Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Question about the Hilton and Curio Amex Offer

Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Poster

There is currently an ongoing Amex offer that get $60 back after spending $300+ at Hilton or Curio. Would a stay at a hilton and a stay at a curio combined work? The terms don't seem clear and @askamex at twitter hasn't been helpful... In the past i had to either stay at Hilton garden Inn, or stay at Hampton Inn to get the similar Amex HGI/Hampton offer credit, and a combination of stays at both brands didn't work. But since there are not that many curio hotels, i wonder if this Amex offer would work differently. Any experience/DPs?

Here is the offer terms:

Enrollment limited. Reservations for Hilton Hotels & Resorts must be made online at hilton.com, via the Hilton Honors App or by calling 1-800-445-8667. Reservations for Curio – A Collection by Hilton™ must be made online at curiocollection.com, via the Hilton Honors App or by calling 1-844-442-8746. Offer only valid at Hilton Hotels & Resorts and Curio – A Collection by Hilton™ in the US & US territories. Excludes Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts™, Canopy by Hilton™, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Tapestry Collection by Hilton™, Embassy Suites by Hilton™, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton by Hilton™, Tru by Hilton™, Homewood Suites by Hilton™, Home2 Suites by Hilton™ and Hilton Grand Vacations™. Excludes gift card purchases. Offer does not apply to advance purchase rates, including Advance Purchase, Save Now & Pay and Non-refundable rates. Corporate Cards are not eligible for this offer. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Limit 1 statement credit(s) per American Express Card across all American Express offer channels. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 1/31/2018, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer.

Last edited by walkingingotham; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've had combos that worked in the past. Not sure why your Hampton/HGI did not?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I've had combos that worked in the past. Not sure why your Hampton/HGI did not?
Combos didn't work for my Hampton/HGI amex offer in 2016. Not sure it's because I was using a third party amex card, or Amex changed how the offer works later.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So you did not use the Amex card that the offer was attached to? The one that, when you see the offer in your Amex account you click "add to card"? Of course it's not going to work! I had a situation where I was an authorized user on the amex-offer card (my husband was the primary), and even that didn't work - luckily it was at a store (Staples) so I brought the stuff back and had them recharge it on my husband's card (same account, different number). Now I'm very careful to know which card number offers are attached to.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So you did not use the Amex card that the offer was attached to? The one that, when you see the offer in your Amex account you click "add to card"? Of course it's not going to work! I had a situation where I was an authorized user on the amex-offer card (my husband was the primary), and even that didn't work - luckily it was at a store (Staples) so I brought the stuff back and had them recharge it on my husband's card (same account, different number). Now I'm very careful to know which card number offers are attached to.
It was a third party Amex card issued by another bank so i added the offer through Twitter. I didn't receive the credit after a combo of stays at HGI and Hampton. But i did finally receive the credit when i finished another stay at HGI several weeks later,
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I suspect the problem was that one of your first couple of stays did not credit properly to the promotion, either it was not compliant in some way with the terms and conditions, or just failed to be captured by the system; the brands should be interchangeable in this type of promotion. One word of advice is that for the previous Hilton promotion my AmEx credit did not appear for a few weeks, unlike how it usually credits a day or two after the final charges have posted.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I suspect the problem was that one of your first couple of stays did not credit properly to the promotion, either it was not compliant in some way with the terms and conditions, or just failed to be captured by the system; the brands should be interchangeable in this type of promotion. One word of advice is that for the previous Hilton promotion my AmEx credit did not appear for a few weeks, unlike how it usually credits a day or two after the final charges have posted.

​​​​​i did a split payment to take advantage of a visa promo but am not sure if that's the problem, since Amex offer can overlap other promo? For the second HGI stay, I received a confirmation email from Amex immediately after the front desk put a temporary charge on my card, so I doubt the offer credit had been delayed before.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If you split a payment, perhaps you missed the minimum without that additional stay that triggered the credit?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
If you split a payment, perhaps you missed the minimum without that additional stay that triggered the credit?
The amount from the 1st HGI stay didn't reach the minimum, but the total charge to my amex from the Hampton stay later and the previous HGI stay did exceed the minimum requirement. So I had to stay at another HGI to finally get the offer credit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.