Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by ctbarron
1. The one question I have that I didn't yet see answered is what happens if you already have 5 AMEX credit cards, and the converted one pushes you to 6? I suspect this is an AMEX question and not a HH one.

2. Thanks to Lauren for continuing to answer questions.

3. I'd rather do the $40k spend on the Surpass/Ascend for Diamond.
1) I'm not sure the total accounts you can have with AMEX, but I did have an AMEX person told me the amount of "brand-name" AMEX card one can have is 4.

3) Why? If you have a AMEX SPG that's 40,000 points, that's 4 free nights at SPG category 4-5 properties, which averages out to $150-250 a night, $600-$1000 USD. Hilton points are always less in value. I don't understand why people would spend massively on any other hotel card than SPG one.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
1) I'm not sure the total accounts you can have with AMEX, but I did have an AMEX person told me the amount of "brand-name" AMEX card one can have is 4.

3) Why? If you have a AMEX SPG that's 40,000 points, that's 4 free nights at SPG category 4-5 properties, which averages out to $150-250 a night, $600-$1000 USD. Hilton points are always less in value. I don't understand why people would spend massively on any other hotel card than SPG one.
I was told by a few people that the max Am Ex cards you can have is five and I was told by others it was four. At one time I had five (a business and personal version of the Delta Platinum and Reserve cards and a free Hilton card). Maybe it's a YMMV situation depending on the amount of credit you have with Am Ex and your history with them or maybe I was allowed five at that time because two were business cards. It says in the fine print of the one email that not all Citi accounts will be accepted by Am Ex. So if one is at the max for Am Ex cards they probably won't get a new card. Am Ex also has a blacklist where if you've ever defaulted on an Am Ex card you are supposedly on the black list and will never get a card with them (even if it was a bankruptcy from 30 years ago) unless you make an arrangement to pay the debt back even though it was legally discharged.

I agree there is a lot better ways to spend $40K especially now that you can get diamond status for $450. If someone puts $50K on a Hyatt card now they can get pretty high status with Hyatt.

I'm hoping now that Hilton is selling status for $450 a year, Hyatt is giving it out with $50K credit card spend that after the SPG/Marriott merger is final they will offer a similar way to get Platinum through credit card spend. I would gladly put $50K a year on a credit card for SPG or Marriott Platinum, especially if the Delta crossover program is still in place
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
• $250 Hilton resort statement credit
• $100 on-property credit at Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts and Conrad Hotels & Resorts when booking the exclusive Aspire Card package
Description implies $100 on-property credit may be applied exclusively to Waldorf and Conrad Resorts.

Is the $250 Hilton resort statement credit limited to only "Hilton" Resorts, or can it be applied to entire "Hilton Family" of Resorts, including Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, and Curio Resorts?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by kb9522
I'm not suggesting that they will. I'm simply illustrating how little one has to earn to be able to afford the card.

Except that middle class leisure traveler is bringing an entire family, possibly including (sometimes young) children. And the next day it will be a different family, and so on. But what it really comes down to is the lower expectations by these people... It allows Hilton to get away with poorer service, fewer amenities, etc. Once they realize they can save a few bucks, you think they won't?

I only used the lounge examples as an illustration of what happens when you open the floodgates. The value of access to those lounges goes through the floor. Same thing here, Diamond will be even less valuable when everyone has it.

The results from Hilton's ongoing liberality in status matching other programs' top tier status and the company's forecasting suggests that the risk of crowding at lounges, using up allocations of rooms available for upgrade/late check out, etc comes less from families traveling on leisure than from business people who stay 10-15 times per year. There are a lot of them in the US and they do not currently qualify for gold or diamond membership. The other characteristic which makes this group a potential threat to the availability of perks is that they tend to stay in the cities and at the same properties as existing Diamond members.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
I am an example of why this really won't matter much.

We are 'casual' travelers and use IHG in the States and Hilton 'overseas' for the lounges. We take about 2 trips to Asia per year and 2 trips to Europe per year.

I status matched from IHG to diamond last year. The mattress run to keep it after March of next year would have been thousands of dollars. My plan was to simply pay for executive/ lounge rooms from then on. With maybe 20 nights per year, that would have been about $1000.

So, for me, the $450 is a pretty good deal as sort of a pre-paid lounge access. It will also encourage us to stay at more Hiltons.

