Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I was wondering if AmEx is not going to replace the Surpass cards as they retain the same card numbers? Or they will replace them gradually over time. I don't think they are in any rush to replace them.
I just found this on a FAQ page from Am Ex: "If you currently have an open and eligible Citi Hilton Honors Card, you will receive the Hilton Honors American Express Card. If you currently have an open and eligible Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card, you will receive the Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. If you would like to change to a different Hilton Honors American Express product, please contact us after your account is transferred and we’ll be happy to discuss your options."
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Curious why not just alert? They will need your personal ok to open anything new. Freeze is such a hassle (I have mine on alert)
You can't undo a hard pull even if you are alerted. I put mine on a freeze after my W2 was stolen out of my mailbox and it has resulted in some interesting discoveries. Things like our business bank was doing hard pulls on my credit report without my authorization when reviewing our business line of credit (existing relationship - should never have been a hard pull). Only found out when they called me saying they couldn't get in because I had it locked. Couldn't get in why? I didn't authorize anything. So... I'm a believer. Lock 'em down.

Upgrading from Surpass to Aspire did not require unlocking anything.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAmainbird
I can verify later today to ensure I didn't mis-read something, but I'm pretty sure that what my wife and I received -- on the same day, about a week ago -- was an Ascend to replace my Surpass card, and an Ascend to replace her Citi Reserve card. Her packet had a lot more intro material. Both said to wait until the end of the month to activate (so they are stuck away for now, which is why I don't remember exactly).
But the main thing that struck me was that "my" new Ascend had a different card number, which disappointed me because I've had the same Amex number for years and it is one that I have memorized. Wife commented that changing numbers would be more secure, however, since the old number may be stored in various vendors' systems.
Another data point, just in case: my AF for the Surpass would hit in July, with the card exp not for a year-and-a-half yet, so its not like they sent a new card because the Surpass was going to expire soon.
Were you an authorized user on wife's Citi Reserve? If so, the card with your name might be the AU card for her account (AU cards for AMEX have a different number than the account holder). The replacement for my Citi Reserve came with a lot of intro material and his came in a separate envelope without the intro material. It has to be his AU card from the Reserve because he did not have a Surpass card.

BTW regarding replacement cards for existing Surpass cards: neither DH nor I have had a Surpass since last May. I received the 100k points upgrade offer for the No Annual Fee Hilton AMEX (without the language excluding a bonus for previous holders) so I accepted it 1/8. When I received the upgraded card I was surprised to see it is NOT the new style Ascend - it's the old style dark gray Surpass card. It doesn't say "Surpass" on the front but I don't remember if the old Surpass cards said that either. Perhaps AMEX is concentrating on getting the new style cards out to the Citi Reserve folks and will then send out Surpass replacements?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Were you an authorized user on wife's Citi Reserve? If so, the card with your name might be the AU card for her account (AU cards for AMEX have a different number than the account holder). The replacement for my Citi Reserve came with a lot of intro material and his came in a separate envelope without the intro material. It has to be his AU card from the Reserve because he did not have a Surpass card.
BINGO! Yes, AU on her card. Two separate mailings instead of two cards in one mailing. Hadn't even thought of that. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
You can't undo a hard pull even if you are alerted. I put mine on a freeze after my W2 was stolen out of my mailbox and it has resulted in some interesting discoveries. Things like our business bank was doing hard pulls on my credit report without my authorization when reviewing our business line of credit (existing relationship - should never have been a hard pull). Only found out when they called me saying they couldn't get in because I had it locked. Couldn't get in why? I didn't authorize anything. So... I'm a believer. Lock 'em down.

Upgrading from Surpass to Aspire did not require unlocking anything.
I was a victim of Identity theft in 12 and put a freeze on and have let it remain in place. I'd recommend everyone put a freeze on their account, it's a real pain if your info gets used. Fortunately I wasn't out any money and got alerted pretty quick what was going on but I still spend a lot of time getting everything fixed.

