Your Hilton year 2017

Old Dec 16, 17, 5:28 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Your Hilton year 2017

A fun thread to share any interesting stories, stats or new places where you stayed in a Hilton this year.

I'll start: I didn't travel as much internationally as in years past, however, I did finally make it to Portugal and enjoyed a lovely stay in the Conrad there, hope to get back to both Portugal and the Conrad in the future.

Stats wise: I'll end the year with 47 stays and just under 60 nights. Half my stays were at the Southampton Ageas Bowl Hilton. On one hand I appreciate that many of my fellow FTers will have stayed a hundred nights or more in Hilton chain hotels so this is a pittance in comparison...but still always amazed that I spent a night every second week in the hotel...

EDIT: my one Hilton goal for 2018 is to stay in the new Lake Como Hilton in Italy, hoping to drive down in my new car and enjoy the sights , food and views from this stunning region.

Look forward to hearing what others have found of note or worth sharing on their hotel year! Safe travels and may 2018 bring you some new adventures (of your choosing!)
wizla and tynmar like this.

Last edited by BotB; Dec 16, 17 at 5:31 am Reason: adding New Years resolution for Hilton
Old Dec 16, 17, 5:55 am

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Well, I did the famous Diamond match 2 years ago, did not stay at all the first year but was lured into Hilton anyway and stayed the second year, i.e. last year 2017 just the 20 stays to requalify for Gold so Hilton kind of got a new customer by giving away that Diamond back then. Now I still consider if I should make another 5 mattress runs (double promo = 10 stays) to get back to Diamond in the remaining 15 days of 2017
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Ive requalified for my Diamond status after 36 stays! Highlights for me were a 4 night stay at the Millenium Hilton Bangkok where I was looked after so well as a Diamond. I also had a 2 night stop at the Hilton Abu Dhabi in each direction where I was upgraded to the most beautiful suite from an entry level room and enjoyed time at their fantastic beach club. Lots of stays at Frankfurt Hilton, (which has best health and wellness club Ive ever seen in a hotel), Frankfurt airport Hilton with its awesome lounge and Warsaw Hilton. Closer to home lots of stays at Doubletree Newcastle which is always great before that early morning flight and Hilton Heathrow T5 where they look after Diamonds so well, Hilton always makes my travel so less stressful
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 7:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
39stays
66 nights
82k base points
5th year in a row making Diamond.
I’m a road warrior based on the Gulf Coast. 80% of my business is rural or small-town Hampton Inns and HGI’s.

I was off the road for 3 months starting in March for the birth of my second daughter. I couldn’t be more happy with the additional time at home early in the year.

Some of of my favorite properties are:

HI&S Valdosta, Georgia. Recently renovated, incredibly inexpensive, and hosts a big manager’s reception each day. We’re always treated well here.

HI Garden District, NO, LA. Great hidden gem of a property off the beaten path in NO.

HGI Lakeland Airport, Lakeland, FL. If for nothing else, they have old school, non-motion sensing thermostats. I sleep like a baby here and I will forever be a customer.

We we try to maximize points earning through promotions and CCs to reward ourselves with a few nice vacations every year. Our favorite award stay was at Bonnet Creek in Orlando. The Sandestin Beach Resort is always nice for a quick weekend away. We have our Christmas tradition at the WA Roosevelt booked for next weekend and are very much looking forward to it.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 8:39 am

My "Hilton year" consisted of making SPG/Marriott Platinum and getting treated really well by them. Have about 25 nights in hotels over the next month; 50/50 HH and SPG/Marriott. Some SPG stays are pre-upgraded to suites already while HH is spamming me, trying to upsell, and sending bogus out-of-date auto emails.

HH Diamond is going bye-bye come spring...
Old Dec 16, 17, 8:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
30 stays and 59 nights when my next and last stay will be completed this year.
In September I have travelled throughout Poland and stayed at Hilton affiliated hotels wherever available. I must admit I planned my route along Hilton affiliated hotels. I meant to report on them but never arrived at that point.

However, my highlight was Hilton Gdansk: excellent customer orientation and exceptionally good restaurant. No executive lounge, however. Nevertheless, brilliantly located, great rooms, great staff. When I inquired for a late check-out by 14.00 hrs, I heard: "We are fully booked but we will extend your check-out until 14.00 hrs." I never ever heard that before and I am afraid, I will nowhere else.

