Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton London Paddington {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton London Paddington {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2002, 8:37 pm
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
Canista, did you get an invite and, if so, can you bring a guest?

DOC 2 BE, might you be referring to some gems like this one:

He also asked a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?"</font>
There are more!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/1848553.stm
Blair, that's the ticket!

Old Mar 22, 2002, 9:12 am

Well, I have checked in and at the risk of sounding moany and hard to please, I must say I was somewhat underwhelmed. Yes, the whole thing is sparkly and new, and I even forgive the check-in staff for not knowing anything about their rooms and the executive lounge. But the executive rooms are not all that impressive. I booked a king executive one and it feels very, er, compact. It does have a nicely sized desk in a separate alcove, but the rest of the room is smaller than any of the standard rooms I have come accross in Hiltons so far. Also, I had to fight for my right to get access to the lounge (despite clearly having an executive room - unless there was something fishy about that room the staff weren't telling me!). There was absolutely no information about the hotel's facilities in the room and the TV information service was out of order.
I don't think I will be returning there in a hurry.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 9:21 am

That’s pretty disappointing.

You should write to HH or the hotel directly – they seem to have some serious issues to sort out.

Based on what you say about access to the lounge, it sounds like you didn’t really get an exec room? Could there be a business floor AND exec floor?

[This message has been edited by Canista (edited 03-22-2002).]
Old Mar 26, 2002, 6:21 am

I have sent my comments to Hilton and eagerly await a reply. It seems that most of my problems boil down to the staff not yet knowing their hotel very well at all and to dramatic understaffing ("We're not really open yet so we don't have all the service in place" Well they should have given me a dramatically reduces room rate then, if they're not providing everything!). On a more comic note: I ordered room service, and when it came to removing the table it took half an hour between two staff members (who, when not cursing the table under their breath were busy reassuring me that they did not really work in room service but were only doing this due to staff shortage and that this was a new model of table) to figure out how to fold the table back down so it would fit through the door. I wish I had had my camera with me
Old Apr 4, 2002, 8:12 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
QuantumLady and I stayed there one night last weekend since it put us just a step away from the express train to LHR. I'm not exactly sure about upgrade We were on a breakfast provided rate anyway (although we left before the restaurant opened.) The room was certainly nice enough. We didn't find it small. The decor was nice and reminded me of the Millenium Hilton. We had a bottled water and fresh fruit amenity with nice chocolate and raspberry dipping sauces.

We spent the day in the south of England at a wedding and so checked in rather late in the evening. We thus decided to dine at the hotel restaurant. That was a strange experience.

I will admit to having American sensibilities in some of my tastes and I decided to have &lt;gasp&gt; a cocktail with dinner rather than wine. When I ordered scotch and soda the waiter looked at me as if I had said I like a glass of mare's sweat (points for reference.) The waiter (who was French, according to his nationality badge) did finally admit to knowing what both scotch and soda were, but could not be pressed to admit knowledge of the two in combination as a libation. I did not feel agumentative and so settled on a Merlot.

I knew I was in for a bit more Gallic whimsy when he brought me out a glass of something pale and golden rather than purplish and opaque. After not convincing him there were no white Merlot wines I gave up again (we really were tired.) He reappeared in five minutes or so with another glass with the appropriately coloured beverage and apologized for the mistake.

After this I got to hear an argument at an ajoining table where the same waiter had (w/o checking) substituted a more expensive wine for what they had ordered (claiming the restaurant had run out) and expecting them to pay for it. This took summoning the manager to sort out.

It was expensive as well.

All in all, a mixed experience.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 2:03 am

Just to follow up on my problems with that particular hotel, I emailed my comments and heard nothing back since. Also, my stay has now failed to post. Decidedly this hotel doesn't like me
Old Apr 10, 2002, 5:42 pm

When we were there around march 18th the hotel was great, but we were told that Executive Club in their lower floor will not be fully running for about 30 days. Same for their work out room.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 10:34 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Stayed at the property for a night last night... in another user's words, "decidedly underwhelmed." It's a hotel that has lots of potential, but I wouldn't stay there for another six months or so.

