Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: UA: MM
Has anyone had their 2018 Diamond status set based on the $40K spend? I crossed that threshold in July but I don't see anything that tells me it is effective for 2018 at the Hilton site or from Citi.

TIA
DLM
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dmunz
Has anyone had their 2018 Diamond status set based on the $40K spend? I crossed that threshold in July but I don't see anything that tells me it is effective for 2018 at the Hilton site or from Citi.
Yes; but I was only Gold, so they informed me I made Diamond after my statement closed.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:43 pm

Sorry if this was posted already. Is there a signing bonus to upgrade to the aspire card from the surpass card?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:49 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Originally Posted by dmunz

TIA
DLM
I'm in the same situation as you having wrapped up the required spend in September (Citi card). I was already diamond this year via actual stays last year, so the indication of the upgrade from gold to diamond noted above wouldn't apply to me. It would be great if there was a way to get confirmation that my (and your) diamond is now valid through 3/31/19 but I don't know how to do that right now.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sethb
Yes; but I was only Gold, so they informed me I made Diamond after my statement closed.
Your Hilton account will tell the date your status expires on their site, it's sort of a pain, you have to go to a couple menus and download your card.

I wish that Hilton would send out an email once your requal for the year. Maybe they will in the future since Am Ex will be there only partner. I qualify for diamond status on Delta thanks to all the MQM's I get on my Am Ex spend and IIRC Delta sneds me an email telling me I requalified for Diamond after the Am Ex MQM's hit.

I think the statement has to close with the $40K spend before the diamond status will be reflected with Hilton. With Delta the MQM's don't post until after the Am Ex statement closes
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Your Hilton account will tell the date your status expires on their site, it's sort of a pain, you have to go to a couple menus and download your card.

I wish that Hilton would send out an email once your requal for the year. Maybe they will in the future since Am Ex will be there only partner. I qualify for diamond status on Delta thanks to all the MQM's I get on my Am Ex spend and IIRC Delta sneds me an email telling me I requalified for Diamond after the Am Ex MQM's hit.

I think the statement has to close with the $40K spend before the diamond status will be reflected with Hilton. With Delta the MQM's don't post until after the Am Ex statement closes
Amex statements reflect your progress towards diamond and will include a message when you qualify, which will be when the statement closes.

i qualified mid-stay and received the additional points when I checked out.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA: MM

Thanks for this. Since I am already a Diamond, there was no upgrade e-mail I just downloaded the card image and it does indeed say 3/19 so thanks for the tip.

I guess my next question is can I safely close my Citi account so I don't get another AMX? I already have the Surpass and don't really want to mess with a second one...

FWIW
DLM
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
Amex statements reflect your progress towards diamond and will include a message when you qualify, which will be when the statement closes.

i qualified mid-stay and received the additional points when I checked out.
That's helpful info to have. Am Ex does the same thing with Delta MQM's. It will tell me when I've reached a boast and how much more I need to spend to qualify for my next MQM boost. Citi doesn't provide that info on their statement. My case wasn't a big deal since I enter everything in quicken and just can click on a couple drop downs to see my YTD charges but it would still be nice to have the info on the statement from Citi.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
That's helpful info to have. Am Ex does the same thing with Delta MQM's. It will tell me when I've reached a boast and how much more I need to spend to qualify for my next MQM boost. Citi doesn't provide that info on their statement. My case wasn't a big deal since I enter everything in quicken and just can click on a couple drop downs to see my YTD charges but it would still be nice to have the info on the statement from Citi.
Citi actually shows this data - albeit not on the statment. You can loook at "View your reward summary" it shows progress toward both goals (certficate and Dimond status).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:05 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Wanted to share a quick update/correction re: weekend rewards, as I know you all had a lot of questions that you posted/PMed about.

Confirmed with our partners that you will in fact be receiving this year’s Citi weekend reward from any spend met this year on your Citi anniversary date (and not 6-8 weeks after spend is met, as previously announced). If your Citi anniversary date is after January 30, 2018 (the day your Citi Reserve account transfers to the Amex Ascend account), you need to keep your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend card account open in order to receive the weekend night reward.

Going forward with your Amex card, the clock starts ticking on your new Ascend $15K spend threshold on January 30, 2018. Once you meet the spend on the Ascend card, you will then receive your weekend reward 6-8 weeks from that date. Technically, that means you could receive your Ascend weekend reward before your Citi reward (depending on when your Citi anniversary is).

Weekend night reward codes are sent via email from Hilton Honors so please make sure your preferred email address is on your Hilton Honors account.

Thought it might be helpful to map it out by date - see below:

January 18, 2018: New Amex Cards Available for Sign Up; Surpass cards become the Ascend Card and you can start using Priority Pass benefits
January 18 & On: Citi Cardmembers Begin to Receive New Ascend Cards; Citi Cardholders Can Continue to Spend on Their Reserve Card Through January 30, 2018
January 30, 2018: Citi Reserve Cards officially become the Amex Ascend Cards; Count Towards New Spend Threshold Begins

So sorry for any confusion, feel free to reach out if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Thank you for your time and effort, Lauren. We appreciate you!!!!!!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Thought it might be helpful to map it out by date - see below:

January 18, 2018: New Amex Cards Available for Sign Up; Surpass cards become the Ascend Card and you can start using Priority Pass benefits
January 18 & On: Citi Cardmembers Begin to Receive New Ascend Cards; Citi Cardholders Can Continue to Spend on Their Reserve Card Through January 30, 2018
January 30, 2018: Citi Reserve Cards officially become the Amex Ascend Cards; Count Towards New Spend Threshold Begins

So sorry for any confusion, feel free to reach out if you have other questions.

Thanks,
Lauren
I currently have the Surpass card, which will be transitioned to the Ascend Card on January 18, 2018. (I have never held the Citi Reserve card.) From reading Lauren's post above and the literature that AMEX send me regarding the Surpass transition to Ascend, I have one question: Will spend on my Ascend card on or after January 18, 2018 count towards the $15,000 yearly threshold to earn the free weekend night certificate? I believe the answer is yes, but I wanted to run it past you Flyer Talk wizards to make sure I'm not missing any details. I have a large amount of spending planned in January, and I'd really like to time it right to count towards the free night certificate.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Lauren.

Great news about the free nights.

I have a question on how the Aspire free night works.

My current plan will be to keep the new Ascend card until this summer when my anniversary date will hit with my reserve card so I don't lose that free night.

If I put the $15K in spend on the Ascend card in 2018 and get the second free night and then upgrade the card to an Aspire later in 2018 will I be eligible for another free night certificate on 12/31/18 or do you hold the Aspire for a whole year and the free night for that will post on 12/31/19?

I'm also wondering how the airline/resort credit will work if I upgrade the ascend later in the year in 2018? Will I be eligible for the entire resort and airline credit in 2018 and the clock will start over on 1/1/19 or will I only be eligible for the resort and airline credit from the time I convert the card in 2018 until Dec 31 2019? I'm just trying to figure out when it would be best to upgrade the card.

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
I have a question n the Aspire upgrade too.

Regardless of your Citi Reserve date, if you upgrade to the Aspire card (say 2/1) do you still get the cert via the Aspire right away?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:16 pm

No news about a signup bonus for the aspire card? Chance of bonus going from surpass to aspire ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.