FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton Points Pooling - Account Closed. Beware !! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1882126-hilton-points-pooling-account-closed-beware.html)

BearX220 Sep 16, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Tse (Post 28822641)
We try out our best to give comments (also with compliment, and attached photos for defects)... We love to take photo for every stay when checkin hotel. All our stays are posted to Facebook and sent link...

If what you're doing is posting a series of photo-illustrated negative trip reports on social media, Hilton has probably decided you're an Internet provocateur who is too costly to keep as a customer.

If you were that unhappy with Hilton, yet continue booking Hilton and "love to take photo" of "defects" which you use to attract attention to yourselves online, Hilton has every right to conclude that:

(A) It will never be possible to satisfy you,
(B) You are mining your complaints about Hilton for public attention,
(C) You may be causing Hilton reputational damage, and
(D) it is good business for them discourage you from keeping this up.

All points and Honors program benefits are the property of the issuer and may be reclaimed or withdrawn at Hilton's discretion any time.

Roger Lococco Sep 16, 2017 9:16 am

Sounds like Hilton made the right move here

Often1 Sep 16, 2017 9:32 am

What is the specific evidence which makes you believe that HH discriminated against you based on your Chinese nationality?

I lose all sympathy for anybody who makes this type of an assertion without a specific set of facts.

You gave a detailed, if confusing, account initially and did not mention nationality. One would think that if this was an issue, that you would have mentioned it initially.

BrlDsguise Sep 16, 2017 10:01 am

While Hilton may or may not be justified in tqking away earned or compensation points, do people really feel they are entitled to take purchaed points away?

To me that is like cancelling a prepaid reservation and keeping the monet.

missamo80 Sep 16, 2017 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Zoe Tse (Post 28822571)
they can do that but need a reason. It is impossible to close an account with 260K points. Any consumer protection org in US? I can't do it in HK as it is online deal.

They gave you a reason. Several of them, actually.

Neil

azepine00 Sep 16, 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28822572)
It seems clear from the HH email that it was fraudulent activity which brought OP to HH's attention. A further review, presumably to determine what ought to be done, showed that OP is a serial complainer, so HH fired OP as a customer.

while firing a customer is within their right, selling thousands of points and then closing account seems like a theft to me...

i assume for customers based in china consumer protection is rather limited too...

Baze Sep 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Wow, I've been using Hilton for 20 years, am a Lifetime Diamond and I think I have made maybe 3 complaints total in that time. I don't go looking for things to complain about and that, from what I am reading, is exactly what the OP is doing. Taking pictures of every little thing that is not perfect? Other than the purchased points has the OP ever actually paid for a stay or using all the compensation points for the next stay to complain about. I would say they found a loop hole in the system, getting points as compensation and enough for the next night to then complain about. I think Hilton caught on and closed the OP's little scheme. Unless OP can come back and clear up misconceptions, which I doubt they can, on our part I think Hilton did the right thing.

Fleck Sep 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 28823200)
this is a slippery slope here - where does one draw a line between a valid complaint and "pain in the ..."?
what stops them from closing accounts of those who post negative reviews on tripadvisor?

nm

Yellowjj Sep 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 28823016)
While Hilton may or may not be justified in tqking away earned or compensation points, do people really feel they are entitled to take purchaed points away?

To me that is like cancelling a prepaid reservation and keeping the monet.

If they suspected the OP was selling points, then yes. No different than people buying miles to broker tickets and the airline closing their account.

danielonn Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

A hotel chain has every right to close down an account for any reason as set forth in their Terms and Conditions. If they felt that you are not a profitable person or financially deprived them in any way then of course they can close or suspend an account.

Do you like the decision? No. Can you write them in six months or year and ask them to rethink their decision? Sure. Do they owe you anything? No.

Move on to another chain or stay at Hilton without any benefits the choice is yours. We are able to chose who we do business with.

If I have a problem with a stay then I am going to go to the front desk and let them know what is going on to allow them to rectify the situation then. If not then I will ask for the Front Desk Manager if they can't do anything then the General Manager if not Corporate.

