Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Duplicate deleted.

[This message has been edited by jkc22 (edited 07-23-2003).]
Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:23 pm

We actually will be in Bangkok for the first 3 nights of our trip and the last two. To be honest, I already booked the Conrad for the first stint. Looks fantastic from the pics, very modern. But I thought maybe I should try somewhere else for the last part of the trip just for comparison. So i was trying to see where else people reccommend as well, especially in comparison to the Conrad. Looks like I made a good choice for the first part of my stay though, I was hoping someone would say it is great! Maybe I will just end up staying there later as well, its only $99 a night....the Peninsula is about $180!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not try the Bangkok Hilton for the last part of your trip?...especially if you are a diamond.

It has a very beautiful garden and pool area and would be a great place to wind down a trip to Thailand.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by travelinmanS:
Why not try the Bangkok Hilton]</font>
Leaving Hilton.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not until Jan 1...get in while the gettings good!
Old Jul 23, 2003, 6:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

I stayed at the Bangkok Hilton in February, and found it very raggedy compared to the Conrad.

I stayed at the Peninsula twice in December, and enjoyed it very much. It could be a good place to wind down at the end of your trip. It is on the river, and you can have breakfast along side the river. It has boats constantly crossing the river so you are not isolated, and the boats are charming. At night, just take a taxi from the hotel rather than taking the boat across and needing to flag down a taxi. It is much easier, and traffic is down enough at night that you'll pay no more from the hotel than you will across the river.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:30 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
The Conrad is a very good choice.

Of the others on your list, I stayed at the Sukhothai, about 3 or 4 years ago.

The Sukhothai is a great hotel. My only problem with it was location; it's out on Sathorn, and although that is not too far from the Sukhumvit area, it IS a long way with the Bangkok traffic.

The Conrad is close enough to Sukhumvit you can walk and catch the Skytrain (or take the free bus to the Skytrain). Or grab a cab.

The Conrad is on Wireless Road, but most taxi drivers know it as "Wittayu" road. Try to get a taxi card or map for the taxi driver if you are going there straight from the airport.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:
I stayed at the Bangkok Hilton in February, and found it very raggedy compared to the Conrad.
</font>
Did the same in Jan at both, definitely skip the Hilton.

Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
A quick recap of some of my recent stays:

JW Marriott.
Good:
1) Close (though not as close as the Westin and the Sheraton Grande) to SkyTrain (Ploenchit Stn)
2) Cosy/dark lobby furnished in simulated teak with Thai silk hangings-very classy
3) Button on phone accesses "personal concierge"
4) Lobby bathrooms provide individually folded cotton towels! (not disposable paper towels)
5) Staff excellent and extremely discreet. Nobody bothers you when you don't want to be bothered but the moment you need something, they are there.

Blah:
1) Smallish rooms (I am now a lowly Silver)
2) Pool is small and has a 1970-ish dark blue color scheme.

Marriott Resort & Spa
Good:
1) I was a Platinum at the time and was upgraded to a suite in the South Wing. I got a separate dining room, 2 huge sliding windows (in the front of the bed and at the side) and a huge wrap-around balcony. And to-die-for river views.
2) Lots of space (it's a sprawling property) with lots of greenery (tropically lush and unbelievable in BKK) and Thai touches. Reminds one of the Intercontinental in Bali. You can walk around the property at night and let it take your breath away.
3) Best river cruise dinner (Manohra Cruises)

Blah:
1) Location. On the wrong side of the river. You'd have to take a ferry across. Nothing in the vicinity to interest anyone-very local suburban setting.
2) No separate shower/bath. Shower is kind of funny with a a glass screen door that covers only half the bath. I hate wet floors.
3) Staff training a step behind. I had a "Do Not Disturb" request on my door ignored. Probably an isolated incident.

Shangri-la
Good:
1) Reception walks you right to your room after check-in to explain all the features of the room.
2) I got 3 papers a day (AWSJ, USAToday and the local paper)
3) Unlimited free local calls if member of loyalty program.
4) Within walking distance, the locale is very local. It's almost if the Shangri-la were an oasis in the middle of everyday Bangkokian life - great for observing the way the locals live in an urban setting.

Blah:
1) Entry-level rooms have no separate bath/shower

The irony of it is although a HH Diamond, I've not yet had the pleasure of staying at a HH hotel in BKK. Definitely the next trip.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Mind you, there's no other hotel in the low $100 range that offers the same amenities as the Conrad.

The JW can be had for $120 (incl breakfast) is the next best deal. The JW gym is also very excellent -- easily the most extensive hotel gym.

The Pen is a good choice, and definitely one of the best in service. It's however, still a luxury hotel, so not as hip as the Conrad.