I am traveling at my own expensive and strive hard to get the 30 stays.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 9:11 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/2.9MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Plat
30 stays & 46 nights
Lifetime Diamond and 20th year as an earned Diamond
Have had suite upgrades at most properties that offer them.
No real problems to report. The most drama I had was at one expensive property that I checked into late and found a mini fridge plugged into the wall right next to bed, I unplugged it and moved it out of the way. Upon checkout, I told them they may want to take care of it. 30 minutes later, I was emailed a new folio and comped the stay. I sent the GM a message telling them it wasn't necessary - they said they appreciated my LTD status and their performance was unacceptable.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Given job change 3-4 years ago i only do 25 or so nights per year, half work half personal. I made it on base points this year, having had a few trips where i needed a suite and/or a second room. I still value Diamond at the lower level of travel for upgrades and lounge access outside NA. I am interested to see what if anything Hilton is going to do with Diamond/above given the recent credit card offerings. LT Diamond is within natural reach in the next 4-5 years and if i don't make it in base points each year until then with cc spend status and the one time extension i ought to be able to stay Diamond throughout.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 10:40 am

15 Stays, 67nights and 68,008 points I'm lifetime diamond also.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 11:20 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I've had a great year with Hilton , same as botb I'm not a big player on stays/nights and base points ....... I finish will on 36 stays and 40 nights .
Highlights was traveling all over Europe in the summer visiting Bratislava, Vienna, Antwerp and Brussels, all very good Hilton's, ( see reviews ).....I met some interesting people too and had some laughs.
Amsterdam was fun too, a " must visit " if you haven't.
Most of my stays are in London and I got try Paddington, Olympia and Watford Hilton's, for the first time this year....all I enjoyed.
Bargain of the year has to be Hilton Liverpool city, I had a business trip to Manchester and planned to drive back but tired I made a last minute decision to stay over due to a late finish, I bagged Hilton Liverpool for £62 , turned up an hour later , got a great upgrade and enjoyed the last hour of the lounge , that said £72 for a friend and I to stay at Hilton London metropole on tour with juice crew is a close contender too.
So yes it's been a great year.....going forward I plan to stay Hilton ageas bowl ( this Monday coming) and Hilton Canary Wharf ( 27th ) Hilton Cambridge city (28th ).
Next year I hope to tour Italy and visit most of the city's, Im also hoping to be on the European leg of the public enemy tour in July again using Hilton as my hotel of choice.
My personal favourites are still the Waldorf Hilton London and Hilton Canary Wharf although Paddington and Vienna Danube impressed me too.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 11:50 am

A pretty boring year for me tbh.

I’ll finish the year on 36 stays and around 50 nights, around 45 nights having been in Scotland.

Highlight was a rather odd stay in March at Hilton Glasgow where I had my mother with me for a mother’s day treat. In the lounge a rather drunk American woman took it upon herself to assume my mother was, and I quote “My woman”. My mother’s response would cause me to be banned from here if I were to quote it so I will just say that it was robust and leave it at that. The same woman was subsequently asked to leave the lounge twenty minutes later when she started describing her husbands genetalia to the couple at the table on the other side.

Best stay for service and quality: Hilton Wembley in November. Don’t know why, I assume it’s due to consistency but this is probably my favourite London property.
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 12:21 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Gold, HH D, BA Silver
Great to hear the different replies so far, hope you all have a good 2018 with as much (or as little) travel as you wish for!

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
My "Hilton year" consisted of making SPG/Marriott Platinum and getting treated really well by them. Have about 25 nights in hotels over the next month; 50/50 HH and SPG/Marriott. Some SPG stays are pre-upgraded to suites already while HH is spamming me, trying to upsell, and sending bogus out-of-date auto emails.

HH Diamond is going bye-bye come spring...
Sorry to hear that arlflyer, I hope SPG/Marriott works out for you and it's always good to evaluate where one brings one's custom. Safe travels.

Originally Posted by Zurich View Post
30 stays and 59 nights when my next and last stay will be completed this year.
In September I have travelled throughout Poland and stayed at Hilton affiliated hotels wherever available. I must admit I planned my route along Hilton affiliated hotels. I meant to report on them but never arrived at that point.

However, my highlight was Hilton Gdansk: excellent customer orientation and exceptionally good restaurant. No executive lounge, however. Nevertheless, brilliantly located, great rooms, great staff. When I inquired for a late check-out by 14.00 hrs, I heard: "We are fully booked but we will extend your check-out until 14.00 hrs." I never ever heard that before and I am afraid, I will nowhere else.

I am traveling at my own expensive and strive hard to get the 30 stays.
I'm hoping I'll get to try out some of the Hilton chain hotels in Poland, I've heard really good things from people that have stayed, good to hear you had similar experiences. ^ I can remember staying a couple of years at Hiltons on my own money and that is quite hard to achieve, depending on where one lives in Europe so I can certainly sympathise, hope you continue to find value and enjoy your travels in 2018.

Originally Posted by Tomphot View Post
30 stays & 46 nights
Lifetime Diamond and 20th year as an earned Diamond
Have had suite upgrades at most properties that offer them.
No real problems to report. The most drama I had was at one expensive property that I checked into late and found a mini fridge plugged into the wall right next to bed, I unplugged it and moved it out of the way. Upon checkout, I told them they may want to take care of it. 30 minutes later, I was emailed a new folio and comped the stay. I sent the GM a message telling them it wasn't necessary - they said they appreciated my LTD status and their performance was unacceptable.
Great that they valued LTD and let's hope that this continues into the future. Congrats on achieving that. ^

Originally Posted by Norri View Post
15 Stays, 67nights and 68,008 points I'm lifetime diamond also.
Congrats on LTD as well. ^ (and that is still a lot of nights to be staying in hotels!)