It tooks three tries up and down to get a key that worked. No bellman anywhere, so getting help into the lobby or later finding a cab was impossible. The staff didn't quite seem to know where things went and how things worked.

Of note, too, is that the Executive Lounge doesn't open until 7am-- a bit inconvenient for those catching early LHR flights out. I'd recommend a 6am opening time.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 6:15 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
Paddington Hilton Review

I just returned from a trip, where I spent 2 nights each on the to and from section of my trip at the new Paddington Hilton.

First of all...it couldn't be more convenient. You walk off the train platform, go into the retail section of the station ( also where some airline checkins are), take the escalator, and walk a short distance, and you're in the hotel. No Taxis, No underground. Just a short walk.

The checkin desk is at the front of the hotel off Praed Street, so you have to go through the lobby to the other side.

Checkin was smooth....my confirmed 105 L sterling nightly rate, also included a continental breakfast. I don't think there's an executive lounge....but I never use them even if there is.

Rooms are nicely designed, with duvets on the bed, nice light shielding curtains, and yes, openable windows.

Bathrooms were nice, granite floors and countertops. Bathtub had adjustable shower head ( height adjustable), but cvertainly not waterfall type waterpressure. The newfangled shower knobs gave no clue how to run the shower...so after a quick call downstairs, had it under control.

The hotel still does not have an information booklet on its services or facilities....but I found the second day they had a trendy bar within called Steam, which is properly minimal in a Whisky Bar mode. The have a small list of tap beers ( including Anchor Steam!), but certainly not a cheap pub.

The dining room seemed adequate, and the breakfast scene was somewhat chaotic, as it is a buffet in the morning, and they don;t have enough wait help. In fact, the Maiter D ( really only it seems he was the actining manager) insisted that one of me breakfast meeting guest pay in advance before being seated. An odd request, but apparently their only way ( at this time), to stop people from the train station from eating and running.

a big plus is that right downstairs from the hotel in the station is a Sainsbury convenience + market...selling sandwiches, cold sodas, beers, and is open til 11pm or midnite. There's also a Dixon's store, a retail record store, and a pub.

Negative......no high speed internet lines, and very expensive hotel phone rates ( not unusual in the UK)....although the Business center has 2 computers that you can use for free that have dialup net connections. I'm told that the hotel will ultimately get them ( the desks in the rooms have port for high speed).

My second stay there, was just as good, and my room was updraded to a minisuit, with a table and chairs.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be back there again.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks for the review. I'm considering an award stay at this hotel, or some other London Hilton.

How was the neighborhood? From my London visit five years ago, I remember it being a bit seedy.

Kathy

Old Apr 22, 2002, 10:52 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I have stayed at the Paddington once. I much prefer the Langham Hilton. The Langham is a more upscale property in a nice and convenient area. No problems at Paddington, just the Langham is more personal and comfortable.
Old Apr 22, 2002, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The Langham costs more points though.

For example, 150,000 vs. 100,000 for a 6-night GLON/P stay.

Taking that into consideration, perhaps the Paddington is a better value/points?

Kathy
Old Apr 23, 2002, 6:11 am
Suspended

Not sure there is much in any award inventory for the Paddington though I tried to get Sept to Oct 15th, no go and had to settle for the Metrople which is a block or so way.
Mike
Old Apr 23, 2002, 6:50 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
The neighborhood around the Paddington is what it was before. Not a place I'd go exploring much. But what it eliminates is another expensive cab ride and shlepping luggage one more time to and from the train station to another hotel.

The tube access to anywhere in London is great from Paddington.

Old Apr 23, 2002, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Not sure there is much in any award inventory for the Paddington though I tried to get Sept to Oct 15th, no go and had to settle for the Metrople which is a block or so way.
Mike
</font>
Are you an elite HHonors member?

Kathy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.