The Oriental is an excellent hotel. I would not hesitate to put my grandparents into it. I would recommend eating there, however. Le Normandie is one of the best French restaurants in the same league as the likes of Lucas Carton, Les Ambassadeurs, and Gaddi's. Price is about 1/3 of the aforementioned.

Do not bother eating at the Conrad (other than Exec Lounge fare). Restaurants at the Conrad are hip, fun, and chic, but that's it... service and fare are subpar.

As mentioned before, Celedon at the Sukothai is an excellent place for Sunday brunch (elegant garden setting with reflection ponds).

As for the Hilton, it is not worthy of mention at all. It's been called a "3 star hotel commanding 5 star prices" by the industry insiders.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:14 am

I just returned from a three-night stay at the Conrad. This is my favorite Hilton property thus far--better than the Conrad Singapore and Conrad Hong Kong, mainly because I enjoyed the unique rooms and because everyone was so friendly and helpful. The rain shower was a big hit, too.

Everything from start to finish was wonderful. The services offered by the Executive Lounge were especially nice. Breakfasts, afternoon tea, and evening cocktails were all top-notch. Snacks in the evening included a good selection of sashimi and sushi, plus a half-dozen other tasty choices. Two free internet terminals were also available for use in the lounge.

Other Bangkok/Conrad notes from this trip:

We enjoyed a great Thai dinner at the Baan Khun Luang, which is a 2-minute walk from the hotel.

As others have said, only about 1 in 10 taxi drivers knows where the Conrad is located. Take the taxi cards--even with these many drivers were confused. Hopefully, this situation will improve over time.

The 40-baht herbal massage from the school at Wat Po was a little rough, but fantastic. Probably the best deal in town.

The Narayan Phand mall is highly recommended for Thai gifts. They have just about everything, good AC, and fixed, but good prices.

Late-night shopping at Pat Pong is certainly not for everyone, but I really enjoyed the experience. The quality of the knock-off was generally quite good. Overall, a lot more entertaining than going to the mall!

I can't wait to see more of Thailand.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 2:35 am

Found room service at the Conrad nothing less than excellent, as were the drinks by the pool and the prices are excellent as well! same or less than the Hilton.

With Taxi drivers - say "Plaza Athenee", they know this and it's relatively close (one or two buildings down is the entrance to the conrad).

The Sum Lom night markets are just down the road and worth a trek there one evening alongwith a snack at the outdoor food area, they also have live music on a big stage there at night (avoid the seafood!)

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 07-24-2003).]
Old Jul 24, 2003, 3:37 am

Posting from the Executive lounge at the Conrad right now- the design of the rooms and public spaces is lovely- The Pen is my favorite- we stayed there 3 weeks ago- but I might be a convert- esp at the current prices. And thanks Pudding Guy for the restaurant suggestion.

I do not think you can go wrong with the Conrad
Old Jul 24, 2003, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Gold
I just got back from a 6 night award stay at the Conrad. WOAH BABY. As a gold I was placed on a honors floor - there is a beautiful executive lounge on the 29th floor with a decent breakfast buffet and snacks in the evening (free sushi!).

The rooms are outstanding, service is outstanding, it is perhaps the best Hilton i've ever stayed at. And the rates are very low - perhaps $87US.

In the past I've stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sumkhvit and also the Sheraton Royal Orchid. The Royal Orchid is next to the river and I believe all rooms have river views. There isn't much right outside the hotel except for an impressive but expensive River City antique mall. The rooms are pleasant but unexceptional. It is very easy to hop on a boat - there is a dock right outside the hotel. It is also convenient to all the tourist sites near the river - but there is no skytrain nearby which is a big minus.

The Sheraton Grande Sumkhivit is awesome. I love the breakfast buffet. Normal rooms are fine - very nice but nothing exceptional. I've had the pleasure of the executive suite twice before as a platinum starwood member. Very very impressive and nice. There is also the Asok skytrain right outside the hotel.

The Conrad has a free shuttle bus to get you to the skytrain. I wish there was a skytrain right outside the hotel - that would make it even better. There is an attached mall of expensive shops.

You will not regret staying at the Conrad. Say hi to Julie, the manager of the executive lounge.

p.s. for a decent inexpensive thai massage, try body train. about 550 baht for 2 hour thai massage and 950 baht for 2 hour oil massage
Old Sep 1, 2003, 8:46 am

Location: Kailua, Hawaii. USA - UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Right now writing this email from the Executive Lounge in Conrad Bangkok. Do not miss staying at this great hotel. great staff and great location near Sukhimvit area. Had a reservation for a suite on executive floor but as a Hilton Gold was upgraded to a bigger suite with a outside garden on the 28th floor. Awesome to be that high sitting in a garden and viewing the Bangkok skyline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.