Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton gift card from Amex: for all HH family brands?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton gift card from Amex: for all HH family brands?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought they work the same as any other credit card that you would present and say you would like to use the value toward the total for this day, when people split cards? Sounds more to me that they had never run across them before, and we're afraid of getting stuck by a scam.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:10 pm

I used them to pay for my HGVC maintenance fees. I just used them online as a AMEX credit card and it took all 16 of them.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I thought they work the same as any other credit card that you would present and say you would like to use the value toward the total for this day, when people split cards? Sounds more to me that they had never run across them before, and we're afraid of getting stuck by a scam.
The gift card doesn't have a name on it (just says "card recipient"), it's got an Amex type number sort of (except no "00x" at the end). So it can't work quite the same as any other card, because for starters they can't check the card against your name (since your name isn't on the card).

And the front desk clerk knew me well from many past stays. So I doubt he thought I was trying a scam. (Now, maybe he was trained to reject it because management was afraid of scams in general, that I don't know.)

Now, I was only checking at check-in when there was only that one person at the desk (who has kind enough to comp me parking as a Diamond, so I didn't want to argue). I didn't have time to check with the desk in the morning (when there more people around), I already had my folio (I got under my door overnight), I was running late, and I just dropped my key on the front desk while running to my car.

And that's the problem with having time in the evening but no time in the morning. When people split cards, they usually have to spend a lot of time doing it at checkout, not at check-in. I don't tend to have time for that most mornings.

But each hotel program's gift cards work very differently. Since I've never used Hilton gift cards before, I'm not to those. Marriott, they accept them at check-in and see the value instantly. Best Western, they accept at check-in but has to process it overnight (because it takes them a long time, they have to go a special website or something). WyndhamRewards lets you use them online (even for a non-prepaid reservation). Those are the only programs I can think of where I've used gift cards before this, and as you can see, each one processed very differently, so I wouldn't know (based on just that) how Hilton does it exactly.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I ordered two Hilton Gift Cards but ended up booking a prepaid rate because it was cheaper and included breakfast. (Oh, well, at least they don't expire.) At the time I ordered, the site offered free Standard and free "Expedited" shipping. Each $10 AMEX credit appeared as soon as the charge posted.

I ordered the first one on Monday, February 5. It was shipped a week later (February 12) and arrived four days later (on February 16). It was sent by Certified Mail and required a signature. I was home when the mail carrier arrived but had just stepped into the shower, so being a holiday weekend I had to reschedule delivery for several days later.

I ordered the second on Wednesday, February 7. I got two shipping notices, the first saying that it was shipped on February 20 and the second saying that it was shipped on February 21. I just received it today, February 26.

That totals 11 days for the first one and 19 days for the second. Even with "Expedited" shipping, these Hilton Gift Cards can take almost three weeks to arrive. I'm not sure exactly what they "Expedited," but I recommend that you order long before you need to use them.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Current offer on my Amex PRG & Amex Hilton Ascend for $20 off a $100 giftcard purchase via the link in the offer. Got the $20 back the day after the transaction posted and the card arrived within two days. They did charge $1.95 for shipping with no free shipping option. Offer good until September I believe.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Current offer on my Amex PRG & Amex Hilton Ascend for $20 off a $100 giftcard purchase via the link in the offer. Got the $20 back the day after the transaction posted and the card arrived within two days. They did charge $1.95 for shipping with no free shipping option. Offer good until September I believe.
Did you receive 12 pts per $ on the gift card amount?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I did this purchase on the PRG as it is being canceled next month and wanted to give time for the $20 credit post. It comes up as RBG Hilton Gift Card and Gift Card as the category so I am guessing no 12X on the Hilton card.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: United Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Six Continents Spire, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I did this offer about a month or two back and I did get 12 points on the gift card purchase with Ascend card
ChinaShrek likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

Unable to use gift cards with less than $1 remaining

I had a bunch of $100 Hilton gift cards that I used recently internationally. (It was kind of an ordeal since the front desk employees had rarely, if ever, seen them.)

Anyway, because the rate is paid in the local currency, the employees had to kind of guess what the equivalent of $100 USD was.

This left me with a handful of gift cards with small balances remaining.

I recently stayed at a Hilton here in the U.S. I was looking forward to getting rid of these gift cards with small balances.

The Hilton employees were unable to empty the cards containing less than $1 since the payment system would not allow them to specify an amount less than $1. My understanding from the employees is that they must specify the exact amount to charge, unlike other payment systems that automatically empty gift cards. I was able to empty other gift cards that had over $1 on them.

I called Amex to see if they could consolidate these small balances and issue a new card (or transfer them to an existing card) and was told they cannot.

Has anyone else run into this? It's not a big deal; it's more the principle. California law stipulates that consumers must be able to cash out gift card balances of less than $10, but I don't think Hilton could or would know how to do that. And the Amex agent informed me they were considered reward cards (despite them clearly branded as gift cards).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I haven't run into this, but if it were me, I'd pursue this with Amex. They should be able to consolidate them or cash them out by sending you a check or crediting the account you used to purchase them.

You could also try Hilton corporate to see if they can consolidate them for you (or apply to an upcoming stay).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:13 pm

Had a similar experience in HK. The Front Desk Manager knew of the cards and was very willing to handle the situation. He explained the conversion and how I would have some balance left. I ended up with $1.27 left on the card and wrote it off in my mind.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton Auckland refused to take Hilton Amex gift card. They claim gift cards can only be used for incidentals, not room charge. Be careful where you plan to use it.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Hilton Auckland refused to take Hilton Amex gift card. They claim gift cards can only be used for incidentals, not room charge. Be careful where you plan to use it.
From the gift card FAQ: "OUTSIDE THE US, PUERTO RICO AND US VIRGIN ISLANDS: Gift cards can be used for hotel folio charges upon check-out only. Guests may apply restaurant or other eligible on-property charges to their folio and settle at check-out using a gift card."

I used them in Australia last year, but it was a bit of an ordeal. At the two hotels I used them at, each hotel only had one desk clerk who had ever seen them before and knew how to process them. I was surprised at how rarely they were used; these were large properties in major cities.

I had a bunch of $100 gift cards. The payment was charged in Australian dollars, so the clerk had to try varying amounts to try to deplete each card. I ended up with a handful of cards with remaining balances of less than $1, which I haven't been able to use domestically because the payment system doesn't allow charges of less than $1.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdnativeboy
From the gift card FAQ: "OUTSIDE THE US, PUERTO RICO AND US VIRGIN ISLANDS: Gift cards can be used for hotel folio charges upon check-out only. Guests may apply restaurant or other eligible on-property charges to their folio and settle at check-out using a gift card.".....
This wording implies anything on folio, including room charge, should be eligible for gift card usage. However, that's not how Hilton Auckland reads it. They claim that it is for incidentals only, not room charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.