Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Completely disagree.
Disagree in respect to what?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I dropped from Diamond to Gold this year. Nothing has really changed for me on how I'm treated. I still get lounge access for the most part. The only difference I can comment on is that outside of the U.S. (basically Europe) if there is no lounge, Diamonds will get comped breakfast, Golds will not. Of course you can set you MyWay options to circumvent that. So for me, it's not worth the extra effort and spend.
What do you mean by MyWay options to circumvent?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by mnredfox
What do you mean by MyWay options to circumvent?
I think he means that he believes Diamonds will still get complimentary breakfast if they have their MyWay option set to 1,000 bonus points.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver M&M Silver HH Gold AF Ivory
I was gold then diamond and now gold again and I did not feel any difference.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by piercate
I was gold then diamond and now gold again and I did not feel any difference.
Because there isn't much anymore, only guaranteed EL access and some bonus pts.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Now that with so many new gold members through visa infinite program, diamond will be worth it, if each property strictly follows upgrade procedures by HHonors tiers.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Diamond good for international

I achieved Diamond status quickly this year thru AmEx promo and have discovered significant benefits such as upgrades are generally, as already pointed out, when Travelling internationally. My expectation pretty low for US travel unless using their premium brands.

I have also noted how aggressively Hilton trying to qualify people at Gold level which suggests to me a slow devaluation of program as number of participants increases.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I was a Diamond for 4 years running (benefiting from the rolling method), and dropped to Gold this year (2011) and just re-qualified for Diamond for 2012 today with my 28th stay last night ^

I would say that if your stays are primarily in the US, then the difference between Gold and Diamond is hard to discern, with a few exceptions. But if you travel a lot in Europe, South America, and Asia, being Diamond provides you with significant benefits, with lounge access being the most important one.

It was hard, but I re-qualified for Diamond with HHONORS and for Platinum with Starwood, but alas, could not be Diamond in 2012 with Hyatt.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Dia is worth it

I put $125,000+ a month on my Surpass card so I get Dia status. I have always been upgraded although I probably spend less time than most in hotels. About five - ten stays a year is all for me. Yes, it is different then 10-15 years ago. I remember checking into the Reno Hilton around 1997 and the front desk clerks had never seen a diamond card. They upgraded me to suite covering half a floor!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by gordondd9
I achieved Diamond status quickly this year thru AmEx promo and have discovered significant benefits such as upgrades are generally, as already pointed out, when Travelling internationally. My expectation pretty low for US travel unless using their premium brands.

I have also noted how aggressively Hilton trying to qualify people at Gold level which suggests to me a slow devaluation of program as number of participants increases.
Except HH doesn't differentiate Diamond and Gold too much.

Originally Posted by pinguy
I put $125,000+ a month on my Surpass card so I get Dia status. I have always been upgraded although I probably spend less time than most in hotels. About five - ten stays a year is all for me. Yes, it is different then 10-15 years ago. I remember checking into the Reno Hilton around 1997 and the front desk clerks had never seen a diamond card. They upgraded me to suite covering half a floor!
$125K/mo? For business I assume? Wow, you'd do well charging other cards too instead of all on HH Surpass.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD; Hertz #1; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I really didn't see much useful in those past threads. Maybe that means that there is no meaningful distinction. In theory it appears:

(1) 48-hour Diamond force at some exhorbitant rate (for me maybe useful once a year - like when I guess I got sent last minute to Houston on Final Four weekend - but even then Hyatt found space for me)

(2) Free lounge access assuming that you don't get upgraded to exec level room as Gold

(3) 25% more bonus points.

(4) Special treatment at Maldives for those who have time and inclination to fly halfway around the world (from SFO anyway).

(5) Release of award inventory (not explained in any of foregoing). And one wonders how that will be affected by the new "premium room" awards that are provided at ripoff levels.

That's not a lot. Contrast with SPG where Plats appear to have a very high batting rate on upgrades, and similarly for Hyatt.

Am I missing something?

