Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Old Jun 7, 2002, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I've only been Diamond for a week now, so I can't tell you whether it's better than Gold as far as the hotel experience goes. But I've had two occasions to call the Diamond Desk in the past week, and both times the treatment and help far exceeded what I normally would have expected at 1-800-HHONORS. If the Diamond Desk is consistently this helpful, then it's going to be a worthwhile benefit, at least for me.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 5:43 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
To speak with an identifiable and exceedingly competent human being to boot-Lee and Yvonne at the Diamond Desk...is woth the price of Diamond admission.

I wish UA would emulate such an effective and straightforward and ACCOUNTABLE communication link with its top tier members.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beaubo:
To speak with an identifiable and exceedingly competent human being to boot-Lee and Yvonne at the Diamond Desk...is woth the price of Diamond admission.

I wish UA would emulate such an effective and straightforward and ACCOUNTABLE communication link with its top tier members.
</font>
I wonder if Lee and Yvonne will be able to handle the volume with all the new diamonds entering HHonors?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004356.html

[This message has been edited by chix (edited 06-07-2002).]
Old Jun 7, 2002, 7:22 pm

I wonder too.

Yvonne in particular has been extraordinarily professional and helpful to me.

Maybe there should be a flag for "real" diamonds and diamond lites.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 9:29 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000628.html
Old Jun 7, 2002, 10:27 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Greetings Doc and all ,
When will I ever have as many posts as you!I'm jealous (grin)Probably not even if I make it till 90

Review of Hilton Diamond and properties
What Hilton still lacks in Trendy/Contemporary properties
(picking up as in Auckland) they make up
in traditional dependability and a solid value in many markets.
Free breakfasts,lounge access where available and complimentary 800 calls.
Hilton knows its customers want great value and they deliver more often then not.
In my opinion they have the best mid tier level(gold) in the business.
Upgrades vary widely and lack consistency of any program I have ever been in.
This will of course vary member to member depending on the properties one chooses in given markets.
Gold or Diamond.
Some properties being downright insulting.Rare but it has happened
Reading about the cooperating properties here on Flyer Talk really helps in thinning out the losers in guest satisfaction.
My graditude to all of you that help me get outstanding satisfaction in many markets
from your trip reports.
Certain properties really do excel. Making yourself known and being a regular along with your elite status really helps as it would in any quality property with the proper management team onboard.
Diamond lacks punch and overall consistency for the stay requirements involved. The program
is missing a well thought out and creative ammenity program.
Only the Conrads and some Int properties seem to have some form of established welcome ammenity.Hotels that do not participate in program benefits like lounge access or free breakfast should clarify their posistion in a yearly published list,at the website and on the reservation line to avoid member dissatisfaction.
This is rare for myself but I have heard of more then a few cases regarding failure to deliver benefits in key markets.New York and Paris to name a few
The pluses with Diamond include a vastly improved group of customer service professionals at the Diamond Desk amongst the best in the industry.Some are long timers with Hilton and they really have their acts nailed down.Yet a few weak players can also be found on the Diamond desk as well.
Never have I seen so many answers to the same question in my lifetime from the regular HH line.
Usually this problem will happen for myself when The Diamond Desk is closed.
Diamond award availability is amongst the finast and best reason to reach Diamond.Even surpassing Starwood in many respects.
The program flexability and reward options remains legendary and goes under utilized by many a member.It is a real gem
in a world of program wanna bes proclaiming something so called special every other day of the week.
The improvement since May of 2000 is inspiring.
However Hilton still has some past sins to erase.First up household accounts
They should take a clue from Starwood and British Airways whom have first class rulesflexability and requirements.The HH program still has some highly discriminatory practices.That must change.As it is unacceptable.
Hilton is destined for a great future and it has some
mighty fine leadership at its helm.
Its vast collection of hotels are exceptional
with a wide choice to choose from.
Hilton properties very offen have excellent weekend rates and even very fair weekday rates in many markets.Unlike a lot of the competition who gouges to no end.
Double Tree and Embassy need to meet higher standards in each and every market.From rennovations to a much better understanding of the program in house with special improved ammenity floors for elite members.
All in all Hilton gets my vote for the most improved camper award.They also are to be commended for their first class communication and response after 9-11 to its members
Hope this personal view point has been helpful .
Please fire away with any questions

------------------
AA & Starwood Platinum
Diamond Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
U/A 1 K
Marriott Platinum,Swissotel Club Gold
Radisson Elite

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 06-07-2002).]
Old Jun 8, 2002, 6:24 am

To me the only real benefit that I feel I get from being Hilton Diamond is the ability to book award stays at properties when all allocated award bookings are already made and the 50% bonus.

I went to Savannah, GA with my girlfriend in April and the hotel (Hilton DeSoto) was not completely booked but had rooms left at the rack rate of $245 two weeks out. All award stays were gone since a long time ago. No problem. The diamond desk got me a room anyway and I was upgraded to the top floor. Very nice stay and I would not have been able to stay in downtown unless I had been diamond (it would have cost me $800 for the weekend which was out of the question)

Sven
Old Jun 8, 2002, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777 global mile hound:

Certain properties really do excel. Making yourself known and being a regular along with your elite status really helps as it would in any quality property with the proper management team onboard.
</font>
Meaningful recognition of regular customers is one of the most important components of customer satisfaction, IMHO. Properties that have figured this out will continue to earn additional business, whereas others that fail to do so will not. This concept is especially important in uncertain economic times.

