Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cresthil By Hilton: The Predecessor to Hilton Garden Inn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cresthil By Hilton: The Predecessor to Hilton Garden Inn

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:36 pm
formerly Will Stonehocker
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sisosig
I hope nothing has been cast in concrete yet. Because the first ever property I have been able to find - trading under that name - is Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Southpointe in Canonsburg, PA. It appears to have opened in late 1990, a full year before the Cresthil-properties changed their name to HGI and more than half a year before the Detroit-Southfield (Compri)-hotel reopened as a HGI. If I had nothing else to do I would get to the bottom of it soon.
Cool story bro.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 3:58 pm

I hope nothing has been cast in concrete yet. Because the first ever property I have been able to find - trading under that name - is Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh/Southpointe in Canonsburg, PA. It appears to have opened in late 1990, a full year before the Cresthil-properties changed their name to HGI and more than half a year before the Detroit-Southfield (Compri)-hotel reopened as a HGI. If I had nothing else to do I would get to the bottom of it soon.
I wonder if that was their way of testing out a 2nd brand before deciding whether to bring them over? It was still in the CH brand infancy, so it would allow them to try out the HGI stuff and pick whichever one seemed to do better.

Honestly, Cresthil seems like the name of a 55+ planned living community.
Sisosig and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I wonder if that was their way of testing out a 2nd brand before deciding whether to bring them over? It was still in the CH brand infancy, so it would allow them to try out the HGI stuff and pick whichever one seemed to do better.

I think you might have a point.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:10 pm

Good point about Cresthil sounding like a retirement community. I am sure it was also frequently misspelled, given Hilton's unique spelling (I presume to better enable it to be a registered trade mark). This is back when people still used phone books and live travel agents and directory assistance operators. I wonder how often people were told, "I'm sorry, sir, I can find nothing listed under that name." So while "Garden Inn" is nothing to write home about, it clearly was the better name.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Good point about Cresthil sounding like a retirement community. I am sure it was also frequently misspelled, given Hilton's unique spelling (I presume to better enable it to be a registered trade mark). This is back when people still used phone books and live travel agents and directory assistance operators. I wonder how often people were told, "I'm sorry, sir, I can find nothing listed under that name." So while "Garden Inn" is nothing to write home about, it clearly was the better name.
Interesting story.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lowfareair

"Come live out your years over the hill at Cresthil... Where it's all downhill from here"

Great thread (and surprised I've never seen it before) -- I've driven by the HGI Southfield many times, considered staying a few but never have (the Embassy Suites across the freeway beat it handily on cost/value the last time I was in the immediate area, others it's been considerably farther than the nearest Hilton-family with no price advantage to justify being out of the way) -- and had always wondered how that HGI being the "first" with the uninspired-borderline brutalist exterior architecture got the "Garden" name or even was derived from/inspired by the Courtyard brand but looking at the other early properties it makes a lot more sense.

Also interesting to see the stylized and very 70s Hilton H make its appearance on the early signage

For the "Hilton Inns" red herring I had thought that at one point in the many iterations of the ultimate corporate overlord (as "Hilton Inns of America" but apparently it existed only as a franchisor for the non-major-market full-line Hiltons -- or at least I haven't found any concrete evidence indicating otherwise. Digging through it it seems like Hilton's ultimate corporate parent has changed, morphed, and been replaced with some considerable frequency over the years.
lowfareair, SPN Lifer and Sisosig like this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
"Come live out your years over the hill at Cresthil... Where it's all downhill from here"

Great thread (and surprised I've never seen it before) -- I've driven by the HGI Southfield many times, considered staying a few but never have (the Embassy Suites across the freeway beat it handily on cost/value the last time I was in the immediate area, others it's been considerably farther than the nearest Hilton-family with no price advantage to justify being out of the way) -- and had always wondered how that HGI being the "first" with the uninspired-borderline brutalist exterior architecture got the "Garden" name or even was derived from/inspired by the Courtyard brand but looking at the other early properties it makes a lot more sense.

Also interesting to see the stylized and very 70s Hilton H make its appearance on the early signage

For the "Hilton Inns" red herring I had thought that at one point in the many iterations of the ultimate corporate overlord (as "Hilton Inns of America" but apparently it existed only as a franchisor for the non-major-market full-line Hiltons -- or at least I haven't found any concrete evidence indicating otherwise. Digging through it it seems like Hilton's ultimate corporate parent has changed, morphed, and been replaced with some considerable frequency over the years.
What a fascinating piece of info.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sanFF
Just had a stay at the old CrestHil in Lancaster PA Even though the name change
occurred 30 years ago the hotel Fire Map placard on the inside door prominently said "Cresthil by Hilton"
Property was quaint and comfortable but the breakfast was worse than hospital food.
I used to go back and forth between the Eden and HGI in Lancaster, but haven’t been around recently enough to recall whether the fire escape map still had Cresthil on it. Was there an outdated rate card number on the inside door too, or did they manage to keep that updated with the name nowadays?
Old May 28, 2022, 2:27 am

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I used to go back and forth between the Eden and HGI in Lancaster, but haven’t been around recently enough to recall whether the fire escape map still had Cresthil on it. Was there an outdated rate card number on the inside door too, or did they manage to keep that updated with the name nowadays?
Do you remember if they offered parking for tractor trailers?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360123457417

hint: Scoll down to see the logo.

Last edited by Sisosig; Mar 19, 2023 at 6:19 am Reason: added hint
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
They had to update it. I mean, times change.

Do you remember if they offered parking for tractor trailers?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360123457417
A lot of hotels have to include parking for tractor trailers. Think about the amount of truck drivers that need a place to stay.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 7, 2022 at 6:07 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.