Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
If only 2 room types are available, then you get to choose from those 2 room types.
Now I understand what you said before, slow this morning.

But it would be my choice, they couldn't say "you have to take the queen room", which is my concern.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hilton Honors
Hi Amex experts,

My sister just opened the basic Hilton Amex in order to quickly earn some points towards a family vacation in March we just decided to take. Her husband is listed as an authorized user. They don't travel a lot, so the cards with the annual fee make no sense. My questions are 1) Would Amex let her husband open his own basic hilton card? 2) If he did, would Hilton give them trouble about pooling the points? I know this was happening a bit when points pooling first became an option.

Thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have a very specific question about the $15,000 spend free weekend night certificate with the Ascend card.

What "exactly" is a standard room?

For example, if you go by "Standard Room Rewards" on a points basis, the same hotel can be asking 40,000 pts for a Queen Room, a King Room, or a room with Two Doubles. When you redeem your free weekend night certificate, do you get to choose which of those you want?
It's not a standard room, it's a Standard Room Reward. A Standard Room Reward is simply any room reward which is not a Premium Room Reward.

If you go to some hotels, you'll that some rooms are for example 40000 points (which is the Standard Room Reward rate), and then other rooms are much higher, and listed as Premier Room Reward. (Premium Room Rewards rates don't tend to be same round numbers that Standard Room Rewards, since I think they're based off of the exact cost of the room, which is not quite the case with Standard Room Rewards.)

So it's the Room Reward, not the room itself, which is either Standard or Premium. I think the hotel decides which room types it puts into which category, For some hotels only one room type is in the Standard Room Reward category, for other hotels several room types are.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
The $450 fee is the best option card?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Just received my free Aspire reward night exactly 10 weeks after I was approved for the card. I just paid my first statement’s balance on Saturday. Maybe that triggered it.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
It can be, especially if you can make use of enough of the credits (up to $250 "airline incidentals" credit, up to $250 resort credit) to make it a "net negative" annual fee, even before the free night cert. But even if you can't max out both of those credits, factoring in the free night cert, which less-costly cards don't give, may do that too.

But, OTOH, if you can't make use of either $250 credit, and you're not likely to stay at a hotel that costs over $350 (including taxes) with that free weekend night cert, and Diamond over Gold doesn't make that much "real world" difference given you travel pattern, then it might not be as good an option as the $95 Ascend.

So there's no one answer for everyone.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I wish it had the 6X for groceries.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I downgraded Surpass to the no fee, then upgraded that to Aspire a few months later. Annual fee just hit - only $225 . . . anyone else only get charged a half fee?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I downgraded Surpass to the no fee, then upgraded that to Aspire a few months later. Annual fee just hit - only $225 . . . anyone else only get charged a half fee?
It's your lucky day. I was charged $450 with my first month's Aspire statement. I also have Ascend card, transferred from prior Chase CC.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I wish it had the 6X for groceries.
The Ascend is now my go-to grocery card. Aspire not having a grocery category is so annoying
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos

The Ascend is now my go-to grocery card. Aspire not having a grocery category is so annoying
The no fee gives you 5x groceries (better than 3), so you could use that for groceries and the Aspire for everything else.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
It's really a YMMV situation by person.

For me it was a no brainer. I just used my two free nights (one from the sign up bonus for this card and another I had from my spend on my Citi Card) this past weekend at the Hilton Opera Paris. The rate was around 470EU a night and the diamond desk was able to allow me to use it Friday and Saturday night so the free night alone was more than the $450 annual fee. So I'm literally getting cash back this year on this card on just the free night and I received $250 in airline credits. And if I go to Vegas this year as much as I hate the Trop, I'll stay there for the resort fee since that will be almost a free stay with the credit.

I'm hoping the new SPG Am Ex that rolls out next year is this sweet of a deal.

If you never fly and never stay at expensive Hiltons card may not be the best fit, especially since diamond status isn't worth much in the US (outside of North America if the hotel has a lounge there can be a big difference).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm hoping the new SPG Am Ex that rolls out next year is this sweet of a deal.
We already know the terms. It's not.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I was charged even less - $150 then a $25 credit to offset that. I was a Surpass cardholder for years and converted to Aspire a couple of months ago.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
We already know the terms. It's not.
When did they publish the terms of the new premium SPG card? I thought it wasn't going to be announced until closer at year end? I remember some people predicting that the premium SPG card would give platinum status at SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.