Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Hilton Golds are treated.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by studentCPH
From my last stay, it was one of the two, not both water and points..
Pathetic
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nomad420
While I agree with much of what you say I would say that indeed I am "due" points and breakfast (with the normal exceptions) as a Hilton Gold Member. Otherwise yeah, you aren't getting much.
Within the T&C, which say "no third party bookings".

Originally Posted by studentCPH
From my last stay, it was one of the two, not both water and points..
I got water, points, AND a snack at all three Hampton Inns I stayed at the last couple of months.

Apparently they aren't on brand standard.

Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete
The reason for Hilton doing this befuddles me too. I found a better deal by about 30-40% on C-Trip at the Hongqiao Hilton in Shanghai, so I booked it expecting as you did, that I could work around the hitch that Hilton had wrt using their app for booking. I was wrong--- but was offered to pay up to a much higher rate. Yeah-- saving money is important to my company, so I explained that if Ctrip could get me a lower rate, but there were no Diamond benefits, I might as well stay somewhere that had no loyalty program like the local Millenium Hotel. They gave in a bit, rebooked me at a much lower rate and I was able to get my points and benefits at a slightly elevated cost. It took me about 45 minutes standing at the desk to get this done. Not pleasant-- but it is capitalism at work.
I'm surprised they bent the rules at all. I stay here all the time and frankly am disappointed. So many service errors over the last few years. Give feedback multiple times. Yesterday was my last stay for at least awhile. I'm taking a break and staying elsewhere.
tryathlete likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
It may have to do with the rate paid, rather than the 3rd party sites.

Regardless - when you redeem award, don't expect anything other than what you have booked.
You may not have any idea how the Chase Ultimate Reward program works.
Its booking is thru OTAs and are the same way as if you booked thru Expedia or Booking.com and the like - except you pay Chase your points and depends on which card you own, your point worth 0.01 or 0.0125 or 0.015. However the hotel booking is paid by Connexions, the company Chase (and Citi too) uses to operate their travel portals. To the hotel, they do not see anything but a booking thru a 3rd party channel. There is nothing about "reward booking" to them. Period.

What the thing the OP fails to see is, he expects hotel treats him the same way as other guests booked directly thru the hotel chain, without accepting / realizing the fact that, the hotel receives LESS from his booking versus from the guests book direct. I am surprised that the OP being in the Hotel industry for decades, dont realize that the hotels must PAY the OTAs a commission as steep as 20% and up, for their listing - so right out of the bat, the OP's booking is worth 20% LESS than other guests who pay the same rates but book direct.
I would say OP is damn lucky the hotel even offers him a free breakfast that is NOT required at all. Yet he still complains. Seriously?

Marriott is the ONLY chain still generously enough to provide elite benefits but not night and stay credit. That may change down the road as all other hotel programs offer zilch to elite recognition if it is booked thru 3rd party. Who can blame the hotel when the hotel earns 20% less from you?

I am sure if things changed to the flip side, i.e. OP being the receiving end of the 20% less revenue, what would he think on providing the extra benefits?
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Generally I have been very satisfied with my treatment as a HH Gold member. Many times some hotels even cover free breakfast for more than just one guest, more often than not I have been upgraded to executive floor and sometimes when I am not upgraded they still gave me lounge access.

I always expect hotels to only give me what is listed as my benefits at the same time always happy when they really do proactively give me more to show they appreciate my business.

Regarding third party bookings - this has been the norm for awhile and the T&C is very clear. The only grey area I think Hilton should bend the rules are bookings made through a private corporate provider after all business customers are generally the ones that generates the bulk of the revenue in major cities. Makes no sense if a frequent business traveler cannot get benefits recognition because they are required by their employer to book through a corporate agent. Hilton should be able to easily discern between those booking through public 3rd party sites and private ones for purpose of elite benefits. I think they already do but I don't travel for business so I wouldn't know.

