Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Do we have any informed speculation on whether the Ascend will officially be a separate Amex product from Surpass (thus making current/recent Surpass cardholders eligible for the signup bonus) or just a refresh?
I think you got the new cards confused. It's Ascend which is an upgrade to Surpass, both giving Gold. Aspire is the totally new card that gives Diamond.

So I would say Aspire will be separate, but we don't know yet how they'll consider Ascend relative to Surpass.

We don't know, for example, if they'll "force" Surpass cardholders to Ascend (ie, telling them their AF is going up and the name of the card is changing and they're new getting new benefits, sort of like happened with the Amex SPG card a few years back where the AF did go up, there were new benefits, except the name didn't change in that case), or if they'll keep Surpass holders alive indefinitely but stop taking new applications for it, or what.

And datapoints on how it works might come too late (ie, they may come only after the last time to cancel before auto-conversion, if any, has gone by). So you may have to just guess (cancel Surpass now in case Ascend counts as a separate product later) if you really care.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Any idea when these will be mailed out?
Citi Hilton Honors Card members can expect their new Hilton Honors American Express Cards to be mailed in mid-January.

Is the Aspire card metal like the Amex Plat?

We are still working through the final production specifications of our new Cards.

I have a CitiCard that will be transferred to the new Ascend. Is it possible to request an upgrade to an Aspire card once I get the Ascend card in 2018?

Yes, cardmembers will be able to upgrade to the Aspire Card in 2018.

If I upgrade to aspire, will I get the aspire free night plus the free night I already earned with Citi spending?
Yes, your weekend night reward tied to your Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card will be fulfilled, assuming meet the $10,000 spend requirement regardless if you apply for the Aspire Card or not.

Thanks all,
Lauren

Lauren, Thanks for all the information on this.
Can you clarify the timing on how the certificates would work.

My Citi Reserve Anv. Month is August, and I will meet the spending requirement before the Amex Switch in January.

If I upgrade to the Aspire Card in January and get the extra Cert as you mentioned,

1. When will the Cert from the Citi card be issued? ~ January or not until August 2018?

2. When will the Amex Aspire Cert be issued? At time of Upgrade to the card (~ Late Jan) or my previous Citi Anv. Month (August)

3. Moving forward, for every year in the future will the Cert. issue date be the new Amex Date or my original Citi Anv. Date
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Amex Calendar Year vs Citi MembershipYear

I am unclear about much I have to spend on the Amex Ascend card in order to receive the Free Night Certificate. On the Citi Hilton Reserve card, it is $10,000 a year based on the card holder's yearly membership date. The Amex Ascend card states that it is $15,000 a calendar year. My "year" with Citi ended last month. I paid my annual fee. Should I use my card in November and December? Will those purchases count toward my Free Night Certificate? How?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Who goes to a resort and eats no meals there?
It sounds like you haven't look at the list of Hilton resorts (for which there as a link in one of these threads) yet. Some of them are not all that real a resort, just classified as such. The DoubleTree in Anaheim that is technically a resort can be treated like just any other Anaheim hotel, can't it?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
$450 for Diamond? This tier will be saturated by those who have paid for this shortcut, in turn making benefits less accessible to those who actually earned it through stays. I will be moving all of my business to Marriott/SPG and using IHG as a backup.

Hilton deserves some backlash for this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Unless, as has been predicted by some, they follow IHG's lead for a higher level making HH Diamond via credit card similar to IHG Platinum ($49/year).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch

We don't know, for example, if they'll "force" Surpass cardholders to Ascend (ie, telling them their AF is going up and the name of the card is changing and they're new getting new benefits, sort of like happened with the Amex SPG card a few years back where the AF did go up, there were new benefits, except the name didn't change in that case), or if they'll keep Surpass holders alive indefinitely but stop taking new applications for it, or what.

And datapoints on how it works might come too late (ie, they may come only after the last time to cancel before auto-conversion, if any, has gone by). So you may have to just guess (cancel Surpass now in case Ascend counts as a separate product later) if you really care.
I got an email that says that Surpass holders will be transitioned to Ascend and new cards will be sent out in Jan. So Surpass holders are being forced to Ascend. I imagine that the new fee won't be assessed until the 2018 renewal. Amex has to send out change of T&C info. You can decide at that time to accept and keep the new Ascend card or decline and cancel.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It sounds like you haven't look at the list of Hilton resorts (for which there as a link in one of these threads) yet. Some of them are not all that real a resort, just classified as such. The DoubleTree in Anaheim that is technically a resort can be treated like just any other Anaheim hotel, can't it?
We do go to a real resort every year, and I can spend $250 in my sleep. Ridiculous that that DT is a resort. You just have to be aware of what you're reserving, and what your incremental spend might be.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
I fly SWA a lot nowadays so few incidentals to reimburse and am staying more in VRBOs.
Unless Amex modifies things for 2018, WN gift cards are reimbursed for both the Platinum and Preferred Gold travel 'incidental' program.

