Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by escape4
I called again today and still no upgrade offer, unlike what I was told a month ago. So I cancelled my Ascend card and I will apply for Aspire to get the 100k.
Originally Posted by diver858
Curious - other than paying a second AF, is there another reason to first cancel the Ascend card? I too am waiting for an upgrade offer to jump to Aspire, no longer have a need for my Ascend, can wait several months more before there is a need for the Aspire benefits. Perhaps a downgrade to no AF card, rather than outright cancellation will trigger a better upgrade offer?
UPDATE Called AMEX, ended up downgrading the Ascend to $0 AF card.
Agent reports targeted upgrade offers are typically sent out every 6 months, AMEX is still struggling to process former Citi Hilton cardmembers, which has delayed offers for current Hilton cardholders.
In regard to my question above: Agent reports prior upgrade offers for would include multiple options - such as Green to Gold or Platinum - with different fee structures, bonus offers.
I too have been waiting for upgrade offer to Aspire... nada. No emails or online offers. Sad that. I'd like to have Diamond status for the summer. Sad the $250 is only for resorts... rarely stay in those. Hopefully can make back AF via Airline credits and 1 free night. And of course the perk is Diamond status

I guess I will have to call to "cancel" and then see if they'll provide an upgrade offer to Aspire instead. If not, will actually cancel and re-apply for Aspire with 100k bonus.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:01 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I too have been waiting for upgrade offer to Aspire... nada. No emails or online offers. Sad that. I'd like to have Diamond status for the summer. Sad the $250 is only for resorts... rarely stay in those. Hopefully can make back AF via Airline credits and 1 free night. And of course the perk is Diamond status

I guess I will have to call to "cancel" and then see if they'll provide an upgrade offer to Aspire instead. If not, will actually cancel and re-apply for Aspire with 100k bonus.
When I explained that I was told before to call back in April to find out about offers, they said no offer, I asked to cancel and they said no problem. No offers, that was not a bluff.
I promptly re-applied and the 100k bonus is in my HH account!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by rebelx
When I called in, I provided my certificate numbers to the representative. I also told him that I was waiting on my third certificate, but I did not have it yet. So what he did was book me a 3 night stay, using 2 of the certificates, and placing an authorization charge on one of my cards for the third night. He said when I get the third night certificate, to call back, and they'll switch the payment from the card to the certificate.

The reason that I had to do it this way was to make sure that the standard award room remained available (i.e. "on hold" for me) until I get the certificate.
Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
My certificate for the free night for the Aspire card was in my email today
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
When I explained that I was told before to call back in April to find out about offers, they said no offer, I asked to cancel and they said no problem. No offers, that was not a bluff.
I promptly re-applied and the 100k bonus is in my HH account!
This is great to know. So when I call to cancel Ascend... if they don't make me an offer to upgrade, you are saying I can cancel and then just apply for Aspire and can work towards the 100k bonus offer via spend? One is eligible for that bonus even if you hold Ascend?

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Apr 19, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is great to know. So when I call to cancel Ascend... if they don't make me an offer to upgrade, you are saying I can cancel and then just apply for Aspire and can work towards the 100k bonus offer via spend? One is eligible for that bonus even if you hold Ascend?
Yes. Aspire is a completely new credit card and everyone is eligible for the new account bonus. You don't even have to cancel your Ascend, they are not related.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Yes. Aspire is a completely new credit card and everyone is eligible for the new account bonus. You don't even have to cancel your Ascend, they are not related.
Thanks, good to know.

I have no need for multiple cards like this... I actually have 2 Ascend cards (one I got direct and one from Citi that transferred). No point in keeping 3 cards for me. I'll cancel the two Ascends. I think Amex has a cap at 4 cards (although I've also heard it could be 5)... may need to cancel one Ascend before applying. Assuming they do have a cap - any idea how quickly their system recognizes I have one less card after cancelling?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Unless you are going to use the Ascend card, it makes sense to downgrade to no AF; not only will you receive a prorated refund, but AMEX will likely make targeted Ascend upgrade offers.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
That is correct. If you have Ascend, cancel it, then apply for Aspire, spend $4k, and then 100k pts is yours!

