FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1875140-american-express-announces-two-new-hilton-credit-cards.html)

bcosinteno Oct 31, 17 10:21 pm

American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards including a Business Card

Hilton/American Express have announced two new credit cards with refreshes done to the existing card.....and NO MORE foreign transaction fees!

The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card ($450 annual fee)

14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases
Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status
One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio with your new Card and each year of Card Membership
A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
Unlimited Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
$250 Airline incidental fee statement credit
$250 Hilton resort statement credit
$100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package
Access to 24/7 American Express concierge
No foreign transaction fees
$450 annual fee

The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card ($95 annual fee)

12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service producers and U.S. purchases for shipping
6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. restaurants, flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, and car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies
3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience and get work done more easily and comfortably while waiting for a flight
$95 annual fee

The Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card ($95 annual fee - formerly known as the Surpass card)

The Hilton Surpass Card will be rebranded as Hilton Ascend Card and will include several new benefits.
12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
$95 annual fee

The Hilton Honors American Express Card (no annual fee):

7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status; Earn Gold status after spending $20,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
No annual fee

jacobguo Oct 31, 17 10:30 pm

Depending on how the "Hilton resort statement credit" works Aspire could be a no-brainer over Surpass/Ascend... which means Diamond status could get further dilated.

Hawkeyefan Oct 31, 17 11:02 pm

Now, how will Hilton visa holders translate to the new cards?

Bicoastal Yokel Oct 31, 17 11:02 pm

Yeah, I think the executive lounge is going to get a little more crowded.

pugsley21 Oct 31, 17 11:03 pm

Looks like someone is getting a shiny, new Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. :D

Kacee Oct 31, 17 11:24 pm

Agree, Aspire could be an attractive upgrade from Surpass. The math seems pretty good if you spend at least one weekend a year at a Hilton resort . . . basically free Diamond status.

Gig103 Nov 1, 17 12:24 am

At $95, the Ascend card is worth it just for the 10 Priority Pass lounge passes. They aren't all the best lounges but just about any of them is worth $9.50.

And I'm pretty amazed at all the ways the Aspire offsets the AF! $500-$600 back, plus Diamond, plus Priority Pass!

Yellowjj Nov 1, 17 12:38 am

So Diamond is $450 a year now.

https://i.imgflip.com/h386a.jpg

Gig103 Nov 1, 17 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 29002366)
So Diamond is $450 a year now.

https://i.imgflip.com/h386a.jpg

Even better - Amex is paying you $50 a year to be Diamond ($450 AF - $250 airline credit - $250 Hilton credit).

restlessinRNO Nov 1, 17 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 29002412)
Even better - Amex is paying you $50 a year to be Diamond ($450 AF - $250 airline credit - $250 Hilton credit).

Could someone clarify. The $250 airline incidental fee credit - can this be used to pay an airline ticket, or just a baggage fee or a snack on the plane? The $250 Hilton resort credit - does the Hilton hotel have to have "resort" in its name to use this credit? Can the $250 be used for the booking or only for any "resort" charges? :)

nldogbert Nov 1, 17 1:26 am

For someone that earns Diamond the hard way, this is totally unacceptable....sadly I don't have another better fallback hotel chain to go as the have limited properties or horrible "not worth it" effort to earn Elite which seems HHonors is falling into that category....sadly...:(

cce5858 Nov 1, 17 1:56 am

Curious if anyone could chime in, as this is potentially a key question:

1. Will these new products including the Ascend and Hilton Honors be considered "New Products" as sign up bonuses go?

2. Will Citi Hilton cardholders be able to keep their Citi accounts? (Grandfathered?) Or will Amex have full rights to the card products, so Citi cards will be transferred to Amex?

3. If Citi cardholders will be converted, will the best course of action be to cancel existing cards so that they do not miss out on the sign up bonus?

4. Existing Amex Surpass and Honors cardholders, would the best course of action be to cancel these cards to be able to get the new sign up bonuses (Brings back to question 1) ?

Any expert on this matter please chime in!!! Not sure how I can tag people but someone who comes to mind is @mia

Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant Nov 1, 17 1:59 am

I've got to look into how these Priority Passes work.

