out the person paying rack rate for the presidential suite to give it to you on a MVP rate?
I have a giraffe plush
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Good summary. I couldn't agree more on properties, huge benefit for Hilton. Double dipping is a valid point too, but you could look at it as Hilton redemptions are more expensive. 50% more, hard to say.
If Hyatt had the kind of property selection that Hilton does, it would be a no brainer switching my loyalty over to Hyatt, even without double dipping. Just being assured of a 4 p.m. checkout is worth it for me.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
If Hyatt had the kind of property selection that Hilton does, it would be a no brainer switching my loyalty over to Hyatt, even without double dipping. Just being assured of a 4 p.m. checkout is worth it for me.
yet another flaw with hilton diamond benefits....they do not guarantee the 4pm checkout....its only subject to availability....i have been denied 4pm checkout a number of times....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Just booked three reward stays yesterday at the normal "price" at exactly the hotels I wanted on the dates I wanted with the room choices I wanted.

Nuance, please
another request denied this morning saying that as long as a premium room is available, i cannot use the normal number of points to book a room....
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Keyser
yet another flaw with hilton diamond benefits....they do not guarantee the 4pm checkout....its only subject to availability....i have been denied 4pm checkout a number of times....
I don't think late checkout is a published benefit in HHonors, other than subject to availability.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
I don't think late checkout is a published benefit in HHonors, other than subject to availability.
No. I normally don't get denyed a late checkout (usually I never ask for no later than 2), but I have been declined before. The Palmer house in chicago is the only property I have stayed at where they will offer a diamond a 4 p.m. and a gold a 1 p.m. checkout time when they check in.

Hyatt provides a late checkout guaranteed for their top two tiers (can't remember if it's 2 or 4) and Starwood has the 24 hour day revolving checkin benefit.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
its not....i think its the only major chain that does not offer this benefit....

Starwood has the 24 hour day revolving checkin benefit.
my24 is a benefit offered to those who have over 75 nights a year....but all plat & gold members are offered 4pm checkout (except at resort & conference properties) as a published benefit....

so once again, its only hilton that doesn't offer 4pm checkout as a published benefit to their top tier members....
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Keyser
another request denied this morning saying that as long as a premium room is available, i cannot use the normal number of points to book a room....
Did you contact the hotel directly? I encountered this on the website but contacted the Conrad Singapore directly and they opened up a night so I could use a 4 night award. I suspect being diamond had a lot to do with it.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Did you contact the hotel directly? I encountered this on the website but contacted the Conrad Singapore directly and they opened up a night so I could use a 4 night award. I suspect being diamond had a lot to do with it.
Wait, is that true?
I've contacted diamond desk, and they said they can't force the hotel to open up regular room (for award booking). Only premium room is available on my dates, and the points cost just horrible.

And it was Conrad Singapore. Do you have any contact for the hotel?
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by tomy77
Wait, is that true?
I've contacted diamond desk, and they said they can't force the hotel to open up regular room (for award booking). Only premium room is available on my dates, and the points cost just horrible.

And it was Conrad Singapore. Do you have any contact for the hotel?
Thanks in advance.
I would just try calling the DD again. It may depend on the property and how full they are as well.

My wife tried using her two Citi weekend certificates in London as a gold and was denied since only premium rooms were available. I called the diamond and they got the request through.

Sometimes the DD has to contact the property make the request and will get back with you a few days later as well.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Worth it at Washington Hilton

I arrived at the Washington Hilton yesterday for a 2-night trip with my wife and someone else in my office who is gold and her husband for a meeting this afternoon.

At the Washington Hilton, it does pay to be Diamond. They gave us a great end suite 3-room suite and the kitchen separating the Living room/seating area and the bedroom has a full size subzero fridge and all three doors have their own hallway entrance. It appears that they gave us three separate rooms the all connect.

This property only gives lounge access to people on the exec level or diamonds, they will only give golds lounge access if they are on the exec level. Whilst I am not on the exec level (I'll take this awesome suite over an exec level room anyday), we should have access but the lounge is closed for 7 to 10 days (not sure if they are renovating or it is due to the holiday and a staffing shortage). My wife and I received a great full breakfast and the other lady in my office and her husband only received a cont. breakfast. We also received vouchers for free appetizers in the bar and 4 drink chits for the bar due to the lounge being closed, and the other couple didn't receive them.

Properties like this and the Atlanta Hilton are great about giving their diamond guest the right treatment.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
tried that as well....they said redemption requests have to be made with hilton & there is nothing the property could do about it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.