Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So just applied and got approved. 25k limit. However the website forced me to have a new login account for this card and when I log in I don’t see my HH number despite putting it in the application. Anyone else have this happen to them?
It may have happened to me too. I applied and was approved yesterday. When did you apply?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I wish this opportunity was coming a year from now, and I've tried to make the numbers work 8 ways from Sunday, but it's just not "right" right now.

We are currently Diamond with Hilton and Gold with our airline of choice...which means D status with H means nothing, and we have ALL cancellations, changes covered without penalty, in addition to free luggage, so the airline credit is useless.

It's already been determined that the "deal" with W-A is not what it seems.

I would love the resort credit, but our only resort this year is with our kids/grandkids, and that might go by the wayside if someone gets sick, etc. So no guarantees there.

What I gain in the 14x Hilton stays (vs. 12 with the Ascend), I lose with the supermarket spend (3x with the Aspire, 6x with the Ascend). We stay home more than we travel. YMMV.

Restaurants are almost a wash, 7x vs. 6x.

I do feel bad about missing out on the 100,000 bonus points and the free night...but you have to make the other numbers work for them to be a benefit.

Just for me, and the reason I'm posting is that we "almost" got all caught up in the hype, too,...just not right at this time. And we have no plans for a 4,000 spend in the beginning of the year, so we might not have made the spend anyway.

Just do the MATH for YOUR particular situation.
You're not alone. I don't spend much at all on airline incidentals, and there are years when I don't stay at a Hilton that they deem a "resort." I have another card that includes unlimited Priority Pass already. Thus, Aspire isn't a slam-dunk for me.

I have an existing Surpass and a new Ascend that came over from Citi. Have existing Surpass cardholders been given any kind of bonus offer to upgrade to Aspire? With that nudge, I might upgrade, dump the other Priority Pass card I have (a Citi Thank You card), and call it good. But without an incentive, I'm not yet sure...might dump two or three other cards and go CSR....
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
It's been 24 hours and I haven't got any notice from Hilton, although my AMEX is updated with Aspire card information.
Opposite for me - Hilton has updated my status (I entered my Honors number in Aspire application), but the new card doesn't appear yet in my Amex account.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
The Hilton devaluations are unfortunate, but let's be fair. No hotel credit card earns enough points for a free night at a top tier hotel after $3000 of spend, even if that spend is all in a bonus category. That would be unsustainable.
Well, the WyndhamRewards card earns 5 points per dollar at WR hotels, and 5 x $3000 = 15000, and all WR properties (from the lowest to the highest) are 15000 points per night. So if you consider hotel stays a category, and if you consider the highest WR property to be "top tier" (ie, was your "top tier" relative to the program or absolute, and if absolute in what sense?), then that card can do it (though only if you stay at WR properties a lot).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Opposite for me - Hilton has updated my status (I entered my Honors number in Aspire application), but the new card doesn't appear yet in my Amex account.
Maybe the difference is I didn't apply for a *new* card for I had an old card that was converted to Ascend card and I went online and click *upgrade* and immediately I was upgraded to Aspire Card (was impressed how fast it is). But apparently Hilton didn't get the memo yet.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:12 am

Can anyone share what exactly are considered "Airline Credits"? I have read many webpages and statements and the only explicit mentioning of Airline Credit is luggage fee. (and of course what are NOT airline credits: tickets, buying points, etc.) For example: if I buy food and merchandise onboard are those considered Airline Credit and reimbursable? Anything else in your experience?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Maybe the difference is I didn't apply for a *new* card for I had an old card that was converted to Ascend card and I went online and click *upgrade* and immediately I was upgraded to Aspire Card (was impressed how fast it is). But apparently Hilton didn't get the memo yet.
Yes, that probably is the difference; I didn't upgrade because I wanted the 100k points
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone share what exactly are considered "Airline Credits"? I have read many webpages and statements and the only explicit mentioning of Airline Credit is luggage fee. (and of course what are NOT airline credits: tickets, buying points, etc.) For example: if I buy food and merchandise onboard are those considered Airline Credit and reimbursable? Anything else in your experience?
Check the Amex forum - there are airline specific threads for what counts. The system for the Aspire card seems to follow the same rules as the Plat card rules, i.e., you have to pick one specific airline and can only change in January.

E.g., Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-dl-only.html

The wiki at the top has links to other airline specific threads.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yes, that probably is the difference; I didn't upgrade because I wanted the 100k points
Hahah, I forgot about that, oh well....
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
The Hilton devaluations are unfortunate, but let's be fair. No hotel credit card earns enough points for a free night at a top tier hotel after $3000 of spend, even if that spend is all in a bonus category. That would be unsustainable.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...000-pts-3.html
Just booked 2 nights at a Kimpton hotel using free IHG credit card anniversary night (wife and I each have the card) - $49 AF earns Platinum status, free nights which can also be used at IC properties worldwide. No min spend required.
IHG has become my back-up hotel group after Hilton, particularly when the customized quarterly promotion is generous. It typically takes me 9 months to qualify for Diamond, based on stays, so I mix in a few IHG stays when it is lucrative to do so (from an award perspective).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the WyndhamRewards card earns 5 points per dollar at WR hotels, and 5 x $3000 = 15000, and all WR properties (from the lowest to the highest) are 15000 points per night. So if you consider hotel stays a category, and if you consider the highest WR property to be "top tier" (ie, was your "top tier" relative to the program or absolute, and if absolute in what sense?), then that card can do it (though only if you stay at WR properties a lot).
The more motel-ish brands can get away with that (a narrower range in terms of max redemption).

I look at it in terms of my own value per point at the hotels. Even in current devalued-to-hell Hilton, I still get 0.6-0.7 cpp without trying too hard. So 12-14x is in the 7-9% range. Compare to using the SPG Amex at Marriotts and Starwoods, which is in the 6-8% range. (One MR = 1.3 cpp).

So the new cards are in a competitive range in terms of hotel earnings. It's not going to get you to the Grand Wailea by itself, but it accelerates the process if you're using it in conjunction with a bunch of hotel stays already earning lots of points by themselves.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by TerryK
Wonderful news! Thank you, Lauren.^
What about the Ascend card though? If i have the Surpass now (wife) or have had it (myself in 2015) will i be eligible for signup bonus of the Ascend?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: seeking best cc sign-up & spend bonus offers
> The Hilton Honors American Express Card (no annual fee):

Got mailed offer 80K bonus pts $2K spend;
so busy pursuing (4) AmexDeltaPlat spend triggers,
missed Hilton cc Jan 17, 2018 apply deadline
phone rep says now 50K bonus; any links or info
still active 80K or higher than 50K appreciated!!!
Thanks! ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Possibly. I did put my HHonors # on the Aspire application so not sure if that was what made a difference. I did however have to make an entirely new account with Amex for my Aspire card. For some reason it would not allow me to add it to my existing account that hold both my (now) Ascend card and SPG card.
That happened to me as well.
Customer service did tell me once I receive the card in hand to active it, I can get it linked to my orginal accoutn with the Platinum card & Blue cash card.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
So just applied and got approved. 25k limit. However the website forced me to have a new login account for this card and when I log in I don’t see my HH number despite putting it in the application. Anyone else have this happen to them?
this happened to most, if not all based on the replies in the various threads.

Just call AMEX to link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.