$250 in WN gifcard, free weekend night cert. for the Aspire would more than make up the $450 annual fee IMHO, regardless of the free Diamond and $200 in resort fees.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by pokeable
Unless Amex modifies things for 2018, WN gift cards are reimbursed for both the Platinum and Preferred Gold travel 'incidental' program.

$250 in WN gifcard, free weekend night cert. for the Aspire would more than make up the $450 annual fee IMHO, regardless of the free Diamond and $200 in resort fees.
Has this been verified? In AMex's T&C for the airline reimbursement:

This benefit doesn't offer credit toward airline tickets, mileage points purchases or mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, upgrades, duty–free purchases, or award tickets. (bolding my emphasis)

Gift cards are specifically excluded from the benefit.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
You know, I have had a lightbulb moment about this whole Aspire thing.

I think Hilton (and it is rather brilliant if you think about it)...is pitching it more to the leisure traveler (like me).

Hate to generalize, but many of the travelers who earn their Diamond status with BIS points are business travelers...many with their companies paying for all their travel, all their earned status.

Leisure travelers, like us (100% leisure since we are retired) will NEVER make Diamond on our own (unless we are super wealthy and then we wouldn't be staying at Hiltons, would we? )

But this is a way to give US a piece of the pie.

Business travelers don't stay at resorts...we do

Business travelers don't need airline perks since they get them expensed...we do

Business travelers don't travel on the weekends...we do

Sure, business travelers take their families on vacation during their off time, but they have usually accumulated so many miles/points that getting these "freebies" thrown their way is irrelevant. They already have their free flights, free rooms, top airline and hotel status...

Now, that being (maybe erroneously) thrown out there, I DO, ABSOLUTELY think that those who have to spend so much time on the road do deserve a special level above Diamond, but for us 100% leisure travelers it is a brilliant move on Hilton's part - garner loyalty from a new group, us leisure travelers. We're often all over the lot with where we stay since we are usually seeking out the best deal (since it's coming out of our own pockets all the time) - this way they steer us to Hilton stays.

Hey, why not? I'm happy to take part in the game.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:18 pm

Very well put. Agree completely. I am on the same boat and I am tempted.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by MountainGuy
Not happy that my diamond status with 111 nights this year can just be gotten with a credit card next year, but honestly I've pretty much stopped staying at hiltons in the US. While I've been treated *very* well overseas as a diamond, even at full Hilton's here it's completely hit or miss that they even acknowledge status.

That said, I'll get the card next year. I had planned on doing 30 stays next year anyway to get diamond with the least amount of time spent on property. SPG has treated me FAR better, and for where I've been staying I like it better.

Of course this week I'm staying at a soulless Courtyard, which just reinforces that for me that Marriott is bottom of my list. I hope SPG continues in some form or fashion, or that since Hyatt is evidently hiring all former SPG people that they become what SPG is now. I'll keep pushing for the 10 years of diamond to get lifetime, but I'm not a fan of this move by them.
Well put. When people only have to pay less than $450USD to get status, or heck many cards offer HH GLD that grant similar benefits except a few from HH Diamond, I really don't see how good it is to stay with Hilton. I may stay with them occasionally, but I really cannot fathom staying too often to just shoot for HH Diamond especially when this card is in place.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Has this been verified? In AMex's T&C for the airline reimbursement:

This benefit doesn't offer credit toward airline tickets, mileage points purchases or mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, upgrades, duty–free purchases, or award tickets. (bolding my emphasis)

Gift cards are specifically excluded from the benefit.
It (gift cards) are specifically excluded from the Amex Plat and PRG card's airline reimbursement, but for whatever reason, work on WN.

Caveat emptor, but if the Aspire travel credit works like the other Amex travel credits, WN gift cards SHOULD work (for now). There is a wiki thread for WN reimbursements in the Amex forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...west-only.html
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522
$450 for Diamond? This tier will be saturated by those who have paid for this shortcut, in turn making benefits less accessible to those who actually earned it through stays. I will be moving all of my business to Marriott/SPG and using IHG as a backup.

Hilton deserves some backlash for this.
Easier said than done. When I'm mostly traveling in domestic USA, I found the cities I go to have Hilton properties or independent ones (some IHG). I'm a SPG first guy and I find it hard to find SPG properties in most cities I go to, or the location of the properties are not as desirable as Hilton ones.

And I think Hilton understands this. Most people are Hilton Diamond because Hilton properties are everywhere in domestic USA. You can't say the same for SPG (and definitely not Hyatt).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.