My lounge use would never have been that great in the grand scheme of things, and I probably would have been paying cash anyway for access. So, all in all, I will get the card but have very little differential impact on the lounges.

I am probably the customer that they intended for this product.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Description implies $100 on-property credit may be applied exclusively to Waldorf and Conrad Resorts.

Is the $250 Hilton resort statement credit limited to only "Hilton" Resorts, or can it be applied to entire "Hilton Family" of Resorts, including Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, and Curio Resorts?
Already asked and answered upthread. There is a link upthread of all the Hilton family Resort properties (I think there are 70 or so of them). They are in various brands (that's why we've been discussing a DT Anaheim resort in recent posts). Some have "Resort" in the name, I think some don't. I'm not even sure if all properties that do have "Resort" in the name are included on that list. The resort credit will only work on those properties on that list, no others.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lauren, a question on the transition time from Citi HH to Amex HH:

I though it was previously announced that the Citi HH cards would stop functioning after January 30, and that people would have the Amex replacement HH card in hand by January 30.

But someone in the Citi forum just posted a snail mail letter they received from Citi, which said in part:
"If your account is closed or is not in good standing as of January 26, 2018, your account will not be transferred to American Express."
I don't see how Amex can have replacement HH cards (for Citi HH accounts) in everyone's hands by the January 30 if they aren't even going to get the list from Citi until January 26.

So does this letter from Citi mean that Amex HH cards (replacing Citi HH cards) may not arrive until February?

Please clarify. Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Already asked and answered upthread. There is a link upthread of all the Hilton family Resort properties (I think there are 70 or so of them). They are in various brands (that's why we've been discussing a DT Anaheim resort in recent posts). Some have "Resort" in the name, I think some don't. I'm not even sure if all properties that do have "Resort" in the name are included on that list. The resort credit will only work on those properties on that list, no others.
I have seen mention of Resort List, but have not been able to locate link to actual list. Can you point me to actual link? Appreciate it.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Hilton points are less in value compared to SPG, but I think a lot of people who get diamond status through the Hilton card are getting six HH points per dollar. 240k Hilton points plus diamond status is a comparable value to 40k SPG points.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I have seen mention of Resort List, but have not been able to locate link to actual list. Can you point me to actual link? Appreciate it.
See post 161:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005693-post161.html
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I believe this is the list:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/resorts/index.html#
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thank you

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Thank You

So this confirms that the $250 Hilton resort statement credit does include Waldorf, Conrad and Curio Resorts. thanks for providing link.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Thanks. I've created a wiki for this thread, and put that link in there, so it won't require searching to find it in the future.

Anyone who has wiki editing capability who feels any other often-asked information should be added there, feel free. We're getting a lot of information in this thread, but the more posts we get after that, the harder it gets to find, without being in a wikipost.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:28 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
What happens if we downgrade from the $95 to the no fee citi card between now and Jan 30th?
If you have the no-fee Citi Hilton Honors Card on January 30, 2018, you will receive the no-fee Hilton Honors American Express Card.

Is there going to be any sign-up bonuses with any of these cards? Or just a transition? How about Aspire, since that is a new product?
While we can’t share specifics about any upcoming bonuses for this Card, can share that in general our approach is to offer a mix of not only competitive introductory offers for potential new Card Members, but also a range of premium benefits and services that not only attract new customers but also sustain long term relationships and loyalty among our large Card Member base.

For the free weekend night stay, will that have to be a new reservation, or if we are already booked for a standard weekend night room can we sub out the paid stay for the free stay?
A Weekend Night Reward may be combined with other Hilton or Free Night promotions in market and may be added to existing paid or Reward stays.

The one question I have that I didn't yet see answered is what happens if you already have 5 AMEX credit cards, and the converted one pushes you to 6? I suspect this is an AMEX question and not a HH one.

Yes, please contact Amex about this question.

Looks like you all referenced this already, but just confirming that the resort credit can be applied to the resorts in our portfolio as shown on www.hilton.com/resorts.

Thank you!
Lauren
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Thanks. I've created a wiki for this thread, and put that link in there, so it won't require searching to find it in the future.

Anyone who has wiki editing capability who feels any other often-asked information should be added there, feel free. We're getting a lot of information in this thread, but the more posts we get after that, the harder it gets to find, without being in a wikipost.
Great idea. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.