Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Points Pooling - Account Closed. Beware !!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MaldivesFreak
Here is a link to Hilton T & C on pooling:

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/p...money/faq.html

1. What is Points Pooling?
Points Pooling will allow Hilton Honors Members to combine their Points with family and friends to book a stay. With this perk, a Member (and up to 10 others) will now be able to combine their Points. For example, if a group of friends are taking a trip together and individually don’t have enough Points to cover their entire stay, they will now be able to combine their Points, free of charge, into one account to unlock new redemption opportunities.

2. Is there a fee to participate in the Points Pooling program?
No, there is no fee to participate in Points Pooling.

3. How many people can contribute to Points Pooling?
A total of 11 Hilton Honors Members can pool their Points together. One Member initiates the pooling and up to 10 other Members can contribute.

4. Do I need to create a new "pooled" account?
No. Members can use their existing account.

5. How many Points Pools can I be in?
There is no limit on the number of pools a member can be in at a given time.

6. Can you use Pooled Points for just room rates or can it be used for non-room rewards including shopping and experiences?
Yes, once Points are pooled, they can be used for any room or non-room reward product, including the experiences available on the Hilton Honors auction platform, Hilton Honors Shopping Mall and any other non-room reward products.

7. Can you combine Pooled Points with money?
Once Points are pooled they can be used for any room reward product, including a Points & Money Rewards™ reward reservation.

8. What is the minimum/maximum number of Points that can be pooled?
A Member can transfer a minimum of 1,000 Points and a maximum of 500,000 Points into a pool in a calendar year. A Member can receive up to 2 million Points in a calendar year.

9. Are there particular qualifications you must meet to be able to pool Points?
To use Points Pooling, you must be an active Member, be in the program for 30 days, and have a minimum Points balance of 1,000 Points.

10. When will Points Pooling be available?
Points Pooling is now available. Start pooling your Hilton Honors Points here.

11. When will the Points be shown in the other Member’s account and be ready for use?
The transferred or pooled Points will be available for use at the time of transfer, but please allow up to 24 hours for pooled Points to show up when you log in to your account.

12. Where and how do I Points Pool once I have a group of Members that want to combine Points?
All Points Pooling activities will be transacted online via HiltonHonors.com.

13. Where do I go to transfer my Points to the Points Pool initiator?
The Points contributor must access the transfer page through the Points Pool invitation email sent on behalf ot the Points Pool initiator.

14. What’s the difference between Points Pooling and Points Transfer?
Points Transfer is a 1:1 transaction, while Points Pooling allows for combining Hilton Honors Points with up to 10 other people (11 including yourself).

15. After I send Points to a friend for Pooling, what happens if he/she cancels the trip? How can I get my Points back?
If your friend has to cancel his/her trip, he/she can simply transfer the Points back to your account for free.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Did they get rid of joint accounts at some point? My wife and I are on the same account number, we each have a card but it is the same account number
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Did they get rid of joint accounts at some point? My wife and I are on the same account number, we each have a card but it is the same account number
Mutual accounts have been grandfathered in and remain active. No one is allowed to create a new one with the current rules.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I also have a mutual account with my husband from years ago. We've always been able to get individual HHonors credit cards, and funnel the points into our shared account. I hope doing so isn't going to create a red flag now.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:55 am

As a follow up to my earlier post, I messaged Lauren and that seems to have done the trick. Hilton have now re-opened my account and gifted me 20,000 Hilton points for the inconvenience.

I still have no real idea why my account was closed although I suspect it was something to do with points pooling triggering a fraud detection algorithm.
MaldivesFreak and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by gingeola; Nov 4, 2017 at 3:09 am Reason: More detail
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gingeola
As a follow up to my earlier post, Hilton have now re-opened my account and gifted me 20,000 Hilton points for the inconvenience.

I still have no real idea why my account was closed although I suspect it was something to do with points pooling triggering a fraud detection algorithm.
Thanks for the update!

Makes me feel much safer about pooling points with family members.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:10 am

Was this ever solved? Looks like I am in the same situation...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:41 pm

I did a point pooling few weeks ago from my spouse account to my account. We are both gold from credit card and have some points from sign on bonuses.. Yesterday, my spouse received an email from Hilton Honors informing her that Hilton Honors suspecting her account was hacked from the point pooling transaction and reverse the transaction and gave her new HHonors account number. I found out my account was closed after calling HHonors customer service and was instructed to email their fraud department. Below is the email that I received from their fraud department today. Not sure why points pooling between spouse violate the T&Cs as clearly points pooling between family member is allowed in the T&Cs. Beware!!!

DEAR xxxxx,

HILTON IS WRITING TO INFORM YOU OF RECENT ACTIVITY REGARDING YOUR HILTON HONORS ACCOUNT.

WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THERE WAS UNAUTHORIZED POINTS POOLING TRANSACTION ON YOUR ACCOUNT. AS A RESULT, YOUR HILTON HONORS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN CLOSED.