YMMV but I find Marriott much more stingy for golds and only gives exactly what benefit I get as a gold nothing more although Marriott is more generous with room upgrades.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Regarding third party bookings - this has been the norm for awhile and the T&C is very clear. The only grey area I think Hilton should bend the rules are bookings made through a private corporate provider after all business customers are generally the ones that generates the bulk of the revenue in major cities. Makes no sense if a frequent business traveler cannot get benefits recognition because they are required by their employer to book through a corporate agent. Hilton should be able to easily discern between those booking through public 3rd party sites and private ones for purpose of elite benefits. I think they already do but I don't travel for business so I wouldn't know.
As a data-point I have been encouraged and required to use my 3 different employers online booking tool for over the last 15 years since I began doing so much work related travel and have always received full points and benefits for the stays.
golfingboy likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
You may not have any idea how the Chase Ultimate Reward program works.
Its booking is thru OTAs and are the same way as if you booked thru Expedia or Booking.com and the like - except you pay Chase your points and depends on which card you own, your point worth 0.01 or 0.0125 or 0.015. However the hotel booking is paid by Connexions, the company Chase (and Citi too) uses to operate their travel portals. To the hotel, they do not see anything but a booking thru a 3rd party channel. There is nothing about "reward booking" to them. Period.

What the thing the OP fails to see is, he expects hotel treats him the same way as other guests booked directly thru the hotel chain, without accepting / realizing the fact that, the hotel receives LESS from his booking versus from the guests book direct. I am surprised that the OP being in the Hotel industry for decades, dont realize that the hotels must PAY the OTAs a commission as steep as 20% and up, for their listing - so right out of the bat, the OP's booking is worth 20% LESS than other guests who pay the same rates but book direct.
I would say OP is damn lucky the hotel even offers him a free breakfast that is NOT required at all. Yet he still complains. Seriously?

Marriott is the ONLY chain still generously enough to provide elite benefits but not night and stay credit. That may change down the road as all other hotel programs offer zilch to elite recognition if it is booked thru 3rd party. Who can blame the hotel when the hotel earns 20% less from you?

I am sure if things changed to the flip side, i.e. OP being the receiving end of the 20% less revenue, what would he think on providing the extra benefits?
The VERY few times that I have not booked direct, I immediately call the hotel, give them my reservation number, make sure my Hilton number and status are in there and have yet to have an issue......however, this is rare that I book like this so only a handful of instances to support this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:44 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
I'm generally very happy with Hilton Gold which is better than any other hotel's mid-tier. I've worked hard to keep it so as long it stays valuable to me, I'll keep pushing my way to Gold at least. Not sure if Diamond is much better, thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I'm generally very happy with Hilton Gold which is better than any other hotel's mid-tier. I've worked hard to keep it so as long it stays valuable to me, I'll keep pushing my way to Gold at least. Not sure if Diamond is much better, thoughts?
I fully agree. Very happy with the overall Gold treatment.
Diamond is OK if it happens. I have been Diamond and still Diamond, but I'll be back to Gold next year. I had great stays. From my point of view if you travel in Asia, Australia and some properties in Europe, Diamond indeed has added value; many Hilton have very nice Lounges. In the State, many UK properties, Ireland and other countries, the difference between Gold and Diamond is minimal.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Within the T&C, which say "no third party bookings".

FWIW, I was referring to when you don't use a third party to book. I am unfortunately now painfully aware of the restrictions when using third party bookings.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Diamond is not worth much and it is also free to obtain now.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I got water, points, AND a snack at all three Hampton Inns I stayed at the last couple of months.

Apparently they aren't on brand standard.
I've had a similar experience at Hampton Inns in the West, Midwest, and New England all within the past month. I've been able to get a snack each night just by asking, too.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:21 am

I'm an HGI fan, too. The HGI in Manhattan Beach, California offers one of the best breakfasts I've had at a regular Hilton property.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by nomad420
I must admit because of my LT Gold status with Hilton I still occasionally hang with the Hilton brand IF it works for me but even this fading.
I thought there was only a LT Diamond status, what's required for LT Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.