Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Hotels near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Hotels near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2003, 12:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Thanks for the different perspective, Buster...

But who's Senor Hamachi?
Old Feb 12, 2003, 12:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Having stayed at all three properties many times and in various seasons, my choice is always Tapatio. Most of the property has been renovated in the last year. Diamond status always gets breakfast coupons (plus "kids" eat cheap!), and usually upgraded to a "presidential suite": Huge room, fireplace, jacuzzi tub, etc. Tapatio does have a concierge lounge, however, it is usually only open during high season. (I remember when it was up on the hill with it's own pool! - but I date myself...)

Food wise: a mexican place in the main building that is "ok", but doesn't stay open late. The main food place (open for all meals) is good, but for the money, use it for breakfast only. There also is a very high end place, "A Different Pointe of View" with fantastic views of the city - I HIGHLY recommend it!! There is also a bar at the main pool area that serves a good lunch menu. They also do a Friday and Saturday night "party" with food, drinks, and a band at the main pool (lots of fun and locals!!)

If you golf, they have a good course and rates go way down in the afternoon and during the summer. I've paid as little as $25 with a cart!

My kids love this resort and choose it over the others every time! The also run a shuttle to Squaw peak and guests get reciprocal privelidges. SP is nice, but unless you get upgraded into the Casitas, it is no where near as nice as TC.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 4:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Thanks for the different perspective, Buster...
But who's Senor Hamachi? </font>
He's my husband. I had suggested that he register as Mr. Buster, but that didn't really fly with him... He's not nearly as active a poster here as I am.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 4:14 am

I am going to be visiting Scottsdale for 5 nights April 23-28 andx have already decided on the PointeHilton resort but am unsure of the main differance of the squaw peak and the Tapatio.
It will just be myself and my wife, I am HH gold so do not expect any upgrade so I am looking for a reccomendation on which would be better for a "standard room"
Also I am quite tight with the money so I am looking for a good deal.
Any ideas on the best booking engine for these places? (must be able to get points)

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 14, 2003, 11:26 am

Old Feb 14, 2003, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've booked Squaw Peak next week on a TEEN award as a Diamond, I'll post my trip report on our return. My reservation is already upgraded to a 2 bedroom Casitas. Reservation shows a rate of $549.00 per night.

[This message has been edited by Dugernaut (edited 02-14-2003).]
Old Feb 15, 2003, 6:54 am

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dugernaut:
I've booked Squaw Peak next week on a TEEN award as a Diamond, I'll post my trip report on our return. My reservation is already upgraded to a 2 bedroom Casitas. Reservation shows a rate of $549.00 per night.

[This message has been edited by Dugernaut (edited 02-14-2003).]
</font>
How do you know about your upgrade??

Old Feb 15, 2003, 8:50 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CTEASDEL:
It will just be myself and my wife, I am HH gold so do not expect any upgrade so I am looking for a reccomendation on which would be better for a "standard room"</font>
Well, as a Gold last summer I got a Presidential suite after dismissing the first few rooms they assigned me. However apart from the specific problems (smell/noise) the rooms had we were in first, their regular suites (all-suite resort) were very decent.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 16, 2003, 4:03 am

Dirk,

Which hotel did you stay at?
Old Feb 16, 2003, 6:41 am

Pardon, I was talking about the Tapatio Cliffs...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 16, 2003, 7:05 am

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
I stayed at the Squaw Peak last week. As a Diamond was upgraded to a casitas, given two bottles of water, and two breakfast coupons. Nice place and breakfast served at two resturants- one opens at 6 and the other at 7. Covered parking place by casitas back door was nice especially since it was rainy.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:45 am

Thanks Dirk,

Any advise on the best (i.e cheapest) place to book these resorts? Is it going to be Hilton.com?

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CTEASDEL:
Thanks Dirk,

Any advise on the best (i.e cheapest) place to book these resorts? Is it going to be Hilton.com?

Cheers
</font>
I think so, yes. In August I had a 64$ rate there.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 16, 2003, 11:30 am

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
Thanks Dirk,

Cheers
</font>
I booked my stay this June for $71 per on hilton.com.

Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Just back from a TEEN at Squaw Peak as Gold, 2 nights in standard suite, 4 nights in one bed room Casita. The suites were fine, but the extra room in casita in was wonderful. It had a huge downstairs area, living room, dining room, bathroom (toilet and sink only), kitchen area with nearly full size refrigerator and a small microwave. Have to call for dishes and utensils. It would be nie to have them there already. Covered Parking right outside the back door. There is a front door to living room, french doors off dining area and backdoor to parking.

Upstairs bedroom and bath was nice enough but there was a huge sun deck too. Outdoor table and 4 chairs and 2 lounge chairs. Very relaxing. The pool area was fine, we used all pools/slides/lazy river/sports pool/jacuzzi. None were truly outstanding, but the variety was nice for the kids and kept us occupied from noon til 5 or so. Once your kids are past 15 however, I think TC would be a better choice, more adult like as we visited there one day. There are LOTS of kids at Squaw Peak, from infants to travelling soccer teams, all doing what kids do, jumping and yelling and having fun. Tapatio cliffs is much calmer.

You can buy a resort value pass at Squaw Peak for $9 a day that allows unlimited use of mini golf ($5 per person per day otherwise, a bad deal for a poor course, but a pleasant enough way to spend one hour), an hour of tennis per day, free use of gym, 10% of spa and giftshop, and an extra person admittance to the water park (usually $10 a day).

At check-in, we were given 24 coupons worth $7.50 to $8.00 each to be used at breakfast at the the hole in the wall poolside restauarant or Lantana grill. I think I put on 5 pounds eating steak and eggs or huevos rancheros everyday instead of my usual bagel and coffee.

the front desk staff and waitstaff were extremely pleasant but there was a wedding there so we couldn't get into a casita right away, and the snow on the east coast made for some short tempers as people tried to extend their stays.

One thing missing, no executive lounge, but we had stocked up at the local grocery just down 16th Street so it was fine. Or we could have gone to Lantana grill for happy hour monday to Friday from 3-7 when everything (drinks and appetizers) was half price.

If you had to wait for breakfast (even 2 minutes) they waived the cost of the drinks. Service was amazingly fast on the whole in the restaurtants and poolside. We remarked several times on the cheerfulness and accomodation of the staff. We tried to make the best of it and did not demand anything and found little benefits every time.

So here is the tentative plan for next year, two rooms on a TEEN at Squaw Peak and one room at Hilton Sedona with some extended family and run back and forth between them, without actually having to see those extended family members everyday.

[This message has been edited by OB one (edited 02-23-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.