PLEASE NOTE, HILTON HONORS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SUSPEND OR DISCONTINUE HILTON HONORS MEMBERSHIP, INCLUDING ANY ELITE TIER STATUS (INCLUDING SILVER ELITE MEMBER, GOLD ELITE MEMBER, AND DIAMOND ELITE MEMBER STATUS), FOR ANY MEMBER WHO APPEARS TO BE USING THE PROGRAM IN A MANNER INCONSISTENT WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OR INTENT OF THE PROGRAM OR ANY PORTION OF THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, REWARD REDEMPTION OR CERTIFICATE USE.

HILTON HONORS ALSO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISCONTINUE MEMBERSHIP FOR ANY MEMBER WHO HILTON HONORS BELIEVES, OR IF THERE ARE REASONABLE GROUNDS FOR SUSPECTING, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, HAS FAILED TO PAY ANY BILLS OR ACCOUNTS DUE TO HILTON OR ANY HOTEL WITHIN THE HILTON PORTFOLIO HILTON HONORS TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAN BE FOUND ONLINE AT HTTPS //SECURE3.HILTON.COM/EN/TERMS/INDEX.HTML#.

SINCERELY,

FRAUD ANALYST
HHFP - DIAGNOSIS AND RESPONSE TEAM (DART)
AC
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Any other details regarding the accounts, transactions or subsequent reservations that may have caused scrutiny?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by diver858
Any other details regarding the accounts, transactions or subsequent reservations that may have caused scrutiny?
Agreed. It would be helpful to know more so the risky activities can be identified. How many cards between the two of you? How many sign-up bonuses? Anything funky involving use of the free night certificates?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
[QUOTE=hodinata;29158952]I did a point pooling few weeks ago from my spouse account to my account. We are both gold from credit card and have some points from sign on bonuses.. Yesterday, my spouse received an email from Hilton Honors informing her that Hilton Honors suspecting her account was hacked from the point pooling transaction and reverse the transaction and gave her new HHonors account number. I found out my account was closed after calling HHonors customer service and was instructed to email their fraud department. Below is the email that I received from their fraud department today. Not sure why points pooling between spouse violate the T&Cs as clearly points pooling between family member is allowed in the T&Cs. Beware!!!

How long have you each been Honors members? Do you mean from the above that you have had no paid stays at a Hilton property at all? Just points from the credit cards? Have you redeemed any of those points for free stays?

I've transferred points from my account into my husband's twice in the last couple of months with no issues at all, but we have pretty frequent Hilton stays.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed. It would be helpful to know more so the risky activities can be identified. How many cards between the two of you? How many sign-up bonuses? Anything funky involving use of the free night certificates?
We had 6 points sign up bonuses between the two of us (2 amex and 1 citi). Got the citi sign on bonus in 2016 and amex sign on bonus in 2016 and 2017. We had another citi with 2 free nights sign on bonus in 2015 as well.

Nothing funky regarding free night certificate. We used it back in 2015. I have been members for more than 5 years, spouse more than 2 years. After point pooling, we have not redeemeed anything yet.

Last edited by hodinata; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:25 am Reason: More information
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:12 am

[QUOTE=Eujeanie;29159344]
Originally Posted by hodinata
I did a point pooling few weeks ago from my spouse account to my account. We are both gold from credit card and have some points from sign on bonuses.. Yesterday, my spouse received an email from Hilton Honors informing her that Hilton Honors suspecting her account was hacked from the point pooling transaction and reverse the transaction and gave her new HHonors account number. I found out my account was closed after calling HHonors customer service and was instructed to email their fraud department. Below is the email that I received from their fraud department today. Not sure why points pooling between spouse violate the T&Cs as clearly points pooling between family member is allowed in the T&Cs. Beware!!!

How long have you each been Honors members? Do you mean from the above that you have had no paid stays at a Hilton property at all? Just points from the credit cards? Have you redeemed any of those points for free stays?

I've transferred points from my account into my husband's twice in the last couple of months with no issues at all, but we have pretty frequent Hilton stays.
I had one paid stays back in 2015 and 2 points stay since then. Nothing else. Point pooling was initiated on Oct 8th.

Last edited by hodinata; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:19 am Reason: Add more information.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:59 am

Hodinata, where are you located (region of the world would be sufficient)?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hodinata, where are you located (region of the world would be sufficient)?
I am based in US.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:39 am

OK, thanks. Some of the few previous reports seemed to originate from other regions, so was wondering if there was a hypothesis to be had there.

In this case, there is still a high ratio of "other" activities to paid stay activities, so I do see how a rudimentary fraud algorithm could be triggered. We did see the previous case of account closure after legitimate activity being reversed, so hopefully working with the fraud dept. and/or the ambassador here on FT will yield the same result if the facts of the story are as told. Do keep us posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.