Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:27 am

I really don't think the diamond benefit is going to get that diluted. Do we really think that the average leisure traveler is going to have the wherewithal to shell out $450 for a handful of annual Hilton stays. There truly is not that much of a difference between Gold and Diamond for the average tourist. Breakfast is garnered for both Gold and Diamond. Lounge/Club access isn't that big of a deal for non-frequent travelers.

At the moment, Diamond can be had for simply charging $40K to either the AmEx Surpass of Citi Reserve cards--not a difficult task for a non-frequent stay individual desiring Diamond.

Personally I'm sticking with the Ascend card, as I don't need another $450 a year card in my wallet that I only use for travel. At least the Ascend card is useful for everyday spending bonus categories.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Feel free to send over any other questions you might have.

Thanks!
Lauren
From what I've seen in e-mails, it seems that Hilton is automatically enrolling us in credit cards, yes? I received notification that I am now an "Ascend" cardholder, but the old card didn't have an annual fee, but the Ascend card is $95/year... do we have a choice on this or do you waive the first year of fee at least?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by TTT103
I really don't think the diamond benefit is going to get that diluted. Do we really think that the average leisure traveler is going to have the wherewithal to shell out $450 for a handful of annual Hilton stays. There truly is not that much of a difference between Gold and Diamond for the average tourist. Breakfast is garnered for both Gold and Diamond. Lounge/Club access isn't that big of a deal for non-frequent travelers.

At the moment, Diamond can be had for simply charging $40K to either the AmEx Surpass of Citi Reserve cards--not a difficult task for a non-frequent stay individual desiring Diamond.

Personally I'm sticking with the Ascend card, as I don't need another $450 a year card in my wallet that I only use for travel. At least the Ascend card is useful for everyday spending bonus categories.
I disagree completely.

$450 is not a lot of money. Even less so when you consider the cost of diamond in terms of stays.

Just look at Centurion Lounges... just about every man, woman and child has access and the amenities are at best a nuisance to use and at worst impossible. Look at PP lounges, some are being turned away because of the sheer volume of people with access.

Make no mistake, giving away diamond to anyone who can hold a minimum wage job is going to greatly dilute the value of this tier.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by kb9522
I disagree completely.

$450 is not a lot of money. Even less so when you consider the cost of diamond in terms of stays.

Just look at Centurion Lounges... just about every man, woman and child has access and the amenities are at best a nuisance to use and at worst impossible. Look at PP lounges, some are being turned away because of the sheer volume of people with access.

Make no mistake, giving away diamond to anyone who can hold a minimum wage job is going to greatly dilute the value of this tier.
Good point or look at how crowded the Skyclubs are (it's gotten a little better since they stopped allowing guesting on credit cards). And with the PP benefits coming out with these cards it will only be worse. At least the holder isn't getting unlimited guests like some of the cards give out (I think it should be a one guest maximium on any priority pass)

And the leisure travelers are some of the worst abusers of the lounges since they are travelling with family members a lot of time. Hopefully if overcrowding becomes an issue those lounges will have a dragon with names and will only the diamond and one guest in like the Paris Opera lounge does
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by kb9522
I highly doubt that hordes of minimum wage employees are going to sign up for a card with a $450 AF and swamp thes business centers and lounges of Hilton resorts, many of which charge a nightly rate in excess of $200 per night!

If a middle class leisure traveler gets this card for a once or twice a year vacation, I still will not be affected 95% of the time as a Diamond sitting in a lounge at a work hotel in Cleveland.

Although lounge overcrowding is a legitimate concern, I think the assertion that a $450 AF credit card will cause massive lounge overruns from coast to coast is a bit unfounded.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
I highly doubt that hordes of minimum wage employees are going to sign up for a card with a $450 AF and swamp thes business centers and lounges of Hilton resorts, many of which charge a nightly rate in excess of $200 per night!
I'm not suggesting that they will. I'm simply illustrating how little one has to earn to be able to afford the card.

If a middle class leisure traveler gets this card for a once or twice a year vacation, I still will not be affected 95% of the time as a Diamond sitting in a lounge at a work hotel in Cleveland.
Except that middle class leisure traveler is bringing an entire family, possibly including (sometimes young) children. And the next day it will be a different family, and so on. But what it really comes down to is the lower expectations by these people... It allows Hilton to get away with poorer service, fewer amenities, etc. Once they realize they can save a few bucks, you think they won't?

Although lounge overcrowding is a legitimate concern, I think the assertion that a $450 AF credit card will cause massive lounge overruns from coast to coast is a bit unfounded.
I only used the lounge examples as an illustration of what happens when you open the floodgates. The value of access to those lounges goes through the floor. Same thing here, Diamond will be even less valuable when everyone has it.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
$250 Hilton resort statement credit - Is this only for resort hotels - is there a list of which ones are eligible for this credit?
Yes, www.hilton.com/resorts lists out all of our resort hotels. You need to use your Aspire card to pay for the resort stay at one of these hotels in order to earn the $250 statement credit.

Thanks,
Lauren
When Lauren says "stay" I believe this means that we can use the credit to pay for the room, not just incidentals. Am I reading it wrong?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
When Lauren says "stay" I believe this means that we can use the credit to pay for the room, not just incidentals. Am I reading it wrong?
I guess stays count! Great! DT Anaheim here we come!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
That's not how I'm reading it.

She is saying you must pay for your stay with the Hilton Am Ex to qualify for the credit. So that would mean if you got a massage or ate dinner and charged it to your room those charges would be applied against the credit but you have to use your Hilton Am Ex to pay for the stay.

I find the 4.5 percent back on the Chase Sapphire reserve to be a better deal on Hilton stays with 12 points/$ charged on the Citi Hilton card with the devals, but if I were to chose to use the CSR card instead of the Hilton card the credit wouldn't qualify.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:57 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
What constitutes "flights booked directly with airlines"? When I book with an OTA, Expedia for example, the charge on my account is from the airline. It does not say the charge is from the OTA. Does this transaction qualify for the additional points under the new Hilton credit cards?
6x points for Ascend or 7x points for Aspire?

In the scenario above, if the charge on your statement is shown as the airline (and not as an OTA charge), then you would indeed earn 6x on the Business card and 7x on the Aspire card.

So you are reading it to include the base room rate, too, and I'm reading it to include incremental spend only.

The Hilton Resort statement credit includes all charges made on the Aspire card, room rate included.

From what I've seen in e-mails, it seems that Hilton is automatically enrolling us in credit cards, yes? I received notification that I am now an "Ascend" cardholder, but the old card didn't have an annual fee, but the Ascend card is $95/year... do we have a choice on this or do you waive the first year of fee at least?
American Express has purchased the Hilton Honors Cards from Citi and those cards will transition to American Express cards on January 30th. The email Hilton sent out last week outlined the following: Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Cards ($95 annual fee) will become Ascend Cards on January 30th and also carry a $95 annual fee. Citi Hilton Honors Signature Cards (no annual fee) will transfer to Hilton Honors American Express Cards with no annual fee.

Thanks,
Lauren
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond

American Express has purchased the Hilton Honors Cards from Citi and those cards will transition to American Express cards on January 30th. The email Hilton sent out last week outlined the following: Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Cards ($95 annual fee) will become Ascend Cards on January 30th and also carry a $95 annual fee. Citi Hilton Honors Signature Cards (no annual fee) will transfer to Hilton Honors American Express Cards with no annual fee.

Thanks,
Lauren
What happens if we downgrade from the $95 to the no fee citi card between now and Jan 30th?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:26 pm

I have to agree that some on here are overblowing the effect of the new card on Diamond status. Most of the benefits of Diamond status are not capacity limited. It doesn’t hurt you if someone else gets better internet or more points for a stay. The worry about lounge overcrowding is more relevant but even then I think it’s exaggerated.

I am one of those dreaded travelers that travels on my own dime for various reasons other than to earn a living (my business for earning a living rarely involves travel). I actually have earned gold status on stays or nights for the last couple of years and I think I have visited a lounge once. I rarely stay at a hotel that has a lounge and when I do it is usually closed on weekends. So even if I got diamond status I would not be crowding a lounge.

The comparison to airport lounges which I do frequent, is not very relevant. Everyone, including families with children, will use a lounge if they have access to it simply because it seems like a better choice than sitting at the gate. This is just not the same at a hotel. There is one airport choice but there are better choices for most families with kids in the Hilton portfolio. Even if they are at a hotel with a lounge, they also have a hotel room to hang out it, so the most they are likely to do is pick up a few bags of chips and cokes and leave. It’s easy for Hilton to add more bags of chips and cokes to a lounge without hampering your experience. I'm past the young kids stage but even then I would rather hang out in my room or be out sight seeing.

I may get the card because I am a flyertalk type and I can make it pay but really most average people who may have bitten on the Chase Sapphire Reserve are not going to have the stomach for another $450 annual fee. I know my spouse does not and that is with living with a flyertalker.

Even if I get the card the only time I am likely to visit a lounge might be on a once a year trip to Europe, the rest of the year I’ll just be earning more points at my usual Hilton Garden Inn and I promise it won’t bother you. I trust that Hilton and American Express will do what is in their best interests, so I don’t worry about whether or not it is a bad move for them. If it is, it will go away like the 50% point rebate on the Business Platinum.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Lauren, is there going to be any sign-up bonuses with any of these cards? Or just a transition?

How about Aspire, since that is a new product?

For the free weekend night stay, will that have to be a new reservation, or if we are already booked for a standard weekend night room can we sub out the paid stay for the free stay?

And thanks for keeping on top of all our questions.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Just make sure you fly Delta a lot if you use it for $50 gift cards since you can only apply one gift card per flight with delta
I've used three gift cards for a flight on Delta earlier this year.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
1. The one question I have that I didn't yet see answered is what happens if you already have 5 AMEX credit cards, and the converted one pushes you to 6? I suspect this is an AMEX question and not a HH one.

2. Thanks to Lauren for continuing to answer questions.

3. I'd rather do the $40k spend on the Surpass/Ascend for Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.