Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Have you thought about getting the Alaska credit card if you'll still be flying them a lot? You can get checked bags free at least. Not sure if you get lounge access or not or can earn elite miles with their credit card like you can the Delta credit card.

unfortunately the boardrooms have become stingy with allowing priority pass swipes lately. I prefer them over the Delta clubs and the last coupe times at Seattle they weren't allowing any priority pass swipes

For people who travel a lot for leisure but not enough for status the Chase Sapphire card is great since you get 4.5 percent back on dining and travel charges if you use the points for travel regardless of what hotel or airline you use. I normally use that card over my Delta card for Delta purchases since I value 4.5 chase poitns at more than 2 delta skypesos and I get trip protection. You also get a priority pass with unlimited guests
Yes, we already have the Alaska Visa. We already get checked bags free because of our Gold status with AS. We use it for the companion fare and not much else. You get so many more miles for the flying rather than the buying, that I prefer to load up my points on hotel cards.

The new Ascend with the 10 free priority passes will be great, as long as, as you say, the AS lounges let you in with them.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, we already have the Alaska Visa. We already get checked bags free because of our Gold status with AS. We use it for the companion fare and not much else. You get so many more miles for the flying rather than the buying, that I prefer to load up my points on hotel cards.

The new Ascend with the 10 free priority passes will be great, as long as, as you say, the AS lounges let you in with them.
There's a thread on FT somewhere (I think the chase board) about being turned away from the Boardroom with priority pass. It's not that big of a deal for me now that Delta is not in T5 and 6 at LAX and has a nice new skyclub at SEA but for people not flying Delta or who don't have skyclub access this is a big decline in benefits. Some airports now have vendors that are giving F&B credits for priority pass members and not sure if SEA is one of the airports and not sure if the Priority Pass issued with the hilton card will work there or not (I assume it will work at any place the chase or Am Ex PP works at).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:46 pm

There's a thread on FT somewhere (I think the chase board) about being turned away from the Boardroom with priority pass. It's not that big of a deal for me now that Delta is not in T5 and 6 at LAX and has a nice new skyclub at SEA but for people not flying Delta or who don't have skyclub access this is a big decline in benefits. Some airports now have vendors that are giving F&B credits for priority pass members and not sure if SEA is one of the airports and not sure if the Priority Pass issued with the hilton card will work there or not (I assume it will work at any place the chase or Am Ex PP works at).
Big discussions on the AS board about PP - more often than not they have the "full capacity" sign out for PP holders most often in SEA but also PDX. The passes are not a deal breaker either way, just would be nice to have.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:57 pm

I have the Amex platinum card and the CSR card. (As well as the Alaska card that I got a few years ago when I thought I would use the companion fare enough to make it worth while; fast forward to now when all my friends, who I usually travel with, have moved away and now I never use the companion fare >.<)

Amex for the Centurion lounge and Delta Sky Club (when flying them) access. Usually fly Alaska short routes (based in PSC but hit SEA or PDX for weekend getaways) but Delta when doing SEA to LAX/LAS or something because they usually have well priced F fares and a better F product (especially for a vegetarian). The travel credits are nice, but obviously this Hilton card would be just as good or better.

The CSR for the amazing 100k sign up bonus and for the super easy to use $300 travel credit. Honestly Chase points are easier to use and seem more valuable to the personal traveler so it makes sense to be my main daily spend. However, PP is a joke with Alaska lounges now and no access to Delta sky clubs. Basically I consider it worthless for lounge access with this card.

Together those two cards do pretty well for me and I at least break even on the cost with them and then points/status are just bonus points that make it worth while. However, I'm still really pretty weak on hotels. Gold is nice to have but I never really am able to build up many hotel points. If Amex had just offered some access to the centurion lounge with this top end Hilton card I probably would ditch the platinum and switch to this. Even if it was limited to 10 or 15 passes a year or something to keep control of crowding. But I did find myself paying for lounge access (daily pass) when I didn't have access and four to six times a year plus the travel credits almost makes it break even, so ya... no perfect card, but at the same time I'm not really sure I want to build in a budget for 3 premium cards a year because that's getting pretty crazy.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:16 pm

I don't even pay ANY annual fees that don't pay for themselves...AS we do use the companion fare, worth way more than the usual airfare, so check...Hilton we get the free night, so check...Marriott the same, free night, more than pays for the annual fee, check. Our other cards are all No annual fee at all. It would be hard to cough up hundreds unless the sign-up bonus was compelling. I don't need to impress anyone with the cards I use.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by acarney
I have the Amex platinum card and the CSR card. (As well as the Alaska card that I got a few years ago when I thought I would use the companion fare enough to make it worth while; fast forward to now when all my friends, who I usually travel with, have moved away and now I never use the companion fare >.<)

Amex for the Centurion lounge and Delta Sky Club (when flying them) access. Usually fly Alaska short routes (based in PSC but hit SEA or PDX for weekend getaways) but Delta when doing SEA to LAX/LAS or something because they usually have well priced F fares and a better F product (especially for a vegetarian). The travel credits are nice, but obviously this Hilton card would be just as good or better.