Amex does not allow cancel & re-apply to get the bonus a second time when it's the same card, but in this case they consider Aspire to be a different card so you can get the Aspire bonus.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I just cancelled my first of 6 Hilton cards today. It was an Ascend with the annual fee due. I too was hoping that I would see some upgrade offers but have seen none, so will be trimming my cards going forward in order to eventually be able to get new credit cards from AMEX (with today's cancellation, I am down to 7). One possibility I am thinking for a reason why no upgrade offers is because we are way over the maximum number of cards allowed but maybe nobody is getting any offers.
Nobody has yet reported getting upgrade offers (that give points) from Ascend to Aspire.

Lots of people are getting upgrade offers (that give points) from no-AF to Ascend, but obviously you wouldn't see that if you already have an Ascend (and probably not for a while even after you cancel your last Ascend).

(I'm not clear if you were talking about upgrade offers period or only upgrade offers that give points for upgrading. Yes, lots of people see offers -- though not necessarily"prominenty" -- to upgrade to Aspire, but with nothing given for that doing that upgrade.)
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Unless you are going to use the Ascend card, it makes sense to downgrade to no AF; not only will you receive a prorated refund, but AMEX will likely make targeted Ascend upgrade offers.
It was thinking it may be worth it to keep Ascend and get to the $15k spend level so I can get the free night. Then after achieving and redeeming this, downgrade. I have $11k left to spend on it. However a quick back of the napkin calculation shows that the same $11k spend on my SPG Amex through July 31, would result in a $300 value - and that free night can't be worth more than that... so probably just cancel/downgrade when af comes due later this year.

That is correct. If you have Ascend, cancel it, then apply for Aspire, spend $4k, and then 100k pts is yours!

Amex does not allow cancel & re-apply to get the bonus a second time when it's the same card, but in this case they consider Aspire to be a different card so you can get the Aspire bonus.
I actually was able to apply without cancelling my other Ascends, and Aspire was my 5th Amex card. So it appears one can have 5 Amex cards at once. I was pre-approved and application took 30 seconds. 100k points and Diamond Status for me

Interestingly, within my account it showed a "Request Upgrade" button on my Ascend cards. I didn't hit it as I didn't know if hitting it resulted in the request without any offer. And obviously I wanted to peruse what I got beforehand. So I just applied directly for Aspire to ensure I got the 100k bonus offer.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
It was thinking it may be worth it to keep Ascend and get to the $15k spend level so I can get the free night. Then after achieving and redeeming this, downgrade. I have $11k left to spend on it. However a quick back of the napkin calculation shows that the same $11k spend on my SPG Amex through July 31, would result in a $300 value - and that free night can't be worth more than that... so probably just cancel/downgrade when af comes due later this year.
Did your calculation include the 33-66k points you would earn from spending $11k?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
My $250 resort credit from the Aspire Card posted the next day after my stay at the Hilton Bentley.

Quite, quite satisfied with the benefits of this card. Everything has come promptly as advertised.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 11:50 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Did your calculation include the 33-66k points you would earn from spending $11k?
No it did not! Good catch. Well, assuming I make even the lowest possible amount (33k) that makes the difference $100 in value towards SPG at most and really that won't happen as the spend mix would never be the lowest. It could easily be a wash (which results in me ending up with a free night cert) or just a small difference. Looks like I'll be working towards that $11k spend Thanks for catching my glaring error.

I actually have 2 Ascend cards... I will have to now analyze if I can achieve said spend on both. One was the Citi transfer card... does Amex calculate spend from that card backwards (before the transfer) so you can gain the free weekend night? Or do they just calculate from late Jan onwards?

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Apr 22, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I actually have 2 Ascend cards... I will have to now analyze if I can achieve said spend on both. One was the Citi transfer card... does Amex calculate spend from that card backwards (before the transfer) so you can gain the free weekend night? Or do they just calculate from late Jan onwards?
I believe you earn the Citi Reserve night by spending $10k before your anniversary date which includes any previous spending and the Ascend night by spending $15k in 2018 which includes January spending on the Citi Reserve. My anniversary date was August and I already received both nights. That is one nice feature of the Ascend, you don't have to wait to pay the annual fee before receiving the free night.

I also have an Amex offer to earn 10k points for every $3k in spending up to 30k points, so you may want to check your Amex offers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.