In my pre-HiltonHhonors days, I stayed at the Embassy Suites Parsippany for numerous nights over a span of many years. Once Embassy Suites was assimilated into HiltonHhonors and I achieved Diamond status, I tended to stay in properties with accessible club lounges instead. After a fairly long hiatus, I just enjoyed a stay at the ES a few days ago. Everyone knew me there and rewarded my return with the Presidential Suite. It was sufficiently large that I briefly contemplated subletting some of the extra beds and space.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Diamond lacks punch and overall consistency for the stay requirements involved. The program is missing a well thought out and creative ammenity program.
</font>
This may be in the process of changing, at least at some properties. When I checked into my room at the Parsippany Hilton last Sunday, I was surprised to discover a little gift basket containing an assortment of dried fruit, nuts and candies. According to the Denise the friendly concierge who staffs the club lounge in the evening, this hotel now rewards certain guests with a choice from one of several gifts.

I am in the process of determining whether the amenity is offered to diamond members in general or is available to guests who have stayed there frequently. The sticker affixed to the gift basket said "Hilton" rather than "Parsippany Hilton" but I am not sure whether or not this new amenity program has been conceived by this specific property or is intended for broader dissemination.
Old Jun 8, 2002, 12:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777 global mile hound:
Hilton still has some past sins to erase. First up household accounts They should take a clue from Starwood</font>
I'm afraid you are confused, as Starwood does not have household accounts at all!

I most certainly hope that Hilton will not take a clue from Starwood on this particular issue.
Old Jun 8, 2002, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000628.html
</font>
Well Doc, as of the 12/01 post in the mentioned thread, I see that you were still Gold. Anything to make you go for Diamond?

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bonzaiflyer:
Well Doc, as of the 12/01 post in the mentioned thread, I see that you were still Gold. Anything to make you go for Diamond?
</font>
I think Doc's too busy posting all those news excerpts and monitoring all the FlyerTalk boards to be able to have enough free time to do any traveling... :-)
Old Jun 11, 2002, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
I'm afraid you are confused, as Starwood does not have household accounts at all!
</font>
Starwood does allow people who live in the same address to combine Starpoints into one single account with the consent of the transferring member.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 6:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thank you Guava for being so kind to back me up while away with your fully correct and accurate information.
Hopefully helpful for all others including our fellow Flyer Talker who might not make use of this valuable feature or be aware with regard to the full household account benefits at both Starwood and Hilton
This is a sensational feature of Starwoods program that I would truely like to see Hilton emulate more fully.
Hilton needs to relax that definition of what a loving couple is... married or not.
There also used to be a feature for elites at check in where married couples would not be charged for 2 in a room but those in a relationship or about to be engaged would pay extra in some markets.How silly is/ was that?

It had upset many a member and embarassed more then a few res agents. It is my belief saying that a married couple is still more important to their client/guest living in the same household then an unmarried couple sends the wrong message in todays market place.Or yesterdays for that matter.So as it stands married ok to share accounts unmarried no good sorry........Lets see proof first............
Hilton struggled for some time to decide and include most rates to qualify for its double dipping.The increase in business can be partly attributed to the improvements no doubt.I think I speak not just for myself but for all of us when I say we all appreciate being able to earn at most any published rates out there. Now it is time to fix these other equally important issues for once and for all.
Bravo to Hilton still for the steady improvements over these last few years.
I really enjoy staying with Hilton more then I would have imagined.
And hopefully they will remain on their toes and keep those promos coming !!!
Happy Travels and smiles all
Old Jun 11, 2002, 6:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guava:
Starwood does allow people who live in the same address to combine Starpoints into one single account with the consent of the transferring member.</font>
Not quite a "household account" though! Starwood allows transfer of points from one member's account to the other's (provided that both share the same mailing address), but, unlike Hilton's Mutual Fund account, Starwood does not provide for true joint account where all stays/nights by both members are combined for the purposes of status qualification, etc.

&lt;Edited for a typo&gt;

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 06-11-2002).]
Old Jun 12, 2002, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eugene:
Not quite a "household account" though! Starwood allows transfer of points from one member's account to the other's (provided that both share the same mailing address), but, unlike Hilton's Mutual Fund account, Starwood does not provide for true joint account where all stays/nights by both members are combined for the purposes of status qualification, etc.
</font>
Well, Eugene, always like to have the last word, don't you! I think we should sit down for a beer and arrange a debate between you and me!

On the other hand, one can also argue HHonors doesn't offer a true household account because the polling of HH points only apply between a husband and wife - a very outdated definition of household by many definitions. A household can include more than just husband and wife, what about their children who can also be earning points as well? One can also argue Starwood offers a true household account because it considers anyone living under the same address as a 'household'. Yes, this definition is so broad that, hey Eugene, you and I can be technically considered a household by Starwood you know . Of course, that's somewhat broad but is nonetheless the textbook definition of a household: people living under the same roof, doesn't imply that they are related in any other way than sharing a same residence.

In this sense, Starwood's household account is trully a household account whereas Hilton's, is at best, a polling of account for heterosexual married couple (unless of course, HH doesn't do business in the Netherlands, in which case the definition of marriage also applies to homosexual couples).

Now regarding the question of this topic, I found nothing attractive about HH Diamond status other than being able to get award when the normal availability is out but this can usually be done by calling the hotel direct. So that benefit is not much either. To me HH Gold is largely sufficient.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.