I had UA lounge for a long time but gave it up when I started flying Delta... is PP a straight-up pass to get in various lounges, or just a discount / coupon off the entrance fee? Can I bring in a guest, or does my wife need a separate Amex card too for entry?

Also curious about the "resort" credit. One night cert + credit could make this a good go even though initially seems silly steep.

TDM

lmwong1977 Nov 1, 17 2:00 am

Isn't the "incidental airline" thing not easy to use on the Amex end? I think I read on one of the blogs it runs on the same "rails" as heir other cards.

It's been awhile since I've looked at the platinum card threads, but I recall you had to select the airline before you charged things and there were pretty picky about what was considered eligible. Award taxes didn't count, upgrades didn't count, etc. There was talk of buying airline giftcards, but there was some updates not sure if that changed things.

Found a thread in the Amex section - not sure if they revised this again but..:

Revised terms for 2014:

Quote:
Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. For 2014 only, Card Members may update their airline selection one additional time starting on 1/15/2014 through 2/28/2014 at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Not sounding all that great if it mirrors the Platinum card, I rather it was like the CSR where it just takes just about any transit charge so you didn't have to plan and doublecheck in advance.

Really hope it's not just for resorts, rather it was just any hotel (or if one brand even) instead of this resort "type". What is on-property credit? Restaurant/spa/room service stuff? Not the actual room charges? I guess I can spend $100 of that if it'll get credited back.

Great that they finally dropped that fx. Diamond benefits seem a bit better overseas from my limited experience and I mainly use my awards overseas. But not really a huge difference in the states. Rumored Diamond+ may dilute (but who knows) so this current Diamond status could be the new Gold. Free weekend night is great since IHG and Hyatt gives you a free night (though the annual fee are much lower and Hyatt somewhat limited to 1-4 hotels).

So overall more an OK card, not a no-brainer in my eyes. From this news, I'll prob just stick with my surpass/ascend and CSR unless they clarify/loosen what it appears to be pretty strict credits.

cce5858 Nov 1, 17 2:03 am

Sucks for the non-Americans who do not have access to the Aspire card LOL and have to earn Diamond status through actual stays (who actually does this?)

VA1379 Nov 1, 17 2:13 am

The current Citi cardholders will not be converted to Amex cards. Citibank will convert those cards to other Citi credit cards since they have not sold those accounts to American Express. When Amex lost their Costco account, they sold the accounts associated with the Amex Costco card to Citibank, which is why Costco credit card holders were converted to a Citibank card from an Amex card. I’m assuming the airline credit is just like it is for the other Amex cards where people have used them for fees, upgrades and gift cards.

I have no idea how the resort credit will work, but I assume you can use it with the free weekend night for an award stay at a resort. Since Hilton resorts don’t always provide a free breakfast for diamond members, I’m sure some of the credit could be used to cover the cost of food, parking and other expenditures.

I’m going to have to consider the Aspire card for a backup status after I lose my top status with Hyatt next year. I’m currently silver with Hilton after losing diamond in April 2017, but I got a fast track offer of two stays to get gold for 2018.

mirror74 Nov 1, 17 2:57 am

Disgrace by Hilton Honors. Handing out free Diamond status to US customers, while all others have to earn it hard way... now HH Diamond is officially worthless.

maverick17 Nov 1, 17 3:00 am

Originally Posted by VA1379 (Post 29002575)
The current Citi cardholders will not be converted to Amex cards. Citibank will convert those cards to other Citi credit cards since they have not sold those accounts to American Express.

They announced at the same time as these new cards the opposite of what you're saying. Citi Hilton cards will become Amex cards.

from DoC:
No fee -> No fee
Reserve -> Ascend

There's a FAQ site up for it: http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...-card-faq.html

gav0106 Nov 1, 17 3:07 am

Originally Posted by mirror74 (Post 29002670)
Disgrace by Hilton Honors. Handing out free Diamond status to US customers, while all others have to earn it hard way... now HH Diamond is officially worthless.

Agree, Hilton need a long hard look at themselves. Whats the point of loyalty if you give it away :td:

cce5858 Nov 1, 17 3:40 am

Originally Posted by gav0106 (Post 29002693)

Agree, Hilton need a long hard look at themselves. Whats the point of loyalty if you give it away :td:

Well technically, they are paying $450 a year for the Diamond status. So its not given away. $450 is a lot of hard earned money and work LOL.

