Wiki Posts
Search

So close, yet so far?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA AA
So close, yet so far?

I’m pretty sure the answer is no but I just realised I’m 9 days short on reaching HH Diamond. I have an upcoming trip scheduled to start which will be total 10+ days but only 5 of those days will be in 2017 and the other 5 will be into January 2018.

As this will be a single stay, will that count towards my Diamond or am I SOL?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
If it posts naturally as a 10 night stay all will count for 2018 activity. You could check out pfysically and stay someplace else for a night to break the stay and force the first 5 nights into 2017. If that is too inconvenient you could try to find a knowledgeable and helpful person at the hotel to mimic the checkout while staying in the same room the whole time. If you have a travel companion the night of Jan 1 could be a 1 night stay in their name. You would need to be open about what you are trying to accomplish and be prepared for failure if it doesn’t all work out.

Last edited by pauleeepaul; Dec 18, 2017 at 3:54 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:48 am
cjd

Originally Posted by zeroecho
I’m pretty sure the answer is no but I just realised I’m 9 days short on reaching HH Diamond. I have an upcoming trip scheduled to start which will be total 10+ days but only 5 of those days will be in 2017 and the other 5 will be into January 2018.

As this will be a single stay, will that count towards my Diamond or am I SOL?
Even if you did manage to split it, the 5 days in 2017 still wouldn't get you the required 9 days to make Diamond.
zeroecho likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
How many stays short are you?

Short of rocking up on the 22nd and extending the stay to 31 December, you might need to think about hotel hopping.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:53 am

Is Diamond really worth it? Might be better to let the 10+ day stay post in 2018, you'll presumably land at Gold anyway, you can then make sure you get back to Diamond in 2018 - which will last right through 2019 as well...
zeroecho likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Is Diamond really worth it? Might be better to let the 10+ day stay post in 2018, you'll presumably land at Gold anyway, you can then make sure you get back to Diamond in 2018 - which will last right through 2019 as well...
I agree. Diamond is not worth the hassle of any of this. Go enjoy your trip and skip worrying about this basically worthless upgrade from Gold to Diamond
tynmar likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA AA
Thanks for the replies. I’m booked for the dates and am planning on enjoying my trip regardless, it was more a question of “do I go and book Hilton hotels and try to hit Diamond since I’m close? “ I won’t bother as there’s cheaper more convenient options in the country I’m going.

My understanding was since I hit gold this year anyway was I’d be back to zero again from gold up to diamond and I’m not sure I’ll hit it again in 2018, hence wondering about going for it in 2017.

I think you’ve confirmed that if I am 9 days short starting 27th December, even if I stay in the same hotel for 10 days i.e. carrying over into 2018, it’ll still count as 2018 posting thus wouldn’t hit Diamond.

The perks of Diamond aren’t worth the extra effort but since I will be close I thought it worth the effort to ask in case I had missed something. Thanks again for your answers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.