Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by MattPol
Been very, very worth it for me, but I do most of my travel in Europe and Asia, and in Hilton-flagships and Conrads.
Same here. Guaranteed lounge access is a huge deal in many properties.

I wonder if properties in Europe are nicer to diamond guests because there is not quite so many of us? I am not aware of a European credit card arrangement to get diamond status, so I've ticked over the 28 stay mark last year and again this year, and expect to do so again next year.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Action Man
I have been an HHonors VIP since 1996 and have watched the steady decline and sadly I think the solution is simple.

My first card was Silver VIP because of my initial stay. Even as a Silver VIP cardholder, back then, I felt recognised and the few benefits it offered distinguished it from basic membership. Eventually there were airline-sponsored 4 stay/90 day Gold VIP promos, which allowed frequent travellers to attain Gold. As I moved to Gold VIP, the difference was immense. Executive Floor upgrades, etc. but with my travel habits at the time Diamond seemed out of reach. When the Diamond promos did arrive, the requirements were reasonable all things considered but a bit of a stretch. But when I finally moved into Diamond there was again a huge difference to Gold.

These promos always made sense. They were offered to people who fly a lot and would likely re-qualify (as I have ever since) if they liked the programme.

I know this may be beating a dead horse so bear with me, but the real problem started with the credit card VIP handouts. It has ballooned the membership numbers, of ALL cards, with people who use the services in sufficient numbers to create strain on the system but not frequently enough (or with enough annual spend) for Hilton to be able to justify extending extraordinary benefits to people they may never see again.

There are now simply too many Diamonds VIPs. But there are not too many earned Diamonds. The solution is not to raise the requirements for people who actually earn it or to create another "exclusive" card. HHonors needs to go back to basics and remember that they are at heart a frequent hotel guest programme, and that the way they distribute these cards, and the reasoning behind it, should be consistent with this. I would even be happy seeing lower RE-qualification requirements. But I'm sorry, people that actually get their cards by staying in hotels deserve distinct recognition at the top tier and it will prove increasingly difficult to do this if the same benefits can be obtained by applying for a banking service.
Hilton should only give silver away with a credit card and maybe free internet access. Hyatt you are PM with their card, and you do get internet and guaranteed availability like diamond force but no breakfast or lounge access and if you spend $40K on the card a year, you get 10 nights or 5 stay credits on your account towards diamond. If Hilton did the same thing with their credit card it would allow guests to reach diamond easier, but would still require a lot of hotel stays as well.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marybdisney
I've found the diamond status most helpful for getting rooms in otherwise sold out hotels. Traveling to some popular tourist areas during prime holiday periods I've been able to use diamond status to book rooms with points where I would not have been able to get a room at all without it. To me, this is the most important reason to keep diamond status.
You know that they pulled this perk right?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by azepine00
While it has been pulled as an official benefit, many properties provide it.

My wife and I are going to Europe and wanted to use 2 of the citi certs there. She is gold and was denied because no "standard" rooms were available. I called the diamond desk and they got the property to accept them.

There was one other time this year where she couldn't use points as a gold, and I was able to use an Axon award of only 145,000 points. I truly appreciate the properties that go out of their way for diamonds.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by azepine00
I didn't, assuming we're talking about the same thing.

Until quite recently I was seeing online messages about extra rooms being added because I was Diamond. Is that the thing that has disappeared? If so, is there a link for the discussion on it so I can read more?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: A3, KL, HHonors, A-Club, CC
Originally Posted by stifle
I wonder if properties in Europe are nicer to diamond guests because there is not quite so many of us? I am not aware of a European credit card arrangement to get diamond status, so I've ticked over the 28 stay mark last year and again this year, and expect to do so again next year.
The German HHonors credit card issued by DKB has Gold as its base and Diamond in 2013 if you charged more than € 20.000 in 2012 (may be different in 2013 for Diamond in 2014). The German card is issued to everybody with a German bank account regardless of country of residence.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Gold versus Diamond

Originally Posted by WindShear
Is Diamond really worth much more than Gold? I’m Gold and need to decide where to send my business next fiscal year (all domestic U.S. stays). Are the Diamonds that are “formerly Gold” able to see a discernable difference? Is it really worth spending that many more nights for nearly equal treatment amongst the tier levels? Having asked the same question to HH CS – I was “ offered” Diamond status with Hilton based on my status and track record with a competitor – as I trust my fellow FTers to be fair and objective, let’s hear it – worth it?

