Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Booking HGI at 2X Points. When it is a good deal and when it is not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum

Looking at booking HGI at Mirimar Beach, FL the 27th thru the 31st of this month. The AAA rate on this Gulf View JS is $199 and 2X Points is $221. At what price point does it make sense to actually book the 2X Points vs paying cash?

Appreciate any advice,
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Looking at booking HGI at Mirimar Beach, FL the 27th thru the 31st of this month. The AAA rate on this Gulf View JS is $199 and 2X Points is $221. At what price point does it make sense to actually book the 2X Points vs paying cash?

Appreciate any advice,
Just run the two different earning scenarios and see what you're paying per point. Based off my quick math, and remember the 2X points only doubles the base points, you'd earn ~7960 base points for 4 nights, so 7960 on AAA vs 17,680 on the double points rate. You'd essentially be paying $88 more over the 4 nights to buy nearly 10k points (0.009 cents per point), which I think most of us here would agree is more than they're worth. So if I were you I'd book the AAA rate.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Just run the two different earning scenarios and see what you're paying per point. Based off my quick math, and remember the 2X points only doubles the base points, you'd earn ~7960 base points for 4 nights, so 7960 on AAA vs 17,680 on the double points rate. You'd essentially be paying $88 more over the 4 nights to buy nearly 10k points (0.009 cents per point), which I think most of us here would agree is more than they're worth. So if I were you I'd book the AAA rate.
Perfect information! Exactly what I wanted to read, Thank You!!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Now, to tack on. I have the Citi Reserve which gives me 10x the points if I am correct. Can you help me to understand when I throw this into the mix
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Now, to tack on. I have the Citi Reserve which gives me 10x the points if I am correct. Can you help me to understand when I throw this into the mix
Well what is your alternative card that you'd use? Generally I'd use the Reserve over anything else because I value a Hilton point at 0.5 cents, so that's an immediate 5% return on spend. It gets more complicated if you have Amex cards with Amex offers floating around, like the current one for HGI/Hampton Inn of spend $175+, get $35 back that many people have been seeing on their cards.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

I never use a alternative card when it comes to Hilton stays. The Citi Visa Signature Reserve card is all I use.

I do have a Amex Plat Business card I'll use at non Hilton hotels, especially when I travel internationally
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
You can purchase HH points for $10 per 1,000. Occasionally, they will offer a 50% discount or 2X the points (like they did a few weeks ago), which makes them be $5 per 1,000 points. I would use that metric to determine the value of how many more points you are getting for the difference in the higher rate.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Where it makes sense is:

1. When someone elsewho doesn't care/can't fire you for inflating expenses is paying (tread carefully);
2. Where the extra points get you over a threshold that you otherwise wouldn't acheive (unusual);
3. Where you're going to be inviting ten people for dinner and charging it to your room on a one night stay (or other similarly oversized extras). $20 per room for the double points rate makes no sense for 2,000 extra base points - but if you were charging $200 to the room on top, you'd be getting 4,000 points for your $20 on the room rate - which makes a lot more sense.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
You can purchase HH points for $10 per 1,000. Occasionally, they will offer a 50% discount or 2X the points (like they did a few weeks ago), which makes them be $5 per 1,000 points. I would use that metric to determine the value of how many more points you are getting for the difference in the higher rate.
Thanks FanJet. That is the metric I have not known, appreciate the response.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
Where it makes sense is:

1. When someone elsewho doesn't care/can't fire you for inflating expenses is paying (tread carefully);
2. Where the extra points get you over a threshold that you otherwise wouldn't acheive (unusual);
3. Where you're going to be inviting ten people for dinner and charging it to your room on a one night stay (or other similarly oversized extras). $20 per room for the double points rate makes no sense for 2,000 extra base points - but if you were charging $200 to the room on top, you'd be getting 4,000 points for your $20 on the room rate - which makes a lot more sense.
Ahhh...That is good to know.
1. Good thing I'm the boss
2. I'm at 1.7 mill or so Points (give or take) so for me it's all about maximizing Points every time.
3. That makes a lot of sense, perfect information and exactly what I didn't know.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I never use a alternative card when it comes to Hilton stays. The Citi Visa Signature Reserve card is all I use.

I do have a Amex Plat Business card I'll use at non Hilton hotels, especially when I travel internationally
Except that AMEX often has Sync offers with Hilton hotel brands, so I take the cash rebates over the Hilton credit card points.

As for 2x rates, my quick rule is that I only consider them if they're under $10 extra, or if a bit more in conjunction with an existing bonus promo if I think I might be charging incidentals as well.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Another thing to consider when looking at the 2x points rate is the cancellation policy. Since Hilton has switched to the 48 hour cancellation rule, I've seen a handful of 2x rates that give you until 4:00 pm the day of, which is worth a lot to me. Getting double the base points is just the cherry on top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.