Really excited about this card, could cancel Centurion for this and get the Japan Amex Delta for Delta Medallion status.

Hilton Diamond has been great to me this year, of the roughly 15 or so stays (between 3-5 nights each) booked in the absolute cheapest room, 11 of them were upgraded to a suite. Even excluded properties like Waldorf Astoria Dubai, Conrad Tokyo, Conrad HK, Conrad Bora Bora (Overwater Bungalow upgrade of 3 categories) all gained suite upgrade automatically usually shortly after booking. Hopefully that doesn't change with the influx of new members.

gav0106 Nov 1, 17 4:19 am

Originally Posted by cce5858 (Post 29002763)
Well technically, they are paying $450 a year for the Diamond status. So its not given away. $450 is a lot of hard earned money and work LOL.

Really excited about this card, could cancel Centurion for this and get the Japan Amex Delta for Delta Medallion status.

Hilton Diamond has been great to me this year, of the roughly 15 or so stays (between 3-5 nights each) booked in the absolute cheapest room, 11 of them were upgraded to a suite. Even excluded properties like Waldorf Astoria Dubai, Conrad Tokyo, Conrad HK, Conrad Bora Bora (Overwater Bungalow upgrade of 3 categories) all gained suite upgrade automatically usually shortly after booking. Hopefully that doesn't change with the influx of new members.

Yeah, I guess will depend how many people take up the offer :D It is worth noting, from my work previous, the Hotels do know who is actually a Diamond from staying V one who has a credit card with status. It might pan out, priority is given to those who stay v those who have a status from elsewhere :confused:

cce5858 Nov 1, 17 4:25 am

Originally Posted by gav0106 (Post 29002842)
Yeah, I guess will depend how many people take up the offer :D It is worth noting, from my work previous, the Hotels do know who is actually a Diamond from staying V one who has a credit card with status. It might pan out, priority is given to those who stay v those who have a status from elsewhere :confused:

Really? Based on my experience they only see a designation code for the status, and info like my address, birthday, etc. They don't know how many points I have, or when my status expires, or my previous stays. That being said, I also have my Diamond status through AMEX, I think my actual stays would only qualify me for Silver or Gold. But DEFINITELY enjoying the many "unpublished" suite upgrades of Diamond for sure.

Yllanes Nov 1, 17 5:22 am

Originally Posted by cce5858 (Post 29002857)
Really? Based on my experience they only see a designation code for the status, and info like my address, birthday, etc. They don't know how many points I have, or when my status expires, or my previous stays.

I'm pretty sure front desks can see your previous stays (particularly your previous stays with them), but they don't often bother in many US properties. It is a minor annoyance when a hotel where you've stayed 10 times asks you whether it is your first visit.

HonorsRepresentative Nov 1, 17 5:46 am

Hilton and American Express Offer Four New Hilton Honors Co-Branded Credit Cards

Hi all,

Excited to share the details of the upgraded Hilton Honors American Express co-branded credit card portfolio, featuring four new cards: the no-annual-fee Hilton Honors American Express Card, the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card, the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card and the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card. The benefits and services for each of the four new Cards were designed based on extensive consumer and small business research.

More details on the benefits of each card are included below. You can also visit here to sign up for updates about the new Hilton Honors American Express Cards launching January 2018.

Hilton Honors American Express Card
• 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. grocery stores, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
• 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on all other eligible purchases
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status; Earn Gold status after spending $20,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• No foreign transaction fees
• No annual fee
Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
• 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at U.S. grocery stores, U.S. restaurants, and U.S. gas stations
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
• One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
• 10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
• $95 annual fee
Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
• 12X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. gas stations, wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service producers and U.S. purchases for shipping
• 6X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on U.S. restaurants, flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, and car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status; Earn Diamond status after spending $40,000 in purchases on the card in a calendar year
• One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $15, 000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• 10 free Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience and get work done more easily and comfortably while waiting for a flight
• $95 annual fee
Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
• 14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
• 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
• 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases
• Complimentary Hilton Honors Diamond status
• One Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio with your new Card and each year of Card Membership
• A second Weekend Night Reward at a hotel or resort in the Hilton portfolio after spending $60,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year
• Unlimited Priority Pass™Lounge passes to ease the airport experience
• $250 Airline incidental fee statement credit
• $250 Hilton resort statement credit
• $100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package
• Access to 24/7 American Express concierge
• $450 annual fee
For those with Citi cards - on January 30, 2018, all open and eligible no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Cards will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Card. All open and eligible Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Cards will be replaced with the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. Until then, cardmembers should continue to make purchases on their Citi Hilton Honors Card. Please click here for more information.

