Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:32 pm

I made a similar comment in the Amex forum, but i think it's worth repeating.

The no fee hilton card looks like it's showing a new sign up bonus of 50k points, yet Amex is giving me a 65k referral link for my card.

I don't want to go against any forum rules here, but it's seems a bit crazy that my referral offer is in excess of the actual sign up bonus.

Was about to cancel when I noticed it. Just sent a referal to my gf, and will cancel next month and apply for the Ascend.

Pm me if anyone wants a 65k offer link instead of the 50k.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by jediwho
Has anyone already got the weekend night free certificate or code from the Aspire card?
It was mentioned up thread to expect these about 60 days out.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I do feel bad about missing out on the 100,000 bonus points and the free night...but you have to make the other numbers work for them to be a benefit.
Which is only about $400 worth of points.

This card makes best sense if you don't already have Diamond status. It can still pencil out even if you're already Diamond. But if you mostly fly AS with change fees waived, I can see where the math doesn't work.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Kacee
Which is only about $400 worth of points.

This card makes best sense if you don't already have Diamond status. It can still pencil out even if you're already Diamond. But if you mostly fly AS with change fees waived, I can see where the math doesn't work.
I think this card makes quite a bit of sense for a lot of people who earn diamond status. If someone is diamond they are spending a lot of nights in Hilton so would definitely benefit from the free night. The majority of diamonds are probably frequent flyers and could use the airline so if the free night is at a property worth at least $200 a night with those two benefits the fee is already equaled out. If someone is going to do a reward stay at one of the resort properties then they could treat themselves to a few nice meals or a spa day. For Vegas visitors they could just stay at the Trop and the resort fee credit would probably for a weekend there.

And diamonds are spending quite a bit of money at Hilton and the 14 points per $ could result in a lot of extra points.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jediwho
Has anyone already got the weekend night free certificate or code from the Aspire card?
I can't imagine anyone has. Officially Hilton/AMEX say it will be sent 6-8 weeks after you get the card, right? They have to make sure people pay the $450 annual fee before they issue the free night, otherwise people could presumably pocket the free night and cancel the card without ever paying the annual fee.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
$3000 spend at 14 points = 42,000 or around a 7.5% discount wont get you too much in Hawaii
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Hi guys,
I have upgraded my card. Will I need to do anything with the upgraded benefits of Priority Pass that go with the card or will that be automatic upgraded as well?
Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by sdix
$35K limit on my Aspire
I know at least a couple people got $5K limits.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What I gain in the 14x Hilton stays (vs. 12 with the Ascend), I lose with the supermarket spend (3x with the Aspire, 6x with the Ascend). We stay home more than we travel. YMMV.
Could always pair it with the no-AF card, which earns 5x in supermarket/gas station categories, and enjoy a 50K signup bonus too.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Hi guys,
I have upgraded my card. Will I need to do anything with the upgraded benefits of Priority Pass that go with the card or will that be automatic upgraded as well?
Thanks for your help.
I didn't upgrade my Ascend, but I did just apply for the Aspire, so now I have both. When I log into my HHonors account it recognizes I have the Aspire and under benefits there was a section for PP and I had to sign up with it as a Aspire cardholder and it said another card was going to be mailed to me. So I am thinking I will now have one PP card to go along with the Aspire (unlimited) and my existing PP card that goes with my Surpasss/Ascend (with 10 visits loaded on) if that makes sense?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA (Gold)
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
When I log into my HHonors account it recognizes I have the Aspire and under benefits there was a section for PP and I had to sign up with it as a Aspire cardholder and it said another card was going to be mailed to me. So I am thinking I will now have one PP card to go along with the Aspire (unlimited) and my existing PP card that goes with my Surpasss/Ascend (with 10 visits loaded on) if that makes sense?
So it sounds like Amex finally got their act together and are actually respecting the existing Honors number entered into the app rather than asking Hilton to create a new one.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Can somebody tell me why I should take the new Ascend card that is sent because of my current Citi card. I would get no point bonus for accepting it.

Why don't I cancel my Citi card, so the Ascend card does not go thru. Then apply freshly for a new Ascend, so that I can get the 100k points after the associated spend.

Aside from a credit pull that I do not care about, I see no reason to not do this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Can somebody tell me why I should take the new Ascend card that is sent because of my current Citi card. I would get no point bonus for accepting it.

Why don't I cancel my Citi card, so the Ascend card does not go thru. Then apply freshly for a new Ascend, so that I can get the 100k points after the associated spend.

Aside from a credit pull that I do not care about, I see no reason to not do this.
It's probably way too late! They probably already count you as a "previous holder of this card",(even if you cancel now) and thus you are ineligible for the bonus.

The news that was going to happen broke on Nov 1. Why didn't you cancel then? Apparently Nov 17 is the cutoff date, but we didn't know that until way later. But anyone who wanted to be sure to not get an Amex, they should have cancelled on Nov 1 as soon as this switchover was announced.

Meanwhile, there are three other cards you can apply for and get the bonus (if you've never had the other three). So focus on the bonus on those rather than the Ascend.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ckiggins

So it sounds like Amex finally got their act together and are actually respecting the existing Honors number entered into the app rather than asking Hilton to create a new one.
Possibly. I did put my HHonors # on the Aspire application so not sure if that was what made a difference. I did however have to make an entirely new account with Amex for my Aspire card. For some reason it would not allow me to add it to my existing account that hold both my (now) Ascend card and SPG card.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Being a FTer, I have to apply for this card. It seems mine only get 10K limit (2k cash advance). Not sure how they determine, but my cheapo AMEX hilton have 35K limit, and ACEND (coverted from citi), has 30K limit.
10K limit for a $450 fee card sounds like a joke.

Anyway, I tested the $100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package. It's essential $100 more (~$50 per night including tax) than the lowest price on dates I selected. Then, suite seems even higher. So, this is NOT a "true" benefit. The rate probably work for those paying for rack rate (aspire card rate is same as rack rate), ONLY. Most advance purchase or promotional rate is better off.
Not saying they are in the wrong, just saying how limited this benefit means.
I tried booking a dummy reservation at a WA resort using the link, and trying to use points only to book the "reservation package" to get the $100 resort credit. I got all the way through to clicking reserve and it did not give me any errors along the way. Not saying that this is going to be an option to book with points, but it didn't seem to want to stop me either lol. I will be attempting to book a legitimate points only reservation in a few weeks, when I get the extra points I am needing for a 5 night stay.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by giggy
$3000 spend at 14 points = 42,000 or around a 7.5% discount wont get you too much in Hawaii
Not even HALF of ONE night at Grand Wailea

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.