I have rarely had to go to Corporate as the Front Desk Manager took care of me right away and even upgraded my room due to the problem.

mapleg Sep 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 28823200)
this is a slippery slope here - where does one draw a line between a valid complaint and "pain in the ..."?
what stops them from closing accounts of those who post negative reviews on tripadvisor?

Slippery slope?

She joined HH April 2017 and they bid her adieu in Sept 2017. Appears she made a barrage of complaints in a 4 month period and was in the habit of emailing photos to HH pointing out their deficiencies, all in the guise of helping them improve their product. More likely it was to get free points.

Sounds like a client any normal business would be happy to get rid of.

I have managed to go my whole life without e mailing photos of every nitpick to a hotel chain's head office. As for those who post negative reviews on tripadvisor--they would be anonymous to the hotel chain unless you are foolish enough to put your real name in the review, which is never done.

thbe Sep 16, 2017 2:43 pm

To get 80k points in 5 months by complaining sounds quite a lot to me

And you have a picture from a boy watching you while you were sleeping?

Btw: How many of your 40 stays were award stays?

Anyway, as Hilton has hotels in HKG you can sue Hilton in HKG as well. They can close your account. They can keep your points. But they have to pay compensation to you.

Eujeanie Sep 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Why do you not have the deadbolt on while you are sleeping in your room (nude or otherwise)?

Do you just send the complaints and pictures back to Hilton, or put them out there (TripAdvisor, Yelp, etc.) where they might help others?

Often1 Sep 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00 (Post 28823212)
while firing a customer is within their right, selling thousands of points and then closing account seems like a theft to me...

i assume for customers based in china consumer protection is rather limited too...

If it sounds like theft to you, you are simply wrong.

Don't dump on China. If this happened to a US customer who purchased the points in the US, the result would be the same.

PaulInTheSky Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 28822890)
If what you're doing is posting a series of photo-illustrated negative trip reports on social media, Hilton has probably decided you're an Internet provocateur who is too costly to keep as a customer.

If you were that unhappy with Hilton, yet continue booking Hilton and "love to take photo" of "defects" which you use to attract attention to yourselves online, Hilton has every right to conclude that:

(A) It will never be possible to satisfy you,
(B) You are mining your complaints about Hilton for public attention,
(C) You may be causing Hilton reputational damage, and
(D) it is good business for them discourage you from keeping this up.

All points and Honors program benefits are the property of the issuer and may be reclaimed or withdrawn at Hilton's discretion any time.

This is a very legitimate, reasonable, and insightful post. You have to think of the hotel FFP as business partnership. If you want to keep the business relationship with them while you stay at their hotels, any suggestions and ideas that you are going to share should be behind the doors with them first. If the hotel property does not listen, then you can weigh in whether or not you should go to social media to pursue. Nobody, an entity, an organization, or even human being would love to be under microscope for every single thing that happens to them. What you want out of social media is to show the dissatisfaction at something that you cannot get an answer from a regular protocol. Did the hotel property/corporate respond to you at all from customer care feedback? I'd suggest the next time you provide feedback, please do it through the customer care first and wait for the feedback. I'd agree that serial complainers are not easy to deal with from a corporation point of view. One thing that I cannot fully agree with other FTers is that with so many stays and nights in the hotels in a year, you are going to see something that you are not fully satisfied with, and quite frankly some hotels do not care. They would rather give you some points or compensation instead of making investments to perform renovations in the hotel property, however, what you did was you didn't seem to give Hilton enough opportunity to solve the issues with you behind the doors.

Good luck with your future business relationship of whichever hotel chain you choose.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28823854)
If it sounds like theft to you, you are simply wrong.

Don't dump on China. If this happened to a US customer who purchased the points in the US, the result would be the same.

Absolutely. Although Eujeanie brought up an issue of point thefts, people need to understand, if a company provides promotion to paparazzi so they can microscope their business strategy along the way, would the company be happy about it?

In Chinese way of saying, to better your relationship with anybody/any entity, you better provide an opportunity to others to save face. I'd say this not much different than anywhere, or anybody after all.