Feel free to send over any other questions you might have.

Thanks!
Lauren

milesmilesmiles Nov 1, 17 5:59 am

Hmmm.. is the first time you could "buy" Diamond status for the lowish price of $450?

• $450 annual fee

MountainGuy Nov 1, 17 6:03 am

Not happy that my diamond status with 111 nights this year can just be gotten with a credit card next year, but honestly I've pretty much stopped staying at hiltons in the US. While I've been treated *very* well overseas as a diamond, even at full Hilton's here it's completely hit or miss that they even acknowledge status.

That said, I'll get the card next year. I had planned on doing 30 stays next year anyway to get diamond with the least amount of time spent on property. SPG has treated me FAR better, and for where I've been staying I like it better.

Of course this week I'm staying at a soulless Courtyard, which just reinforces that for me that Marriott is bottom of my list. I hope SPG continues in some form or fashion, or that since Hyatt is evidently hiring all former SPG people that they become what SPG is now. I'll keep pushing for the 10 years of diamond to get lifetime, but I'm not a fan of this move by them.

mikesyr18 Nov 1, 17 6:04 am

Originally Posted by bcosinteno (Post 29002087)

The Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card ($450 annual fee)

14X Hilton Honors Bonus Points at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio worldwide
7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on flights booked directly with airlines or amextravel.com, car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies and at U.S. restaurants
3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points on other purchases

14x is great at Hilton properties. I have to wonder what AMEX was thinking when they decided to exclude grocery and gas station purchases from their 7x category? Those are major purchase categories for most people. I guess you could combine this card with the no AF Hilton Honors card, but I'd rather just have one card instead of two.

They should've raised the categories to 14x/10x/5x with two free nights a year without a spending requirement, plus the $250 credits and I would've been on board with this card...

bmrisko Nov 1, 17 6:07 am

Well, I guess Diamond just became even more devalued...hopefully the HH lounges don't start becoming super crowded like Centurion airport lounges.

TTT103 Nov 1, 17 6:26 am

So in January I'll end up with three Ascend cards. Yikes! I wonder if I'll also receive three anniversary free weekend night certificates after the year is up.

arlflyer Nov 1, 17 6:31 am

I'm usually not quick to get worked up about these things, but I don't see a scenario here that bodes well for Diamonds who actually earn through staying at properties.

I liked the analogy that someone else used recently - Honors has become the Southwest Rapid Rewards of hotel programs. Not going to be any real perks for loyalty, just a kickback in terms of points.

I guess they're just betting that that those few marginal points per dollar will be worth something to someone, moreso than the value of the devalued perks they'll be losing.

bmrisko Nov 1, 17 6:37 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 29003177)
I'm usually not quick to get worked up about these things, but I don't see a scenario here that bodes well for Diamonds who actually earn through staying at properties.

I liked the analogy that someone else used recently - Honors has become the Southwest Rapid Rewards of hotel programs. Not going to be any real perks for loyalty, just a kickback in terms of points.

I guess they're just betting that that those few marginal points per dollar will be worth something to someone, moreso than the value of the devalued perks they'll be losing.

Yup...my wife has been hitting Diamond through stays alone for the past few years and we have a glut of points built up. I think once we burn them on a nice vacation it may be worth time to think of a shift in where she stays while on the road. She has already mentioned to me that upgrades seem to be less common and Exec lounges are feeling a bit more crowded.

BrlDsguise Nov 1, 17 6:39 am

I currently have the Citi Hilton Reserve, anniversary date 8/1 and I have already earned a free night with over $10K spending since my anniversary date. If I spend $15K on my new Amex card between 2/1 and 8/1 will I earn another free night?

If the answer is no the first free night certificate I would receive from Amex would be in August 2020 (since I would earn it by spending $15K between 8/18 and 8/19) and by then I would have paid Amex $285 in annual fees.

bitterproffit Nov 1, 17 6:40 am

I have had the Hilton card through Citi since 2001, and the Reserve Card from Citi for 3 or 4 years. Now, this card is going to switch to the Ascend Card. While I am pleased there is no Foreign Transaction Fee, there is a reduction in benefits. Under the Reserve Card, there was a free weekend certificate for $10,000 spend. Under the Ascend Card, the spend is $15,000 for the same benefit. This represents a significant deterioration of benefit due to Hilton moving their business from Citi to exclusively Amex.

MASTERNC Nov 1, 17 6:43 am

Originally Posted by bitterproffit (Post 29003215)
I have had the Hilton card through Citi since 2001, and the Reserve Card from Citi for 3 or 4 years. Now, this card is going to switch to the Ascend Card. While I am pleased there is no Foreign Transaction Fee, there is a reduction in benefits. Under the Reserve Card, there was a free weekend certificate for $10,000 spend. Under the Ascend Card, the spend is $15,000 for the same benefit. This represents a significant deterioration of benefit due to Hilton moving their business from Citi to exclusively Amex.

Agreed. The higher spend threshold definitely changes the math as to which card I use for my regular spend. I'll keep the card for Gold status and category spend, but that's about it.

Also, would have liked to see free Boingo like on the SPG card.

mia Nov 1, 17 6:56 am

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 29003161)
So in January I'll end up with three Ascend cards. .

Not necessarily. American Express is not buying all of the account from Citi:

American Express and Citi are evaluating which Citi Hilton Honors Card accounts are eligible to automatically transfer to American Express on January 30, 2018
...the evaluation will certainly include creditworthiness, but they may also exclude card accounts that would result in duplicates. American Express might also decline to purchase accounts that would put an individual over the five credit card limit. If a specific card account is not transferred I would expect Citi to convert it to a ThankYou or cashback product.

Originally Posted by cce5858 (Post 29002538)
1. Will these new products including the Ascend and Hilton Honors be considered "New Products" as sign up bonuses go?

2. Will Citi Hilton cardholders be able to keep their Citi accounts?

3. If Citi cardholders will be converted, will the best course of action be to cancel existing cards so that they do not miss out on the sign up bonus?

4. Existing Amex Surpass and Honors cardholders, would the best course of action be to cancel these cards to be able to get the new sign up bonuses (Brings back to question 1) ?

1. In recent years American Express has not treated refreshed cards as new products for application bonus purposes. The Business Card and Aspire are certainly new. Ascend could go either way, because of the name change. The free card is not new.

2. Most Citi Honors card accounts will be sold to American Express.

3 & 4. The best course will depend on your specific circumstances and objectives. Bear in mind that American Express (USA) limits most individuals to a maximum of four or five credit cards, plus charge cards. All of the Delta, Hilton, and Starwood products (personal and business) are credit cards.

arlflyer Nov 1, 17 6:57 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko (Post 29003199)
Yup...my wife has been hitting Diamond through stays alone for the past few years and we have a glut of points built up. I think once we burn them on a nice vacation it may be worth time to think of a shift in where she stays while on the road. She has already mentioned to me that upgrades seem to be less common and Exec lounges are feeling a bit more crowded.

Yeah, I've recently gone over to SPG/Marriott after years as a Hilton purist and have been extremely impressed by the level and delivery of the non-points benefits.

dgparent Nov 1, 17 7:07 am

I have given up on Hilton and switched most of my stays to SPG, at least they try to give you a upgrade + free breaky at most places I go anyway. I never got upgraded in the US as a diamond.

linsj Nov 1, 17 7:17 am

Finally, a business card!

Need Nov 1, 17 7:23 am

Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles (Post 29003077)
Hmmm.. is the first time you could "buy" Diamond status for the lowish price of $450?

• $450 annual fee

You mean you get paid $50 and a weekend Cert to become a Diamond? :D I could easily spend the $250 Resort credit and $250 incidental, and the weekend cert is worth at least $200. I would probably have kept the conversion to the Ascent card from my Citi Reserve, but now I am going to cancel the Reserve card and apply for the Aspire card.

FC flyer Nov 1, 17 7:34 am

Does the unlimited Priority Pass include any guests?