Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Ascend gets 6x points at Supermarkets and Gas Stations. Aspire does not.
Plus you get another free weekend night for spending $15k on Ascend. Even if you put restaurant spending on Ascend and forgo the extra point per dollar it would be easy to spend $15k and get 90K points plus a free night.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:54 am

Just received a 75K Ascend upgrade offer on my no-fee HH Amex. I held the Surpass card (currently my second no-fee HH Amex via downgrade) ~2 years ago. It looks to me as if there's no exclusion here for prior holders of Surpass/Ascend.

Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:58 am

Interesting - I purchased a Southwest ticket for $68 on my Aspire and it generated an airline credit.

Maybe there is a dollar threashold for a transaction to be recognized as a ticket purchase.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Ascend gets 6x points at Supermarkets and Gas Stations. Aspire does not.
If I had to pay a $95 annual fee and did not care for the free night certificate you get with $15K annual spending, I would rather put my grocery and gas spending on Amex EDP which gets you 4.5x on grocery and 3x on gas with 30 transactions every month.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DaveH
I just had another chat rep confrm that upgrades to aspire not only forgo the welcome bonus, but also do not get the weekend night certificate.

I get the missing welcome bonus, but that lack of a weekend night makes less sense. The combination of the two is a massive disincentive to just upgrade one's current card, which is too bad. Why they would so keenly favor churn over continuity in this case escapes me--more expense and hassle for them and for the customer.
I'm guessing this is just another case of a misinformed Amex rep. The free weekend night cert is a fundamental benefit of the Aspire card, it shouldn't matter whether you open a new account or upgrade an existing Honors card.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Email stating cert was coming in 8-14 weeks came yesterday. Cert in my inbox today.
Thanks for the info. What is the expiration date on the cert? A year from the email, or from the day you opened the account?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by beltway
Just received a 75K Ascend upgrade offer on my no-fee HH Amex. I held the Surpass card (currently my second no-fee HH Amex via downgrade) ~2 years ago. It looks to me as if there's no exclusion here for prior holders of Surpass/Ascend.

Hoping to see bonus offers for upgrades to Aspire, not just Ascend. May end up having to make a new application.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by jediwho
If I had to pay a $95 annual fee and did not care for the free night certificate you get with $15K annual spending, I would rather put my grocery and gas spending on Amex EDP which gets you 4.5x on grocery and 3x on gas with 30 transactions every month.
Even if you did want HH points, the EDP route is the way to go as the 4.5 on groceries gets you 9 HH points when you transfer them over at 1:2.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Even if you did want HH points, the EDP route is the way to go as the 4.5 on groceries gets you 9 HH points when you transfer them over at 1:2.
I want the points and the free night.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I want the points and the free night.
Same here.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I'm guessing this is just another case of a misinformed Amex rep. The free weekend night cert is a fundamental benefit of the Aspire card, it shouldn't matter whether you open a new account or upgrade an existing Honors card.
You are correct. My Aspire card was an upgrade and I received the free weekend night.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks for the info. What is the expiration date on the cert? A year from the email, or from the day you opened the account?
A year from the e-mail.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by beltway
how did you get the offer? E-mail or web? or phone? cant imagine this being targeted but maybe it is. rep told me i can PC but no upgrade offers. im going to HUCA. rep sounded stupid.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:34 am

Hit $4k in spending on my Aspire over the weekend, 100k bonus posted on Monday.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Doctorslices
You are correct. My Aspire card was an upgrade and I received the free weekend night.
Did you already pay the annual fee or hit a $4,000 spend? after the upgrade?

I upgraded Ascend -> Aspire, had originally hoped that would trigger a Cert immediately, but now I believe you have to wait until you pay the annual fee at the next renewal then the cert will post. Did that happen to you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.