Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Elite Stay Credit without staying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond

Hi all,

The year end is approaching and my travel for the year has tailed off.... but I'm 2 stays shy of Diamond. I'm entertaining the idea of reserving at the cheapest Hilton property I can find without actually planning to travel and stay there, but still checking in on the app.
For example, there are some properties in Egypt or Poland that I could "stay" at for about $40/night. And I'm willing to throw $80 or so at making Diamond for next year. Does this work? Anything to be aware of? If this does work, any ultra-cheap properties to recommend?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
If you don't show up you won't get credit. You can't just check in on the app for a hotel on the other side of the world and expect to get credit.

Book a cheap place near you. Check in. Leave the keys in the room. Leave.

Neil
DiverDave, JDiver and tynmar like this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by gsimon
Hi all,

The year end is approaching and my travel for the year has tailed off.... but I'm 2 stays shy of Diamond. I'm entertaining the idea of reserving at the cheapest Hilton property I can find without actually planning to travel and stay there, but still checking in on the app.
For example, there are some properties in Egypt or Poland that I could "stay" at for about $40/night. And I'm willing to throw $80 or so at making Diamond for next year. Does this work? Anything to be aware of? If this does work, any ultra-cheap properties to recommend?

Thanks!
Not gonna happen. Don't even waste your time trying.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You're welcome to book me 2 one night stays at the Hilton Americas Houston on your dime and add me as the additional guest. I'm happy to check in and enjoy the pool, etc on your behalf. and let you keep all the points and credits, and no, I won't order room service.
tynmar likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
You're welcome to book me 2 one night stays at the Hilton Americas Houston on your dime and add me as the additional guest. I'm happy to check in and enjoy the pool, etc on your behalf. and let you keep all the points and credits, and no, I won't order room service.
And when he doesn't show and the property decides not to credit his account?? No guarantee if the primary is a no show.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: Several
I've actually had my wife stay at a hotel and I've received the night credit/points without me being there. This has happened twice. I wasn't expecting the credit/points, however it was simply easier to make the reservation with my information already on file . Both times though my wife called the hotel directly to make the reservation.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So generous! If only it weren't $150+/night .

Appreciate the guidance, all!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you have an award category 1-3 hotel nearby, you can use points to pick up your stays. "Day-use only" rates also usually pick up a stay credit and are often cheaper than overnight rates.

But as mentioned, you need to physically check in.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you have an award category 1-3 hotel nearby, you can use points to pick up your stays. "Day-use only" rates also usually pick up a stay credit and are often cheaper than overnight rates.

But as mentioned, you need to physically check in.
I have plenty of hotels near me and plenty of points... can you tell me a bit more about how to do this? Thanks!

EDIT: nevermind -- figured it out! Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by gsimon; Dec 3, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I've actually had my wife stay at a hotel and I've received the night credit/points without me being there. This has happened twice. I wasn't expecting the credit/points, however it was simply easier to make the reservation with my information already on file . Both times though my wife called the hotel directly to make the reservation.
Those were accidental. I booked a room for my nephew once and got the points, etc. That was also accidental.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It has accidentally happened to me, too - checked in online the day before but was ill and didn't fly to my destination. But as a deliberate strategy for getting stay credit, it sucks.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Do day rates count as EQN/EQS?

Every now and then, I've needed a stay for either status or to finish a big promotion. Fortunately the KC area always has cheap weekend rates. Often the mainline hotels are cheaper than the limited service brands, for reasons unknown to me. (True in both HH and Marriott/SPG.) So we go, use the pool, eat the breakfast, and have fun with it.

But yeah, you definitely gotta show up. No OLCI/Digital Key games will work.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:01 pm

If I need 10 additional nights to retain my status, can I use my 40,000 points (at a 5,000 point per property + 5th night free) to book the 10 nights and show up just for the 1st day (leaving around day 3 and not actually stay days 4-10). Will i still get credit for a 10 night stay?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:58 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
There is a risk that the hotel will check you out if they notice that you haven't been around for a few days.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with : D !. I would talk with the hotel management and explain what you are doing so that you are not checked out on day 3 or 4 when they notice that you are gone. Even then, they might not go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.