The CSR for the amazing 100k sign up bonus and for the super easy to use $300 travel credit. Honestly Chase points are easier to use and seem more valuable to the personal traveler so it makes sense to be my main daily spend. However, PP is a joke with Alaska lounges now and no access to Delta sky clubs. Basically I consider it worthless for lounge access with this card.

Together those two cards do pretty well for me and I at least break even on the cost with them and then points/status are just bonus points that make it worth while. However, I'm still really pretty weak on hotels. Gold is nice to have but I never really am able to build up many hotel points. If Amex had just offered some access to the centurion lounge with this top end Hilton card I probably would ditch the platinum and switch to this. Even if it was limited to 10 or 15 passes a year or something to keep control of crowding. But I did find myself paying for lounge access (daily pass) when I didn't have access and four to six times a year plus the travel credits almost makes it break even, so ya... no perfect card, but at the same time I'm not really sure I want to build in a budget for 3 premium cards a year because that's getting pretty crazy.
The PP benefits have become less useful in the past year with the capacity controls by Alaska and the Escape at MSP no longer accepting it. But some airports are giving F&B credits with PP like the PGA lounge at MSP. I like being able to use it at the Club at Vegas since Delta doesn't have a lounge there and also at the Club at ATL if I have long enough layover, the skyclub has better food but the alcohol selection is better at the club. I always have access to international lounges as a delta diamond but if someone doesn't have status and is riding in coach there are quite a few international lounges that accept pp.

My issue with using Chase points on Delta is that it will only select E fares if they are available and it won't allow you to buy up to the next highest fare class so that means booking an E ticket and then calling delta immediately and paying to upgrade the ticket to the lowest available fare class.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:18 pm

The PP benefits have become less useful in the past year with the capacity controls by Alaska and the Escape at MSP no longer accepting it. But some airports are giving F&B credits with PP like the PGA lounge at MSP. I like being able to use it at the Club at Vegas since Delta doesn't have a lounge there and also at the Club at ATL if I have long enough layover, the skyclub has better food but the alcohol selection is better at the club. I always have access to international lounges as a delta diamond but if someone doesn't have status and is riding in coach there are quite a few international lounges that accept pp.

My issue with using Chase points on Delta is that it will only select E fares if they are available and it won't allow you to buy up to the next highest fare class so that means booking an E ticket and then calling delta immediately and paying to upgrade the ticket to the lowest available fare class.
Where is the Club at Vegas? We go in and out of Terminal 3 (the new one) on Alaska.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
There are two The Clubs at Las Vegas. One is in concourse E, at the very far end from the Alaska gates, while the other is in concourse D.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
There are two The Clubs at Las Vegas. One is in concourse E, at the very far end from the Alaska gates, while the other is in concourse D.
Great, once we get our new free PP's, I'll check it out.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Great, once we get our new free PP's, I'll check it out.
Nothing impressive at LAS but beats the concourse if you have a long delay at LAS. I love the United Club at LAS and it's next to the Delta gates and go twice a year using the free United Club passes the Hyatt gives their diamonds but unfortunately you only get two a year.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
FYI, there is a post on Lucky's blog that the Ascend will NOT be considered a new AMEX product so for those that have or have had a Surpass card in the past there will be NO new sign-up bonus if you apply for the Ascend. Let the .....ing begin! I assumed this would be the case but there were lots of comments here hoping otherwise since people always seem to want more and more.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by christianj
FYI, there is a post on Lucky's blog that the Ascend will NOT be considered a new AMEX product so for those that have or have had a Surpass card in the past there will be NO new sign-up bonus if you apply for the Ascend. Let the .....ing begin! I assumed this would be the case but there were lots of comments here hoping otherwise since people always seem to want more and more.
Possibly. The source was an Amex CSR, who may-or-may-not be accurate. Until apps start going out I don't feel like we will be 100% sure of whether or not Amex considers this a new product
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Good to know i can get Diamond for free. >:/
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:11 pm

https://www.hiltonhonorscard.com

Not sure if there's any new info here or not. I see T&C for some of the benefits.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Look at the link in Post 630.

They even say the words "a new portfolio" of credit cards.

New name, new benefits, new annual fee...if it walks like a duck...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.