If you are upgrading a current Am Ex card they shouldn't do a hard pull. I upgraded my Delta platinum to a Delta Reserve on Tuesday and when the Am Ex rep was going over all the disclosures he specifically mentioned that a hard pull wouldn't be done.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, Global Entry
How do I find out if a new Hilton Honors account has been setup for the Aspire card I am receiving as a new card (rather than upgrade)? I few here have mentioned you see the new Aspire listed when you login into Hilton, but I don't see ANY cards listed there, yet I've had both Amex and Citi versions of Ascend and have been receiving credits for those. If a new account number was setup for you, how did you know that? Did you receive a separate email from Hilton? Just trying to figure out if I should be trying to "fix" anything before the card comes (received the 7-10 day shipping email yesterday.)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I’ve noticed that my new Ascend Card has the same final five digits as my existing Honors free Amex. It’s like Amex is saying what I was already thinking of doing: just merge the accounts...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
I’ve noticed that my new Ascend Card has the same final five digits as my existing Honors free Amex. It’s like Amex is saying what I was already thinking of doing: just merge the accounts...
Might just be random luck. DoC just did an analysis of the generation of the last four digits of AMEX cards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/last-...thday-problem/
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by JRRinNC
How do I find out if a new Hilton Honors account has been setup for the Aspire card I am receiving as a new card (rather than upgrade)? I few here have mentioned you see the new Aspire listed when you login into Hilton, but I don't see ANY cards listed there, yet I've had both Amex and Citi versions of Ascend and have been receiving credits for those. If a new account number was setup for you, how did you know that? Did you receive a separate email from Hilton? Just trying to figure out if I should be trying to "fix" anything before the card comes (received the 7-10 day shipping email yesterday.)
You need to call AmEx and get the Aspire account added to your online profile. From there you can see the associated Honors account number. AmEx can correct this for you. In my case there had been a new account number created. My card hadn't shipped yet, so I'm assuming the Honors number on the card would be the correct one. You'd have to get the card reissued with the correct number if it has already shipped.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, Marriott Gold
I apologize, I'm almost positive I've read this answer before somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it now.

On the Ascend card, does anyone know when the count starts for the $15,000 to earn the free night? I know it says calendar year, but in this case is that January 1, January 18, or the end of January (I have a $10k charge that I need to make and I get a discount if I make the charge by Jan 28).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Might just be random luck. DoC just did an analysis of the generation of the last four digits of AMEX cards.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/last-...thday-problem/
And in that same article is a chart showing the chances of two cards having even the same last 5 digits, and they're not negligible (even though not high chances either).

If they do turn out to be different accounts that just happen to have the same last 5 digits, you can ask Amex to have one of the cards replaced with a card with a new number. Again, there's more in that linked article about that too.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I just looked at my new Ascend and the last four are the same as the last four of my personal Delta Am Ex. I can see this being a pain if I decide to store it as a payment method on websites where you can have multiple cards stored and it will ask you to pick a card based on the last four digits of the card account number

Something I find odd is that it doesn't say anyplace on the card where's it's an ascend card. My delta cards will say if it's a platinum or a reserve.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I received an email yesterday that the Aspire card was shipped and would arrive in 7-10 business days. This was after receiving the original 3-5 business days on the 18th when I signed up. I need to make a purchase this week so I called and the rep said it most likely would arrive in 4-5 business days but that she could cancel the card and overnight a new one which would arrive by tomorrow evening. I just got home and the original card actually arrived today...
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:23 pm

Unsure if this is the best place for the question, but does anyone think the Ascend is a good hotel card if you don't plan to make the $15k required for a weekend night?

For background, I have no hotel cards and haven't ever had one. I hold and use mainly an EDP, and supplement it with the TYPremier. Sock-drawered a Merrill+. For the rest, I aim for annual churn of 1 card - which is usually a Chase (ex: MP Explorer in the past, going on BA right now). I'm finding that I have a few decent options for airline redemptions when I need it, but really little that is a good value for hotels. Looking at the current crop of offerings, I can't say I find any to be obviously the most valuable, especially in terms of a sign-up bonus.

Would appreciate suggestions, but my own parameters (which can be somewhat strange) led me to the Ascend. Not liking the spending req.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Unsure if this is the best place for the question, but does anyone think the Ascend is a good hotel card if you don't plan to make the $15k required for a weekend night?

For background, I have no hotel cards and haven't ever had one. I hold and use mainly an EDP, and supplement it with the TYPremier. Sock-drawered a Merrill+. For the rest, I aim for annual churn of 1 card - which is usually a Chase (ex: MP Explorer in the past, going on BA right now). I'm finding that I have a few decent options for airline redemptions when I need it, but really little that is a good value for hotels. Looking at the current crop of offerings, I can't say I find any to be obviously the most valuable, especially in terms of a sign-up bonus.

Would appreciate suggestions, but my own parameters (which can be somewhat strange) led me to the Ascend. Not liking the spending req.

Not really. The 6x bonus categories are nice but if you use the card for restaurants, groceries etc. and and spend $10k on them you would earn 60k points which isn't even enough for a top tier resort night. Meanwile you are leaving a free night on the table by not spending an additional $5k which would earn you at least another 15k points.

The best way to redeem points is for five night stays with the fifth night free and it will take you years to do this at even a 40k per night property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.