Really what would be more useful would be to hear from someone who has been both Gold and Diamond as to the frequency and nature of upgrades at full service Hiltons. That's something that would be worth shooting for.
I've considered trying SPG and Hyatt, but they seem to have fewer properties in smaller cities. SPG looks nice.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sapguy
I was a Diamond for 4 years running (benefiting from the rolling method), and dropped to Gold this year (2011) and just re-qualified for Diamond for 2012 today with my 28th stay last night ^

I would say that if your stays are primarily in the US, then the difference between Gold and Diamond is hard to discern, with a few exceptions. But if you travel a lot in Europe, South America, and Asia, being Diamond provides you with significant benefits, with lounge access being the most important one.

It was hard, but I re-qualified for Diamond with HHONORS and for Platinum with Starwood, but alas, could not be Diamond in 2012 with Hyatt.

Also in Europe is not much difference. I think I wont do diamond next year because it is not worth it
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I have been diamond for several years now. Was briefly gold when they switched from the rolling periods to annual and was downgraded for about 3 months before I requalified. I didn't notice much change.

For what it's worth, IMO the bggest difference comes overseas. I nearly always get upgraded to executive floor - and occasionally to a suite - in Asia. In Europe I get treated very well. In the USA, if I stay in Hilton, I usually get put on executive floor and have lounge access (if they have one and if it is open!), but that is no big deal. Overseas is where it really makes an impact. I have a trip coming up to the Conrad Bali and have already been contacted by the GM (4 months out).

In summary, in the USA - nice to have but no big deal; overseas - definitely a big plus being diamond.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsteverson
In summary, in the USA - nice to have but no big deal; overseas - definitely a big plus being diamond.
A concisely worded and correct answer to this oft asked question.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL/CCR,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Starwood Titanium, Delta Gold, United
Smile

This debate about Gold vs Diamond has been running for years - especially those of us on the Hilton Family Community Communispace (remember that!)

I pointed out that many of us place different values on 'freebies' - for example, a free breakfast isn't a big deal to me if my company pays the bill... But, a movie / minibar snack might be if the company doesn't pick up those tabs... Other similar things that might not be recharged include dry cleaning / laundry. I know some hotels do a pressing service, but, might be interesting to allow Diamonds a shirt a night to be laundered etc for free...?

Also, for those of us on company travel, if we are booked into standard rooms it's nice to have a big upgrade (not just a refreshed room pretending to be 'deluxe / superior' etc. So, Diamond should (in my opinion) be upgrade to best available room - including suites. And, gold should be next level up from your booking. That's fair to both Gold and Diamonds I think.

I think we all agree the variability is amazing and this is between world regions, and, hotels. So, at one hotel i get a letter from the manager but at another I don't even get a water without asking for it... The standardization needs to be improved.

Also, if I check in at 10pm I shouldn't be told the hotel was busy (San Antonion Hilton you know who you are!!) and they've run out of upgrades... :-)

All goes to show that for Diamond to be enhanced in my opinion they need to offer more benefits that aren't simply executive floor access.

Free internet was a great start, but, that's for Gold and Diamond.

As I said years ago they need to differentiate the Diamond and Gold. I've been both and there's hardly any difference.

Few examples of possible changes that I'd be interested in seeing / debating:

Diamond - confirmed upgrade at time of booking (not waiting until day of arrival); Gold - day of arrival upgrade
Or, Diamond - best room upgade including suite; Gold next level up.
Diamond - Certain for an upgrade as long as you book a certain period in advance (e.g more than 48 hours)
Diamond - free full American Breakfast in hotel restaurant / Gold free Continental Breakfast
Diamond - Award redemption - at normal rates so long as hotel has a room to sell; Gold - as it is now
Diamond - Lower levels of retention for next year so long as you have achieved Diamond level. Eg if you are Diamond this year, regain it next year for 22 stays and not 28 etc...
Diamond - For Hamptons / Garden Inns - perhaps a free pizza or something more than water and snack?

Just some ideas. I know - dream on...

Last edited by Airways45; Dec 31, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.