Originally Posted by wizla View Post
I've had a great year with Hilton , same as botb I'm not a big player on stays/nights and base points ....... I finish will on 36 stays and 40 nights .
Highlights was traveling all over Europe in the summer visiting Bratislava, Vienna, Antwerp and Brussels, all very good Hilton's, ( see reviews ).....I met some interesting people too and had some laughs.
Amsterdam was fun too, a " must visit " if you haven't.
Most of my stays are in London and I got try Paddington, Olympia and Watford Hilton's, for the first time this year....all I enjoyed.
Bargain of the year has to be Hilton Liverpool city, I had a business trip to Manchester and planned to drive back but tired I made a last minute decision to stay over due to a late finish, I bagged Hilton Liverpool for £62 , turned up an hour later , got a great upgrade and enjoyed the last hour of the lounge , that said £72 for a friend and I to stay at Hilton London metropole on tour with juice crew is a close contender too.
So yes it's been a great year.....going forward I plan to stay Hilton ageas bowl ( this Monday coming) and Hilton Canary Wharf ( 27th ) Hilton Cambridge city (28th ).
Next year I hope to tour Italy and visit most of the city's, Im also hoping to be on the European leg of the public enemy tour in July again using Hilton as my hotel of choice.
My personal favourites are still the Waldorf Hilton London and Hilton Canary Wharf although Paddington and Vienna Danube impressed me too.
Really looking forward to Monday evening wizla, hope it works out that you can get over to Ageas after your work day. I've been upgraded to a pitch room already so I'm sorted! (and I wouldn't at all be jealous if you get a suite )

Sounds like you've had a great year as well and definitely done some good international travel. ^ Not stayed at a Hilton in Bratislava, will have to check out your review of that one...last time I was there was back in 2002 in a Holiday Inn Express...(shudders)...ah the good old days!

I've got a new motor recently so we'll definitely have to discuss which German brand is better while in the sauna! (or over beers in the lounge!) Thundercat is also going to join us (and he also has a new car, (of the right sort I'll add ) ...

We'll get there around 5:00 PM I think and hit the spa first then get to the lounge before the drinks stop at 19:30...I'm planning on eating in the bar area after...hope that fits into what you were thinking, let me know by PM if you have other thoughts please.

Anyone else in the area, please do join us or rearrange your plans accordingly!

Any others that will share how their 2017 Hilton year has been and where they are thinking of staying in 2018 with the chain?
Old Dec 16, 17, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I'm one stay short of Diamond (I'll have it by year end).

Highlight / goal: I wanted to stay at the Hilton Dubrovnik before it closed for remodel. The balcony exec lounge was worth it. I hope for the best with their new setup, but will forever miss that view!

Totally enjoyed sampling a mattress run through Spain, staying one night at each of the 3 Barcelona and also the Madrid Airport Hilton. Somehow wrangled a literally last minute sold out but still cheap points stay at a Home2Suites in Idaho Falls, ID on 4th of July to see the giant fireworks annual thing they do there.

Rolling dice on more Amex and Citi card sign ups - let's see 2018 what happens there! 😜
BotB likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 12:38 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
A pretty boring year for me tbh.

I’ll finish the year on 36 stays and around 50 nights, around 45 nights having been in Scotland.

Highlight was a rather odd stay in March at Hilton Glasgow where I had my mother with me for a mother’s day treat. In the lounge a rather drunk American woman took it upon herself to assume my mother was, and I quote “My woman”. My mother’s response would cause me to be banned from here if I were to quote it so I will just say that it was robust and leave it at that. The same woman was subsequently asked to leave the lounge twenty minutes later when she started describing her husbands genetalia to the couple at the table on the other side.

Best stay for service and quality: Hilton Wembley in November. Don’t know why, I assume it’s due to consistency but this is probably my favourite London property.
jeez that's crazy behaviour!....... I remember my stay at Hilton Brussels , drunk/stoned guy in lounge was asked to leave as he didn't have access, he was rude to staff and left , however half hour later he returned and started eating some pasta salad straight from the bowl using the serving spoon, this Welsh guy jumped out off his seat called him a rude pig , grabbed him and threw him out off the lounge ( literally! ) ....... the manager appeared and threw him out of the hotel, case as well......turned out to be a famous DJ who was was used to staying at high end hotels and getting his own way according to the concierge.
i was also at the Waldorf last Xmas with my lady and mother, the canapés was calamari and my mother asked me what this was, " squid tentacles " I told her ......she didn't believe me and asked the assistant but wrongly said " squid testicules " ( typically cockney and pronouncing words wrong) , there was a moment of silence then huge laughter from everyone near when she realised her mistake , luckily everyone including the assistant had a sense of humour........man did we laugh!
Old Dec 16, 17, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
29 Stays, 47 nights, 137K base points. All but 1 stay, 3 nights was leisure travel. Had 2 15 night, 9 or 10 stay road trips. More leisure travel than normal, but as I am almost retired, that is the way of the future.

Diamond for the 7th year, in the 8 years I have been a HH member.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: