Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Yes, they are different cards.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Assuming you never had the Surpass card before, then yes.

If you had the Surpass card before, then no, because Ascend is essentially Surpass renamed.
What if I already have the Ascend card and want to apply for Aspire? Can I hold both, and can I get the Aspire sign up bonus points?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
What if I already have the Ascend card and want to apply for Aspire? Can I hold both, and can I get the Aspire sign up bonus points?
Yes
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:16 pm

Yeah, still get the "data currently unavailable" when I go to try and select my airline. This type of error (in the benefits section) has been occurring for months at least, IIRC. You'd think they'd fix it....
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I couldn't find if this had been mentioned in this thread or in another one before but just a heads up to the following IF you upgrade your Ascend to the Aspire:

1. A month or so ago I reached the $15k spending requirement on my then ASCEND card to get the Free Weekend Night.
2. I received an email with the voucher number on it for the free night which I luckily printed.
3. I upgraded from the ASCEND to the ASPIRE a couple of weeks after I had met the $15k spend on the Ascend card.
4. At first the Free Weekend Night Voucher number was still listed on the AMEX website under the account.
5. Yesterday all signs of the Free Weekend Night Voucher number disappeared from the website under the account and all I can see is the $60k spend objective for a free night that comes with the Ascend.

So...if you plan on upgrading and have the free night voucher from the $15k Ascend spend in your account....keep the email or a screenshot of the voucher number somewhere safe as it will completely disappear from your Amex account on their website!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Originally Posted by trouble747
Yeah, still get the "data currently unavailable" when I go to try and select my airline. This type of error (in the benefits section) has been occurring for months at least, IIRC. You'd think they'd fix it....
Same here.
Are people having success by calling in (to the "number on the back of the [Aspire] card") and making the request that way instead?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:54 pm

Do you actually have the new number? Your post didn't make that clear.

The new number should be on your card, but if it isn't, you need to get it from Amex (voice call or chat). Then call up Hilton and tell them what happened. You want to communicate with Hilton in an interactive environment, which is why is suggest calling rather than emailing.

I seem to recall having had such an issue well over a decade ago, and I was able to resolve it back then with a couple phone calls. (This was so long ago, I'm not sure if Amex had online chat yet back then.)

You have to get two things to happen: You have to get Amex to switch to using your existing number (presumably first), and you have to get HH to merge the new account into your existing account. I you do HH merge before you get Amex to use your new account, the problem could recur if you do it at the wrong time (relative to the next time Amex sends points to HH), so that's why I suggest you get it fixed on the Amex side first (but get the new number from Amex, if you don't have it on your card, before any other step).
It seems the issue was with the maintenance going on. I chatted again with them today and the transfer was done in 5 minutes!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:16 pm

There's been several offers for cardholders sent out recently, I've personally received a couple of them (e.g., receive 10,000 points after $1000 spend). Any idea how long those bonus points usually take to post after spending requirements met?

(I know what the T&C says, but I've seen a lot of variance with other non-Hilton Amex cards.)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:51 pm

Can’t help yet but should be able to soon. Passed the spend thresholds on the 11th and 13th and statement closed on the 16th. Points from statement posted today, but no bonus yet.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I did.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Got an email reminder for the current promotion (150k bonus points) to upgrade from Ascend to Aspire.

The upgrade process was 2 steps. The confirmation page didn’t include a confirmation number or any mention of approval; it just said “your cards will arrive in 7-10 days”. I didn’t receive any confirmation email either. I did keep screenshots.

I also receive a notification any time a new credit inquiry is made and I’ve received no such communication.

Is this similar to other peoples’ experiences?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aww3583
Got an email reminder for the current promotion (150k bonus points) to upgrade from Ascend to Aspire.

The upgrade process was 2 steps. The confirmation page didn’t include a confirmation number or any mention of approval; it just said “your cards will arrive in 7-10 days”. I didn’t receive any confirmation email either. I did keep screenshots.

I also receive a notification any time a new credit inquiry is made and I’ve received no such communication.

yes. I do not expect a credit hit for this upgrade.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583

Yes. Within a day or so (in my case late on the same day when I did the upgrade in the early morning), your online account should update to say you have Aspire. At that point, you can start doing purchases that count toward the minimum spend requirement. (Purchases made before your account shows Aspire online may not count, according to the Amex rep I spoke with right after upgrading.)

Once your account shows Aspire, there will be a online clock on your home Aspire page which shows purchases toward an extra free night (requires $60k spend). Even if you're not aiming for that $60k spend, that clock is very useful, since it shows (if you hover over it) your total purchases since you upgraded to Aspire, and that's the same amount that needs to get to $4k for the 150k upgrade bonus. So in essence you've got upgrade bonus progress clock, even if it's not called that. @:-)

Meanwhile, since your credit limit hasn't changed, there's no need for Amex to do a hard inquiry. (Chase doesn't do hard inquiries on card upgrades which don't involve credit limit change either.)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Yes. Within a day or so (in my case late on the same day when I did the upgrade in the early morning), your online account should update to say you have Aspire. At that point, you can start doing purchases that count toward the minimum spend requirement. (Purchases made before your account shows Aspire online may not count, according to the Amex rep I spoke with right after upgrading.)

Once your account shows Aspire, there will be a online clock on your home Aspire page which shows purchases toward an extra free night (requires $60k spend). Even if you're not aiming for that $60k spend, that clock is very useful, since it shows (if you hover over it) your total purchases since you upgraded to Aspire, and that's the same amount that needs to get to $4k for the 150k upgrade bonus. So in essence you've got upgrade bonus progress clock, even if it's not called that. @:-)

Meanwhile, since your credit limit hasn't changed, there's no need for Amex to do a hard inquiry. (Chase doesn't do hard inquiries on card upgrades which don't involve credit limit change either.)
Excellent info. Thank you! I logged into my AMEX this morning and saw the updated "Aspire" information including the $60k clock. Less than 24-hour turnaround. Impressive!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
Anyone have any issues of a charge not being credited the correct amount of points? I have the Ascend card, so I should be earning 6x points on all restaurants. I ate at the same restaurant twice in the last month and both charges on my statement only credit me with the standard 3x points. It was not at a hotel/non-stand alone restaurant or any of the other common billing technicalities that would make the charge show as a non-restaurant. Even my AMEX account shows the charge categorized as a "restaurant". To my knowledge this is the first problem I have had with this issue.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by rcmiller
Anyone have any issues of a charge not being credited the correct amount of points? I have the Ascend card, so I should be earning 6x points on all restaurants. I ate at the same restaurant twice in the last month and both charges on my statement only credit me with the standard 3x points. It was not at a hotel/non-stand alone restaurant or any of the other common billing technicalities that would make the charge show as a non-restaurant. Even my AMEX account shows the charge categorized as a "restaurant". To my knowledge this is the first problem I have had with this issue.
At the bottom of your statement, below points earned, does it show a section for "U.S. Restaurants?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.