Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Possible Security Issues with the Wifi at the Hampton Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold

I'm noticing that I'm getting a lot of requests for sites that use a secure connection come back with invalid certificates. When I investigated it looks like the wifi is trying to replace the certificate. I'm not sure what's going on here, however this is a huge amount of concern for anyone trying to use the wifi for any personal or business communications. (I.e. bank, general web surfing, email, flyertalk, etc)

I'm im the Laurinburg, NC location, so I can't speak for the other locations.

Image of the browser notice:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR23_ddVoAEFNrg.jpg
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:38 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Have you actually signed in yet or did your 24 hours expire so you must sign in again? The wayport stuff is the gateway where you have to sign in to your hhonors account, enter room number and name, etc. Try visiting a non- HTTPS site (e.g. chicken.com) and see if you get redirected to the sign in gateway.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

This is well within the 24 hr window and after signing on.With the non-secure sites, there is no issue with navigating to those pages.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
In today’s day and age, why on Earth would anyone use WiFi at a hotel or any public venue (coffee shops, etc.) to access bank accounts, credit card accounts, or any other sensitive information. I’m not excusing poor WiFi security, but at the same time, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I personally NEVER access these accounts with public WiFi. I’ve known colleagues who have experienced banking and email hacking issues after using hotel WiFi (particularly at one non Hilton, independent hotel in Nashville). My suggestion is to treat all hotel/public WiFi as potentially compromised. To that end, I really only check the weather, news, hobby websites, etc. when using public WiFi. I don’t even log into my hotel or airline loyalty programs using public WiFi anymore!
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
In today’s day and age, why on Earth would anyone use WiFi at a hotel or any public venue (coffee shops, etc.) to access bank accounts, credit card accounts, or any other sensitive information. I’m not excusing poor WiFi security, but at the same time, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I personally NEVER access these accounts with public WiFi. I’ve known colleagues who have experienced banking and email hacking issues after using hotel WiFi (particularly at one non Hilton, independent hotel in Nashville). My suggestion is to treat all hotel/public WiFi as potentially compromised. To that end, I really only check the weather, news, hobby websites, etc. when using public WiFi. I don’t even log into my hotel or airline loyalty programs using public WiFi anymore!
Paranoid much? If I didn't use a hotel WiFi with sensitive information, I would never get anything done. I know, I am a big risk guy....give up my credit card at restaurants too.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Paranoid much? If I didn't use a hotel WiFi with sensitive information, I would never get anything done. I know, I am a big risk guy....give up my credit card at restaurants too.
Agree completely.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Note the last part of the message where it says :

This certificate is only valid for nmd.hil-lrnbghx.atl.wayport.net

wayport.net is the correct domain for the AT&T wifi portal system, so this is most likely just a case of the wifi portal being broken/confused and attempting to intercept your connections when it shouldn't be.

Other than trying to trigger send you to the login page so that you can login again there's probably not a lot you can do about it. You could try going to the address above but I'm not sure if that would trigger the login page or not...
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:15 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Not paranoid. Common sense. If there's something I truly need to be secure, I use my data, not the free wifi at a hotel.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Looks like your device was disconnected from Wi-Fi connection and whatever reason Wi-Fi did not recognize your device. It is not common but it happens (nothing unique to Hilton Wi-Fi), do not think it was a security issue.

These days hackers are more sophisticated and scale is a lot larger than used to be. When tapping into somebody’s Wi-Fi connection a hacker can only get an information of only one user. Today many hackers try to break into main frame database of large corporations, such as what happened to Yahoo! and Equifax, and get information of million users at once. If you have a credit card, mortgage, work for a company, etc. then most likely your sensitive information is already out there in some large corporation’s database. Trying to not use public Wi-Fi may not have any added advantage as long as your personal data security is concerned.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Not paranoid. Common sense. If there's something I truly need to be secure, I use my data, not the free wifi at a hotel.
Because your mobile data service is completely secure and free from spoofing...

Do: Diligently monitor your accounts and credit. Don't: be overly paranoid.

Back on topic: Agree with those posters saying this is likely an issue with the communication to the AT&T gateway. I've had plenty of Hampton and HGI stays where it regularly kicks me off irrespective of the 24 hour cycle.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
Because your mobile data service is completely secure and free from spoofing...

Do: Diligently monitor your accounts and credit. Don't: be overly paranoid.

Back on topic: Agree with those posters saying this is likely an issue with the communication to the AT&T gateway. I've had plenty of Hampton and HGI stays where it regularly kicks me off irrespective of the 24 hour cycle.
I didn't have these issues when I ran a proxy via ssh to my home box. However, I couldn't maintain that proxy because the wifi was way too unreliable. (Looks minor when you're browsing, but major when you're trying to sustain a connection) From my point of view it's either broken network gear, or spying on secure traffic. I didn't get reprompted for the captive login when this was happening.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by monksy
I didn't have these issues when I ran a proxy via ssh to my home box.
You still had to login thought, right? Did you use your Honors credentials to do that? Are you sure that was legit?

https://blog.docbert.org/spoofing-public-wifi-networks/ is worth a read... (In this case it was only done when there was no wifi, but it's equally easy to do when there is real wifi)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
You still had to login thought, right? Did you use your Honors credentials to do that? Are you sure that was legit?

https://blog.docbert.org/spoofing-public-wifi-networks/ is worth a read... (In this case it was only done when there was no wifi, but it's equally easy to do when there is real wifi)
Yep, I had to log in with the last name and room number. After that all traffic "goes through" (except when there was a https connection.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
Because after the connection and authentication or whatever, you turn on the VPN.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Because after the connection and authentication or whatever, you turn on the VPN.
Common sense, really.

VPN is a must these days. I even use my VPN when connecting to my own wifi at my home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.