FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Just Made Diamond | What Should I Know? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1875717-just-made-diamond-what-should-i-know.html)

Tintin Nov 4, 2017 4:11 am

Just Made Diamond | What Should I Know?

Just returned from Paris and found that I made HH Diamond :D.

I know that now I will always have access to Executive Lounge. But what are the secret/undocumented/not-listed benefits?

My Diamond card in iPhone wallet shows a new phone number. This is probably the Diamond service desk.

Any thought?

Thanks,
Tintin

MP001 Nov 4, 2017 5:21 am

Congratulations!

Other than the extra bonus points (and extra points gained on some recent promotions), I mostly enjoy upgrades and executive lounges in Asia, Australia and some properties in Europe.
​​​​​
​​No much differentiation from gold in my opinion within the US market.

Enjoy.

diamond club freeloader Nov 4, 2017 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Tintin (Post 29016946)
...what are the secret/undocumented/not-listed benefits?...

The secret is that there is no secret! Best advice might be not to expect anything beyond the minimum specified benefits and, on occasions when even the minimum is not automatically provided, try not the explode with rage. :p

BrlDsguise Nov 4, 2017 6:04 am

Diamond parking at Hampton Inns.

kpbadger Nov 4, 2017 9:37 am

Some properties (like the Parc 55 in San Francisco) believe that providing "breakfast" to golds is satisfied by having a counter with a few pastries and a coffee pot that you must grab and go, and Hilton sadly lets them get away with it. These properties often let diamonds take an actual continental breakfast in the restaurant instead.

Therefore, depending on your perspective, diamond may have some value at these sorts of properties.

manneca Nov 4, 2017 9:49 am

Don't expect much in the US. If anything at all. Well, breakfast of some sort. Well, coffee and some awful fruit and a stale pastry. Most of the Hiltons where I stay in the US don't have lounges for some reason. In Asia, OTOH, it's pretty good. Lounge, full breakfast in the restaurant or lounge.

mediator Nov 4, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise (Post 29017135)
Diamond parking at Hampton Inns.

:cool: This is one of the most underrated diamond perks.

Abidjan Nov 4, 2017 10:09 am

Get out of the US and you'll be staying in style. But, within these four walls, not much.

diver858 Nov 4, 2017 10:41 am

As others have suggested: lower our expectations for stays in the US.

Diamond phone reps are generally friendly and helpful, but have limited authority, discretion to address anything other than minor issues.

Fortunate for me, I am not much of a breakfast person, so the limited benefit at some properties is typically adequate.

With that said: Diamonds do enjoy some better treatment when it comes to award redemption, accumulate more points - which are devalued on a regular basis.

lhrhappy Nov 4, 2017 12:47 pm

Lounge access and breakfast are the two main things that differentiate Diamond, in my opinion. The issue is that these benefits only apply at the Conrad, Hilton, and Doubletree brands. You won't get much if you stay at a WA (or any of the brands at the other end.)

Also, many properties don't have lounges. Expect them to cheap out on you--something like a $10 restaurant voucher for breakfast, rather than the full spread typically provided in a proper lounge. But there's no need to leave it to chance. Plenty of people complain on here, on TripAdvisor, etc. about the properties that don't treat diamonds well. Just check in advance to see whether a property has a lounge and whether the lounge provides a great breakfast, evening canapes, happy hour, etc.

timfountain Nov 4, 2017 12:58 pm

Life will continue, the sun will rise and set and birds will still sing. Honestly, expect nothing and you might, just might, get the occasional surprise. Probably my last year as HH Diamond, as there has been so much devaluation of HH status lately. In addition I see very little value in hotel loyalty, and will purchase whatever hotel is most convenient, and the room that fits my budget.

soy Nov 4, 2017 8:25 pm

.....that there will be a whole load more diamonds coming in Feb 2018 when AMEX launch the new Aspire Card :)

jamesteroh Nov 4, 2017 10:07 pm

Outside of North America you can get some nice perks with Diamond. A lot of lounges outside of NA have complimentary alcohol and decent food at Happy Hour.

In the US I wouldn't expect much. In SF the status is nice to have, both the Hilton Union Square and the Parc 55 give a lot better breakfast to diamond's than gold's. some properties will also give diamonds a hot breakfast for free.

The Hampton diamond parking is nice too.

But seeing anyone can be diamond starting in late January it's hard telling what the benefits will be like if enough people get the Aspire card.

Gold benefits declined fast at a lot of US benefits when the Citi reserve card starting giving all card holders Gold status so hopefully that won't happen to diamonds

Miesque Nov 5, 2017 10:10 am

Curb your enthusiasm and temper your expectations because you will be disappointed if you are US based (I know I was when I made that switch from Gold to Diamond several years ago and it certainly hasn't gotten any better)

defrosted Nov 5, 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by MP001 (Post 29017047)
Congratulations!

Other than the extra bonus points....
​​​​​​​Not much differentiation from gold in my opinion...

Enjoy.

This has been my experience as well since becoming diamond last month.