[This message has been edited by WindShear (edited 09-30-2002).]
I've been Diamond and I've been Gold. Diamond not worth the effort, IMHO. both get breakfast and goodies. Other than the Diamond Force (which I used once or twice), it's not worth the effort.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gretchendz
I've been Diamond and I've been Gold. Diamond not worth the effort, IMHO. both get breakfast and goodies. Other than the Diamond Force (which I used once or twice), it's not worth the effort.
DSA >> Diamond force. But DSA is gone.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I didn't, assuming we're talking about the same thing.

Until quite recently I was seeing online messages about extra rooms being added because I was Diamond. Is that the thing that has disappeared? If so, is there a link for the discussion on it so I can read more?
guaranteed availability on award stays is gone:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ard-stays.html

guaranteed availability on paid stays is there but forced rack rates make this completely useless to me
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by Action Man
...There are now simply too many Diamonds VIPs. But there are not too many earned Diamonds. The solution is not to raise the requirements for people who actually earn it or to create another "exclusive" card. HHonors needs to go back to basics and remember that they are at heart a frequent hotel guest programme, and that the way they distribute these cards, and the reasoning behind it, should be consistent with this...

Hilton, you should listen to that! I it indeed a main annoyance that you give away Diamond status! Another main annoyance is that Gold and Diamond get the same benefits in most cases!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Hilton, you should listen to that! I it indeed a main annoyance that you give away Diamond status! Another main annoyance is that Gold and Diamond get the same benefits in most cases!
Perhaps we should start a thread about what properties treat their diamonds right? Many treat us the same as golds, but some do treat us better. My wife is Gold, and she stays at many of the same properties I do when on the road for business. Some treat diamonds worse The Palmer House in Chicago two weeks ago was going to give a better upgrade to two golds travelling with us on another reservation on a cheaper rate (I complained and got a good upgrade).

1. Hilton Atlanta. Wife gets a "to go" bag for breakfast when not on the exec floor (they don't give exec lounge access unless on the exec floors here). I receive lounge access plus two hot full buffet breakfast every morning.

2. Bentely Miami. Stayed there last weekend with another couple who are gold. Both of us got upgrades. They received cont. breakfast buffet with upcharge to full buffet, wife and I received full breakfast buffet. We also received a bottle of wine in the room on arrival, free chairs and umbrellas at the beach and they recieved no wine and had to pay for their chairs and umbrella.

3. Trafalgar Hilton. Wife received cont. buffet (still good spread of food) and when I was there as a diamond received that plus was told I could order whatever I wanted off the menu for breakfast.

4. Doubletree suites, Orlando. Golds receive cont. buffet and pay $6 for full buffet, diamonds receive full buffet.

5. Doubletree New Orleans by Harrahs, Diamonds receive full buffet, gold is cont. only.

6. Washington Hilton, no problem with 4 p.m. checkout as diamond. Golds receive a 2 p.m. latest checkout.

7. Windsor, Ontario Hilton. Golds receive a coupon to be applied towards menu items at breakfast or buffet (IIRC it is $10 or $12) and anything over the coupon amount has to be paid for. Diamonds receive the full breakfast buffet and drink plus two beer/wine chits for the evening.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Perhaps we should start a thread about what properties treat their diamonds right? Many treat us the same as golds, but some do treat us better. My wife is Gold, and she stays at many of the same properties I do when on the road for business. Some treat diamonds worse The Palmer House in Chicago two weeks ago was going to give a better upgrade to two golds travelling with us on another reservation on a cheaper rate (I complained and got a good upgrade).

1. Hilton Atlanta. Wife gets a "to go" bag for breakfast when not on the exec floor (they don't give exec lounge access unless on the exec floors here). I receive lounge access plus two hot full buffet breakfast every morning.

2. Bentely Miami. Stayed there last weekend with another couple who are gold. Both of us got upgrades. They received cont. breakfast buffet with upcharge to full buffet, wife and I received full breakfast buffet. We also received a bottle of wine in the room on arrival, free chairs and umbrellas at the beach and they recieved no wine and had to pay for their chairs and umbrella.

3. Trafalgar Hilton. Wife received cont. buffet (still good spread of food) and when I was there as a diamond received that plus was told I could order whatever I wanted off the menu for breakfast.

