free wifi on points stay?

Old Nov 24, 17, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

free wifi on points stay?

The Hilton website states: "As a Hilton Honors member you can enjoy FREE WiFi only when you book direct."

Would anyone know if this is for paid by cash direct bookings only, or would the free wifi also be given for paid by points direct bookings?

Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 24, 17, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unlike other chains, Hilton does not do much to distinguish between paid and awards days. So, you should be just fine.
Old Nov 24, 17, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; KLM Flying Blue Gold; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Honors Diamond
I always had free WiFi for booking with cash, points or a mic car & points.
I always booked direct from app or website.
Old Nov 25, 17, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by muji View Post
The Hilton website states: "As a Hilton Honors member you can enjoy FREE WiFi only when you book direct."

Would anyone know if this is for paid by cash direct bookings only, or would the free wifi also be given for paid by points direct bookings?

Thank you in advance.
Point bookings can only be done direct, so you should be good to go. This blocking benefits if not booked direct seems a bit disingenuous to me, but it's their game and their rules.
Old Nov 26, 17, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Point bookings can only be done direct, so you should be good to go. This blocking benefits if not booked direct seems a bit disingenuous to me, but it's their game and their rules.
I am only aware of one program (IHG) that allows its members Standard Internet access regardless of booking channels. In fact, (IHG) members get Internet access even if not staying.
All other programs require booking direct for add-on incentives like free Internet access.
This is to entice guests to book direct and allow the property to save "agent / referral" fees.
This "channel restriction" of course does not apply when the rate (package) comes bundled with Internet access
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:35 am

Programs: human being triple secret platinum
Back in 2011, I remember thinking: "It's 2011. How can anyone expect 'free wifi' to be a perk anymore?"

Back in 2011.
Old Nov 27, 17, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
I am only aware of one program (IHG) that allows its members Standard Internet access regardless of booking channels. In fact, (IHG) members get Internet access even if not staying.
All other programs require booking direct for add-on incentives like free Internet access.
This is to entice guests to book direct and allow the property to save "agent / referral" fees.
This "channel restriction" of course does not apply when the rate (package) comes bundled with Internet access
I do believe SPG only requires you to be a member (and can signup upon arrival) to get the free WiFi.
Old Nov 27, 17, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
I do believe SPG only requires you to be a member (and can signup upon arrival) to get the free WiFi.
Not sure about the past but current terms on their site requires one to book through them for this benefit and the Member number must be included at least 24 hours in advance
So technically no last minute sign up even if booked through them but waiving internet charges is always up to the individual property.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: