Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
This would not be the first time I might have completely lost track of time, but how is it you are already on a second-year renewal? I thought that Aspire only came out in January 2018 or thereabouts.
I clarified this a few times earlier, it's a converted Citi card.

Card converted Citi -> Ascend early this year (already met 2017 Citi spend requirements) = Cert # 1
Upgraded Ascend -> Aspire mid 2018 (paid pro-rated annual fee) = Cert # 2
2018 Aspire Renewal ($450) = Cert # 3

The extra awesome part is I used the $250 resort credit after the card converted in the spring, and now that my card renewed I'm eligible again, since now I'm in a new "card year"

This card rocks
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:04 pm

Without going through nearly 1500 posts I would like to ask if there has been a concensus at which airlines the airline credit of $ 250.00 can be applied for
purchase of gift cards. Not sure if that should be advertised publicly. Maybe someone can guide me to relevant posts. i just converted my regular Hilton card
to the Aspire card, but of course without the 100k bonus, sad to say.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Without going through nearly 1500 posts I would like to ask if there has been a concensus at which airlines the airline credit of $ 250.00 can be applied for
purchase of gift cards. Not sure if that should be advertised publicly. Maybe someone can guide me to relevant posts. i just converted my regular Hilton card
to the Aspire card, but of course without the 100k bonus, sad to say.
1. Delta---I actually have experience and can verify
2. Southwest
3. American

Visit https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...p-rewards-410/

They have dedicated threads and data points for each airline, but if you still have questions, let me know. Since I already maxed out my reimbursement through Delta on both the Amex Aspire and Platinum, I haven't been following things that closely. Good luck.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Sep 10, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
1. Delta---I actually have experience and can verify
2. Southwest
3. American

Visit https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...p-rewards-410/

They have dedicated threads and data points for each airline, but if you still have questions, let me know. Since I already maxed out my reimbursement through Delta on both the Amex Aspire and Platinum, I haven't been following things that closely. Good luck.
Thanks a lot. I wasn't aware that the reimbursement criteria is the same all through the AMEX lineup. Good to know. Appreciate your insight.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Sep 10, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
$250 resort credit only after RENEWING?

just got the card today....i thought i got it every year,

while on the website i saw this, it says UPON RENEWAL

Your next vacation is closer than you think with a $250 Hilton Resort credit.
Upon renewal of your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, enjoy $250 in Hilton Resort Credits each year when you stay at a participating resort within the Hilton portfolio.‡
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Thanks a lot. I wasn't aware that the reimbursement criteria is the same all through the AMEX lineup. Good to know. Appreciate your insight.
No problem. When the Aspire first came out in January, there was speculation that the reimbursement criteria could be the same, but no one could say conclusively until people got the card, chose the airline, and attempted to get reimbursed. Now that the card has been out there for over 7 months, I can say with confidence that the Platinum and Aspire credits work similarly with regard to the 3 airlines mentioned.

Also, the Aspire is probably one of the only cards that I would've applied for even without a signup bonus, since it has been easy for me to earn back the annual fee based on the credits, free weekend night, and diamond benefits.
I almost felt bad when I went to Europe recently and was fawned over by hotel management for being a Diamond, offered gifts, and breakfast. I don't know of any other airline or hotel partner that will award their top status for simply holding a credit card, yet it has caused me to shift quite a few stays to them solely for the breakfast and other benefits.

I don't see you regretting your decision.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by broncophil

Upon renewal of your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, enjoy $250 in Hilton Resort Credits each year when you stay at a participating resort within the Hilton portfolio.‡
Unless the terms have been changed recently, you will definitely be eligible for the $250 resort credit when you open the card and also when you renew it the following years, by paying the annual fee. I got the card in January and used the $250 resort credit in March and my free weekend night in September. Your weekend night should arrive separately in 8-10 weeks.

When I renew the card in January of 2019, I should get a new resort credit and free weekend night.

I also checked:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/hilton-honors-aspire/

The language validates that you should get the $250 resort credit every year.

With your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card, enjoy up to $250 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Hilton Resorts.‡
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Does anyone have experience with AMEX warning message before application. I was believe I shown that warning message wrongly as I've never had any AMEX Hilton card and 0 AMEX card opened in the past 24 month, only HHonor card I've had was the Citi HH no AF card back in 2014 which was PC'd to double cash in 2015. My relationship with AMEX goes back to 2015 when I opened EDP card and that is the only AMEX card I have at the moment, I have also had AMEX plat for 2 years and closed that earlier in May this year.

I did not proceed with my application once that message appeared so my question is has someone seen that message incorrectly, should I call AMEX and has someone in the same boat successfully resolved this ?

The warning message roughly said "rtgta, based on your history with American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive this welcome offer. We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Edit- Update incase someone encounter similar issues.
I first tried chatting with CSR and he acknowledged that I donot have a HHonors card and by reviewing my account informed me I should be eligible for the bonus but he recommended that I lodge phone application which I did but nada. Phone rep put me on hold for ~60 minute during which I was transferred to two departments. Finally I spoke to a nice lady from 'global application team' she accepted that there might be technical glitch as there was no reason she could see that makes me ineligible for the card. She also informed me that subsequent applications (I tried applying for Aspire then Ascend online and finally Aspire over the phone) received same error because if the system glitches once same information is retained for 30 days. She has created a ticket and recommended me not to apply until they resolve this.

Last edited by rtgta; Sep 11, 2018 at 11:28 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:23 am

Data point on Citi converted $10k night.
Charge exceeding $10k spend posted on 9/12.
Hilton App points activity shows "Amex Ascend (via Citi) Weekend Night 10k" as of 9/17.
Planning to pass $15k in a few days. Renewal date is early December. Debating upgrading to a second aspire card.... Might get a third night immediately if I do that. Have to figure out how to use the 5 nights I'll have
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by broncophil

First year and then again upon renewal.
Checking out the terms it says:
"During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $250 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date."

I think part of the differences in the way this is written is that this, like the free night, are based on anniversary of your card, and the airline is based on a calendar year.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Has there been any indication of how long the higher sign-up bonuses are going to stick around?

Here's the situtation I am in and I don't know what I should do:
- Have the NO Fee HH AMEX from years ago but do not use it.
- Got the HH Ascend card under the promo that ran last year where I got 100k for the sign-up and spend, 1 Free weekend night for the renewal after one year and potential to earn 1 additional Free weekend night for spending $15k on the card. The one free night at renewal was a special offer that I applied under.
- Want to take advantage of the 150k bonus on the Aspire card (would do the upgrade for the NO fee HH card I have) but this would likely mean that I do NOT make the $15k spend on the Ascend card for the Free weekend night bonus due to the spend requirement on the new Aspire application.

What to do?
- If the consensus is that the 150k bonus isn't sticking around for long it seems I should bite the bullet and apply for the Aspire and loose the potential $15k spend free night. (I've got $7k to go since I just decided to go for it 2 months ago.)
- If the bonus is likely to stick around till 2019 then I will try and finish my $15k spend on the Aspire and get the Ascend in 2019.

What would others do? Am I missing something? Diamond via the Aspire seems appealing since I am disgusted with MR/SPG right now after being loyal to SPG for years. I will make Lifetime Platinum Premier by the end of the year so that is guaranteed and giving Hilton some revenue next year since I don't have to worry about requalifying with MR/SPG seems like a good idea. Diamond would seem to help but I also have Gold via the Ascend.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Has there been any indication of how long the higher sign-up bonuses are going to stick around?

Here's the situtation I am in and I don't know what I should do:
- Have the NO Fee HH AMEX from years ago but do not use it.
- Got the HH Ascend card under the promo that ran last year where I got 100k for the sign-up and spend, 1 Free weekend night for the renewal after one year and potential to earn 1 additional Free weekend night for spending $15k on the card. The one free night at renewal was a special offer that I applied under.
- Want to take advantage of the 150k bonus on the Aspire card (would do the upgrade for the NO fee HH card I have) but this would likely mean that I do NOT make the $15k spend on the Ascend card for the Free weekend night bonus due to the spend requirement on the new Aspire application.

What to do?
- If the consensus is that the 150k bonus isn't sticking around for long it seems I should bite the bullet and apply for the Aspire and loose the potential $15k spend free night. (I've got $7k to go since I just decided to go for it 2 months ago.)
- If the bonus is likely to stick around till 2019 then I will try and finish my $15k spend on the Aspire and get the Ascend in 2019.

What would others do? Am I missing something? Diamond via the Aspire seems appealing since I am disgusted with MR/SPG right now after being loyal to SPG for years. I will make Lifetime Platinum Premier by the end of the year so that is guaranteed and giving Hilton some revenue next year since I don't have to worry about requalifying with MR/SPG seems like a good idea. Diamond would seem to help but I also have Gold via the Ascend.
I would say go for the Aspire. $4K in spending gets you 150K and the free night, v $7K in spend on the Ascend getting you the free night.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Not exactly the question, but I believe that if you upgrade you would still at least receive the one free night certificate bonus at one year anniversary despite upgrading the Ascend (former Surpass) to Aspire.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:58 am

So I just hit 42k on my Amex Ascend since I got it. My last payment was paid on the 30th (so all that 42k has been paid off). Does it really day 2+ months to get Diamond Status from that point? According to Amex's website. I know I will have it all of 2019, but I'm losing October and November and maybe December.

"You may receive an upgrade to Hilton Honors Diamond status if the total eligible purchases on your Card Account during a calendar year reach $40,000 or more. A calendar year is from January 1 to December 31 regardless of when you open your Card Account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.

This upgrade to Diamond status benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member; however, eligible purchases made by Additional Card Members will contribute to the purchase requirement.
It will take about 10-12 weeks after the total eligible purchases level is reached for your Hilton Honors Diamond status to become effective."

Your upgrade to Hilton Honors Diamond status is valid for the calendar year in which it was earned and the subsequent calendar year. Your Diamond status will expire after that subsequent calendar year unless your total eligible purchases in that subsequent calendar year again qualifies you for Diamond status, or if you qualify for Diamond status under the Hilton Honors program terms.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
It doesn't normally take that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.