4. Doubletree suites, Orlando. Golds receive cont. buffet and pay $6 for full buffet, diamonds receive full buffet.

5. Doubletree New Orleans by Harrahs, Diamonds receive full buffet, gold is cont. only.

6. Washington Hilton, no problem with 4 p.m. checkout as diamond. Golds receive a 2 p.m. latest checkout.

7. Windsor, Ontario Hilton. Golds receive a coupon to be applied towards menu items at breakfast or buffet (IIRC it is $10 or $12) and anything over the coupon amount has to be paid for. Diamonds receive the full breakfast buffet and drink plus two beer/wine chits for the evening.
Good Lord! Is that all you get for being Diamond?? I don't even eat breakfast most of the time, and if an enhanced breakfast is all you normally get as a Diamond, it's absolutely insane to strive for Diamond status when Gold has nearly identical benefits. And now you can get Gold automatically just by paying the annual fee for a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card! Plus you get a free night after spending $10K in a year. Diamond gets you NO comp nights...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DCBob
Good Lord! Is that all you get for being Diamond?? I don't even eat breakfast most of the time, and if an enhanced breakfast is all you normally get as a Diamond, it's absolutely insane to strive for Diamond status when Gold has nearly identical benefits. And now you can get Gold automatically just by paying the annual fee for a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card! Plus you get a free night after spending $10K in a year. Diamond gets you NO comp nights...
I like some of the "unpublished benefits". There have been two times in the past year where I had flight go into Irops (one MX and one WX) well past the cancel deadline. The one time was a business trip and the person I was flying with was SOL and got stuck paying for the room since it was 9 p.m. when the flight cancelled and there was a 48 hour cancel deadline. I called the diamond desk and they got it handled both times even though it was well past the cancel deadline. Work trip would have been expensed anyway but the NYC trip was a personal trip and that saved me over $200. Nice little perk.

A lot of properties will still do diamond force on rewards stays as well which is great. I am staying at the Bentley in Miami with my two citi certificates when room rates are $1,500 a night plus tax. No rooms are available for use with the certificates but a call to the diamond desk handled that for me.

And in 2010, they had the qf3n promo that was only for diamond members. I had a lot of hilton stays that quarter and got four free nights out of that, I wouldn't have received as gold.

Seeing that gold is now practically being given away, I can see Hilton making some changes to the program to treat diamonds better. Either that or they will diminish gold benefits. There are already reports from golds whining that hotels aren't giving them lounge access anymore unless they are on the exec level. I know for some guests it isn't a big deal, but for a business traveller it is nice.

In Europe is were you really see the added benefits. Most of the lounges have full breakfasts and free alcohol.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Seeing that gold is now practically being given away, I can see Hilton making some changes to the program to treat diamonds better. Either that or they will diminish gold benefits.
I would love to see the former happen, but I think the latter is going to be more likely to occur. My wife is already seeing it as a gold. As you mentioned more hotels are enforcing the lounge policy for allowing golds access. She has also stayed at a couple properties that used to give her exec level rooms even when she was booked on a cheap corporate rate, and now they will only upgrade her one room level, IF she gets upgraded.

Hilton needs to make another level inbetween gold and diamond and eliminate the upgrades for the current gold level.

It isn't just Hilton that is sellng their higher tier membership with no actual stays either.

Best Western you simply fax over your Hilton diamond card and they match it (although the benefits aren't that great).

My sister is PM (second highest level on Delta) by flying only 3 trips this year thanks to American express. I will be Diamond on Delta flying only 55K miles this year thanks to their Am Ex program, being able to buy miles and rollover miles.

Last edited by ILovetheReds; Nov 15, 2012 at 7:33 am
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I would love to see the former happen, but I think the latter is going to be more likely to occur. My wife is already seeing it as a gold. As you mentioned more hotels are enforcing the lounge policy for allowing golds access. She has also stayed at a couple properties that used to give her exec level rooms even when she was booked on a cheap corporate rate, and now they will only upgrade her one room level, IF she gets upgraded.

Hilton needs to make another level inbetween gold and diamond and eliminate the upgrades for the current gold level.

It isn't just Hilton that is sellng their higher tier membership with no actual stays either.

Best Western you simply fax over your Hilton diamond card and they match it (although the benefits aren't that great).

My sister is PM (second highest level on Delta) by flying only 3 trips this year thanks to American express. I will be Diamond on Delta flying only 55K miles this year thanks to their Am Ex program, being able to buy miles and rollover miles.
I think every loyalty program allows you to buy at least some "status" with a credit now, at least in the US.

Some programs are just more "expensive" to buy into than other.

Hilton allows you to buy into their highest status for a mere $90 a year plus $40K in spend.

I am going to either get the Am Ex Delta reserve or buy the MQM's to reach Diamond on Delta this year. Unfortunately it is going to cost me $400 to $600 but will be worth it to me seeing all the PM's that fly out of Detroit and this will be a cheap way of trumping them on almost every upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.