Wiki Posts
Search

Vacation Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - GM, Hilton - Diamond, National - EE
Vacation Ideas

Fellow travelers I am imploring your advice and ideas. Sometime before July I have a $1000 Delta Dollar voucher that I need to spend. I plan to take the wife on a vacation and use our Hilton Points. I am currently sitting at about 150k points. I usually get about 12k more per week. Will also have the needed National Days for a car during the trip.

We are looking to potentially visit some areas where we have not visited in the past, New England, Northern California, Montana or maybe Niagra Falls.

Any suggestions and or recommendations.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by SouthernBanker
Fellow travelers I am imploring your advice and ideas. Sometime before July I have a $1000 Delta Dollar voucher that I need to spend. I plan to take the wife on a vacation and use our Hilton Points. I am currently sitting at about 150k points. I usually get about 12k more per week. Will also have the needed National Days for a car during the trip.

We are looking to potentially visit some areas where we have not visited in the past, New England, Northern California, Montana or maybe Niagra Falls.

Depending on where in NorCal, with the recent fires I might defer until the greenery comes back this spring.
SouthernBanker likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:06 am

Do you have a preference within that window of "before July"? February is a lot different from June in New England, Montana, and Niagara Falls.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Maine coast. No spectacular properties in the area, but plenty of Hamptons and HGIs, including in Portland.

Hilton Quebec (City) is a nice property and great location if you are open to "extreme northern New England" .
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Do you have a preference within that window of "before July"? February is a lot different from June in New England, Montana, and Niagara Falls.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Maine coast. No spectacular properties in the area, but plenty of Hamptons and HGIs, including in Portland.

Hilton Quebec (City) is a nice property and great location if you are open to "extreme northern New England" .

I deally we would like to travel in the Spring, maybe April or May.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I vote for Big Sky country and Glacier National Park. Use Bozeman airport and maybe take in Yellowstone as well.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:45 am

I deally we would like to travel in the Spring, maybe April or May.
OK. Just know that if you're going to those Western locales, even in May a lot of the stuff is still going to be snowed in and closed down.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I vote for Big Sky country and Glacier National Park. Use Bozeman airport and maybe take in Yellowstone as well.
Glacier is awesome, but not in April or May.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:36 am

Out of all those places listed, Northern California is the only place I would consider in April or May. Have you considered the southwest U.S? Places like Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Glacier is awesome, but not in April or May.
The Going to the Sun Road opened on June 28th this year. We visited Jackson Hole/Yellowstone/Glacier NP in June/July 2010. Flew into Jackson Hole, WY and out of Kalispell, MT. Lots of driving but a beautiful part of the country. I agree that April/May could be difficult.

I live a couple of hours from Niagara Falls and visit there frequently. April/May can be hit or miss there too and many attractions don't open until mid-late May.

I find it hard to make recommendations on these types of requests when the OP's don't indicate what THEY like to do when traveling.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Out of all those places listed, Northern California is the only place I would consider in April or May. Have you considered the southwest U.S? Places like Sedona, Grand Canyon, Zion?

Grand Canyon and Zion are amazing. But, I would want to take the kids to see those locations. This will be a trip just for the wife and I.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:47 pm

Grand Canyon and Zion are amazing. But, I would want to take the kids to see those locations. This will be a trip just for the wife and I.
Sedona could be a good places for a couple trip, depending on what you like to do. My wife and I just got back from there in November and loved it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
santa fe, new mexico is an interesting place. fly in to abq. https://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe/

Last edited by bearkatt; Dec 20, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Los Cabos. The Hilton property there is really nice. We were there in May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.